The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
Chris Kersey

Heater Help Needed - 1960 Apache

Hello All!

Proud to be making my first post!

Acquired a 1960 Apache in July. Hood is a 63/64, from what I can tell. In July, my knowledge of vehicular mechanics extended to the limit of how to change a battery.

That said, over the last 4 months, I’ve successfully replaced the plugs, plug wires, alternator, slave cylinder, master cylinder, fuel pump, water pump, window regulator, starter, and carburetor (including the tuning) - all on my own (with a whole lot of help YouTube, Google, and this Site!)

As Winter approaches, my attention is now on the Heater - but, I have no idea where to start. Can anyone point me in a good direction? When adjusting the ‘Air’ and ‘Fan’ tabs, nothing happens at all. Assuming the wiring to unit is the culprit, but again - I have no idea what I’m doing, as far as the Heater. Components look pretty good, but I’m not underestimating the ‘unknown’.

To give some history, the truck sat for 6-7 years prior to my ownership. Also, as you can see in photos attached- after market AC is in place. It works. Can anyone help me out by sending me in a good direction relative to getting the Heater going? I love using this gem as my daily driver, but we’re beginning to have colder mornings here in central Georgia!

Thanks in advance, for any direction you can give!

Chris
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Chris Kersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
cj847

Re: Heater Help Needed - 1960 Apache

The heater is not all that complicated.

First search "all about heaters" on this forum

You didn't post an under hood shot. Is the heater core even hooked up?

There are basically 4 components that make up the heater:
-The heater core- takes hot water from the engine to provide the heat.These are frequently disconnected when they start to leak.
-The blower motor- blows air thru the heater core to push it into the cab.
-The heater resistor- allow 3 speeds for the blower motor. I can see from your pic you are going to need one.
-The switch- frankly I doubt it's the problem but it could be.

Not sure your electric test understanding or test equipment, but I would start with testing the blower motor by applying 12v to the motor directly, if it runs it is likely OK.
Next I would test the three wires that go to the heater resistor. With the key on, check for 12v in each of the 3 positions. If you have power the switch is OK.

Worst case the heater core is <50, the resistor <20 and the blower motor about 20.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
DirectorBanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
The heater is not all that complicated.

First search "all about heaters" on this forum

You didn't post an under hood shot. Is the heater core even hooked up?

There are basically 4 components that make up the heater:
-The heater core- takes hot water from the engine to provide the heat.These are frequently disconnected when they start to leak.
-The blower motor- blows air thru the heater core to push it into the cab.
-The heater resistor- allow 3 speeds for the blower motor. I can see from your pic you are going to need one.
-The switch- frankly I doubt it's the problem but it could be.

Not sure your electric test understanding or test equipment, but I would start with testing the blower motor by applying 12v to the motor directly, if it runs it is likely OK.
Next I would test the three wires that go to the heater resistor. With the key on, check for 12v in each of the 3 positions. If you have power the switch is OK.

Worst case the heater core is <50, the resistor <20 and the blower motor about 20.
cj847 - Sincere ‘Thank You’ for getting me giving me some direction on where to start. I’ll definitely check the search query regarding Heaters also. Here are a couple of under the hood photos. Not sure where blower is actually located, for me to check voltage?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

DirectorBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:20 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

What you have is known as the recirculating heater. Everything is inside the cab, the heater core, the fan, etc. It can all be removed as a unit which can make repairs easier.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
cj847

cj847 - Sincere ‘Thank You’ for getting me giving me some direction on where to start. I’ll definitely check the search query regarding Heaters also. Here are a couple of under the hood photos. Not sure where blower is actually located, for me to check voltage?
Posted via Mobile Device

Your heater is different than mine but very similar. As Capt Fab said your entire unit is inside the cab.

It appears your heater core is still hooked up. If there is not a wet spot on the floor below it, it is likely OK. The motor is connected to that fan that looks like a hamster wheel. There is only one wire to it. If you can reach it, pull it off and apply 12V to the terminal on the motor.

Have you tried all the speeds of the fan switch? Usually, even if your resistor is broken the fan will run on high speed.

I failed to mention the simplest thing first - check your fuses!!
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
verdell

I would check fuses as mentioned before. It also looks like your fan blower motor resistor is damaged. The recirculating system is fairly simple to work on. There are 2 or 3 speednuts on the firewall in the engine compartment that hold the entire unit in place. Remove hoses from heater core and the entire unit should come out.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
The Rocknrod

Also on the FAQ section - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=646002
There are thread links to:
Heaters
heater core replacement, heater fan
antifreeze on the floorboard
discusses replacing the heater core under the hood on a 1965 C10.
1965 Chevrolet C10 - heater blower motor squeal?
heater motor fan issues/troubleshooting/fixes/replacement discussion.
What heater controls should I have? / March 2009 : 20+ posts(06/2013) w/ photos & scans of manuals
Am I missing something on my heater assembly? : February 2013
All about heaters. : October 2011 /115+ posts (12/2013)
60-66 Chevy and GMC heater information with lots of details.
Blower Motor Vent Tube Connector : February 2013
1966 C10 with a deluxe heater and factory a/c. replacement blower motor... parts to use for the rubber connector, to the blower motor vent hole
Delux Heater Control Rebuild
Replaced Heater Core : July 2014
Heater assembly : December 2012
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
PGSigns

The heater reostat is hanging by the wiring in the second row of pictures. That is the first thing you need to fix. You will need a new one and it get mounted in the the heater box with 2 screws. This controls the fan speed. With out it the fan wont run.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote