The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2024, 05:21 AM   #26
popeyestruck

Re: Fuel line question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It shouldn't throw off the placement of the hangers at all. It just adds an extra clamp or a weld at the spot where the made to ship easly pipes go together.

Unless you are planning on showing the truck in judged Chevy truck shows the number of hangers and location doesn't mean a lot exceop tou need the pipe securely mounted with hangers that have enough give to allow it a bit of flex and wiggle room going down the road.
I only have 2 of the hanger supports on my truck. One near the tailpipe and one right in the middle of the muffler where the E brake passes thru. . So theres those two and the manifold connection holding it in place. Maybe I have something out of place. I have the muffler right behind the cab under the bed??

Last edited by popeyestruck; 02-25-2024 at 10:06 AM.
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 12:35 PM   #27
mr48chev

Scroll down to page 410/726 That is the start of the exhaust section. https://www.trifive.com/d1/55-59Assy.pdf

Save the link to your favorites as it answers a lot of questions one has and it is one of the resources we answer questions with.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM   #28
dsraven

yeah, thats the same page I entioned earlier. lots of great info in the manual. yes, sometimes not the greatest definition on the lettering etc, like a printed copy would have, but if you are just trying to figure out how it looks and aren't doing a numbers matching build then it's all you need.
think of it how it is, you are hanging an exhaust system. it needs to bolt up to the manifold at one end and then be supported along it's length till it exits. it needs some flexibility a little way back from the manifold connection so there is some allowance for the engine moving under torque, it is usually good to support the pipe somewhere around the muffler as this is the heaviest part of the system, and it is good to keep a distance from any frame or body parts along the way so nothing rubs under movement from engine torque or general frame/body flexing over different terrain etc.
if you were to look at a modern vehicle the system hangs on the manifold and then nottoo far away is usually a flex joint/pipe to allow a lot of flex from the engine torque, then a little back from there is a very flexible hanger system, usually rubber of some sort, that hangs the pipes and mufflers etc.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:06 PM   #29
dsraven

personally, on a vehicle that has not got the more modern rubber hanger mounts, I like to use this style of hanger which simply uses a cheap clamp to attach to the pipe. on the frame end of things i usually use a short length of flat bar as a washer to keep the fastener from working through the rubber. the rubber on these is like a tire or conveyor belt material with lots of fiber strands to keep it flexible but not easily stretched out and broken.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-8462
this style is another of my favorite styles as it has a captured rod laid in the rubber bed that is firmly attached to the frame end, then the rod can be bent and welded onto the pipe as needed or a bracket can be welded on where needed to firmly blot it to the muffler or pipe. it can also be bent into a shape to accept one of those rubber donuts that you see on more mosern vehicle exhaust hangers
https://www.ecsexhaust.com.au/exhaus...ber-mount-10mm
like these
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...p.0128746.html

you'll get it figured out once you get the pipes strung out under the truck. originally the systems may have been one piece but then they were probably hung before the axle went into the truck
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote