The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2019, 12:56 AM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Wheel Mathematical question

Hi:
I am confused about understanding wheels back spacing and offset, even after all these years!
First thing first: Back spacing is the distance between wheel mounting surface to the lip of the wheel on the back side, Offset is the position of the wheel mounting surface in regards to the center of the wheel based on its width. Correct?
Now, this seems to be a simple calculation unless my understanding of the backspacing and offset above is wrong. For example, If a wheel is 8" wide with 4" back spacing, that means the wheel mounting surface is 4" away from wheel rear lip which means the mounting surface is at the mid center of wheel which is 4" which means the offset has to be zero!
So why and how an 8" wide wheel with 4" back spacing can have positive or negative offset? What am I missing?
Thanks
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Wheel Mathematical question

I don't know, but I've never gotten into the whole modern wheel thing. Wheels used to all have a backspace that would allow any wheel with the same bolt pattern to fit a vehicle with the same bolt pattern. When buying wheels you just got the diameter and width you wanted and unless you measured for your own curiosity, you never knew the backspace. From that standpoint and through all those years, to me "offset" equates to what we referred to as "dish", the opposite of backspace, the depth to center on the front, which would be the balance of the backspace figure when subtracted from the width. You could do the math if you really needed to know what those figures equated to in what you refer to as "offset", but I don't know why that would matter. I've never run across any cases of wheel offset not being the balance of the width after subtracting the backspace. Do you have an example?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-27-2019 at 10:11 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
Sheepdip

This might help
https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/wheels/pi...eloffset_2.gif
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
Hi:
I am confused about understanding wheels back spacing and offset, even after all these years!
First thing first: Back spacing is the distance between wheel mounting surface to the lip of the wheel on the back side, Offset is the position of the wheel mounting surface in regards to the center of the wheel based on its width. Correct?
Now, this seems to be a simple calculation unless my understanding of the backspacing and offset above is wrong. For example, If a wheel is 8" wide with 4" back spacing, that means the wheel mounting surface is 4" away from wheel rear lip which means the mounting surface is at the mid center of wheel which is 4" which means the offset has to be zero!
So why and how an 8" wide wheel with 4" back spacing can have positive or negative offset? What am I missing?
Thanks
Wheels are measured at the bead surface for the tire,... not overall width.
A 8" wheel actually measure 9" overall.
So a zero offset 8" wheel will have a 4.5" backspace.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Look at this thread,...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=530806

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
Stormin08

a high offset (Positive) usually means deep backspacing, a low offset (negative) means less back space and deeper dish.

think in the terms of a FWD car of a high performance car with the track width pushed out wide...you need a deep offset to get under the car. recent heavy duty trucks are receiving the same treatment...look at the newer gm hd trucks, wheels have like 6" BS. an 8" wheel that has 50mm positive offset / or 6" bs.
Attached Images

Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
Nima
Blue 67

Thanks for the all replies. This subject has been bothering me since it is one of those things that you never learned and you always have taken somebody's else world for it without understanding it!
First, it doesn't sounds right to me that these two values have been measured by different measuring standards, one by inch and one by millimeter!
This is where this old brain of mine hurts! If you have an 8" wide wheel ( which would be 9" wide from outside lip to lip approximately) with zero offset, which means the mounting surface is at the exact center of the wheel (4" from the either side of the inside of the lips and approximately 4.5" from the outside of the lips) this wheel has to have 4.5" backspacing. In another word an 8" wheel with 4.5" back spacing, mathematically, has to have zero offset since if you change the offset (wheel mounting surface) the backspacing will change automatically but then how come they are different offset ratings for such a wheel?!
Does this make sense?
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Not everyone wants a zero offset wheel.
That’s why they make different offsets.

Personally I only talk in “backspacing”.
Those number match my tape measure.
Sometimes people run different width rearends to gain a deeper lip wheel. As in a narrowed rearend.
I like my wheels tucked inside the fenders more than most.
That requires custom backspacing.
Bagged vehicles for example, need more backspacing than a static dropped or stock truck.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #9
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't know, but I've never gotten into the whole modern wheel thing. Wheels used to all have a backspace that would allow any wheel with the same bolt pattern to fit a vehicle with the same bolt pattern. When buying wheels you just got the diameter and width you wants and unless you measured for your own curiousity, you never knew the backspace. ...
Yeah, that's what I always thought until I tried to adapt 6-hole wheels from an 88-98 pickup to a 4wd squarebody. The bolt pattern works fine but the center hole and backspacing don't. The center hole can be "fixed" but the backspacing causes the wheel to hit the tie rod end.

That was my expensive education about backspacing. I suppose one could use spacers but I've heard various opinions about the safety of those and besides they cost as much as new wheels.

For some reason the trend of nearly all "newer" vehicles is wider axles and high backspace wheels. The only reason I can see for this is maybe the extra width is needed to allow for the CV axles of IFS FWD and 4WD vehicles ???
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
Stormin08

you really should measure from inside the lip, verify with an overall width for clearance.

i prefer BS to offset, but if understand 25.4 mm is 1", you can figure it out...just remember Positive vs Negative

he bad is NOT ALL wheel manufactures make all BS/Offsets, you can get close...but not always.

i run a COYS WHEEL, currently a 7" wide front with 4.25 BS, i would love it to have 4.5...
Old 06-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin08 View Post
you really should measure from inside the lip, verify with an overall width for clearance.

i prefer BS to offset, but if understand 25.4 mm is 1", you can figure it out...just remember Positive vs Negative

he bad is NOT ALL wheel manufactures make all BS/Offsets, you can get close...but not always.

i run a COYS WHEEL, currently a 7" wide front with 4.25 BS, i would love it to have 4.5...
This is why the new "Speedway" wheel is so popular.
Billet Specialties decided to come up with an affordable wheel (aka Chinese made like all the other cheap wheels),.. that actually FIT most old cars and trucks.
THEY GOT THE BACKSPACE NUMBERS CORRECT,... when all the other companies were just guessing.
They come in gray centered wheels and full polished as shown below.
Contact member Way2lo2 here on the board or check them out at http://www.billetspecialties.com/whe...ies/speedway-/

I think Summit Racing even sells them.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
The Rocknrod

Unless of course you have a step-side.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Unless of course you have a step-side.
Why do you say that?
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Wheels are measured at the bead surface for the tire,... not overall width.
A 8" wheel actually measure 9" overall.
So a zero offset 8" wheel will have a 4.5" backspace.
So that concerns me as I thought about an 8" wide 17" Dia. wheel in the back of my stepside. With the bulge of the sidewalls I'm not sure, what do you think?:
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
So that concerns me as I thought about an 8" wide 17" Dia. wheel in the back of my stepside. With the bulge of the sidewalls I'm not sure, what do you think?:
Looks like you have 12 inches of total room..
If you have a 17x8 Wheel you need a 4.5 inch bs to center it in the fender.
And that leaves 1.5” of wheel gap on either side of the wheel.
If I’m looking at your spec sheet right.

What size tire do you plan to run?

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #16
The Rocknrod

Not sure something 27" Tall that will fit.
Why do I keep thinking a 4" bs will center it in there? Where is my thought process flawed?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #17
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Not sure something 27" Tall that will fit.
Why do I keep thinking a 4" bs will center it in there? Where is my thought process flawed?
Like I said above,... wheels are measured at the tires bead surface.
The overal width of most all wheels are 1” wider overall.
A 17x8 Wheel will actually measure 9” wide over all.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #18
The Rocknrod

Oh then that's a good thing. Finding an 8" wheel with a four inch backspace was getting tiring. They were all 4.5" backspace. I was thinking custom wheel cash was in the future.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #19
Stormin08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
This is why the new "Speedway" wheel is so popular.
Billet Specialties decided to come up with an affordable wheel (aka Chinese made like all the other cheap wheels),.. that actually FIT most old cars and trucks.
THEY GOT THE BACKSPACE NUMBERS CORRECT,... when all the other companies were just guessing.
They come in gray centered wheels and full polished as shown below.
Contact member Way2lo2 here on the board or check them out at http://www.billetspecialties.com/whe...ies/speedway-/

I think Summit Racing even sells them.
if your CHINESE made is correct, which it probably is ( as most cast are)...then the issue i had was this, once the stock is sold out...a 1yr plus wait or very high prices due to the tariffs.

i am all for the tariffs, but some one should start casting again within the US..
Old 06-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #20
Custom 68

Great thread, I am gonna bookmark it!
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #21
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin08 View Post
if your CHINESE made is correct, which it probably is ( as most cast are)...then the issue i had was this, once the stock is sold out...a 1yr plus wait or very high prices due to the tariffs.

i am all for the tariffs, but some one should start casting again within the US..
Boris Maryanovsky at StreetMachinery in Euclid, Ohio has them in stock and ready to ship.
He was the one that worked with Billet Specialties to develop these wheel.
(they are Chinese, like Coys and Ridler, etc)
He's one of the biggest dealers of Billet Specialties wheels in the country.
I follow him on Instagram and Facebook.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 06-26-2019 at 10:21 AM.