The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
Seth21

Help me plan my next truck - 10-15k Daily Driver

Hey guys, I'm been trolling around your forum for a few months planning my first C10 build. Admittedly, I'm more of a f*rd guy but the C10 just looks too good and I've been wanting an older truck for year.

I'm looking to spend around 10k to get the truck started and then expect it wont be finished and will need more along the way. I want to do a patina truck shortbed truck with fuel injection, disc brakes and a 5 speed. Not looking to take this thing to the drag strip, just a daily driver and I'd like to get around 20 mpg. I drive nearly all highway so i think it might be possible.

I have 3 general options.
1. Buy a truck that doesn't run or doesn't have an engine with LS swap out of the gate. Only caveat here is that I would be doing it at a friends shop so this would need to be really well executed so my truck isn't in his shop for 2 months. I would probably need to pay a premium on a few things just to get the swap done the quick way. I could finish the detail items like gauges at my house.

2. Buy a decent shape truck that is running with solid engine. Add disc brakes, boyd tank, holley terminator, pertronix ignitor and a few other tune up items.

3. Buy a nice truck that cost 10k. I don't really want to do this to be honest.

I'm leaning towards option 1 but I have considered the possibility that a 283 with a decent transmission and the holley terminator could get the same gas mileage as the 5.3. Gas mileage is important but I still want a truck that isn't slow.

What thoughts do you guys have/what would you do?
Seth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
flashed

Re: Help me plan my next truck - 10-15k Daily Driver

I would buy the nice truck for $10,000 and go from there ,buy the best you can afford.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Pappyx3!

Seth,

From reading your post, it sounds like you really want to build your DD. Reading between the lines also sounds like you want to drive it while upgrading it. Based on those two things I would suggest:

Find and buy a truck that has a good base for the build you want to do. If you want a Short fleet, don't settle for anything else.

Get something you can make safe and reliable with out alot of expense.

Then budget and plan for the updates that you want to have done and do them when parts and time is available.

Take your time and enjoy building the truck you want. Post lots of pics on whatever you decide.

Good Luck!

Pappyx4!

John 3:16
Pappyx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
siggyfreud

Easiest options are going to be #3, then #2 in that order.

It's always tough to build a DD as you drive it, but if you pick small enough projects and have weekends (or at least consecutive days where you don't need to drive) it can be done.

Including the cost of my truck ($3500) I likely have about 15k into the project so far, and it's not driveable yet, but is getting closer. I spent a lot of money taking things to the next level that wouldn't necessarily be required for every build. A good example of this is using braided stainless AN lines for the whole fuel system, vs solid lines that could likely be done much cheaper.

Whether you go with a 5.3 or inject a SBC will depend largely on what the truck comes with. If it has no motor, it might be just as cost-effective to get a 5.3 (or something similar). If, however, it already has a smallblock, then you're just looking at the cost of a fuel injection setup (which can vary wildly).

I expect my custom-injected 350 is going to get similar power and economy to an LS1, but honestly the LS1 route would have been cheaper. I wanted to do something different, and thus the price went up.

Ultimately it's up to you, but definitely try and be realistic about what it's going to cost. You can check out my build to see where some of the money has gone. There are other items included in my 15k that I've spent that haven't been installed, such as all the wiring and gauges.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Seth21

Thanks all for the replies! Option 3 is definitely the easiest but as pappy3x picked up on, I'm not really a fan of that. Just because I haven't had a car to work on in a few years.

Right now I am favoring option number 1. Mainly because I don't actually need the truck right now or even in the next few months. I'm trying to get this C10 started/ready to be my daily driver as my current lame car (explorer) is getting a bit tired.

I've seen some decent trucks come up on craigslist for 1.5k-3k that either had no engines/trannys or the engine was a goner. One of my friends is a jam up mechanic and said he would help get the engine/tranny in and then I could trailer it back to my house to finish the job.

Looks like I could get an LS1 for the price of the holley terminator kit - although I'm still a fan of the kit. Just doesn't make as much sense when I'm starting from scratch.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
joedoh

I would say the cheapest way to do it is #3. I have done a lot of projects and I dont regret them. but its always been a case of getting done and finding the same basic truck for sale for less than it cost to do the work. its easy to look at a 5-7k patina truck and a 1500 dollar 5.3 swap kit and say, "oh man, for 6500-8500 I will have a sweet truck" but its like siggy says, the devil is in the details. ALL the details.

I think if you find a 5.3 swapped truck for 10k, you buy it and count your savings because 1. that will be hard to find a swb swapped truck at that price (I have watched a lot of trucks sell and others are bringing 2-3 times that) and 2. there is nothing gained doing it your way if its not going to be substantially different than what you can buy, at that point its just a pride thing.

oh and I get 22mpg combined in my daily driven efi air conditioned disc brake 5 spd truck, just no 5.3/V8 though.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
siggyfreud

Definitely the most cost-effective was is to find something nearly done. I was selling my project for 6-8k when I thought I was moving permanently to downtown Chicago, so someone would have nabbed it for nearly 50 cents on the dollar.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
joedoh

and seth you must have replied when I was typing, but one more thing: if you are looking at 1-3k trucks as starting points, better double or triple your spend budget. rust repair is a very real and very expensive proposition. ask anyone who has done floor and rocker and even roof repair, most (not all) will say if had to do again they would spend more on the donor, and most again would say they spent more on repairs than a better donor halfway across the country would have cost them.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
ol_skool_chevy

I would go with a LS motor everyday drive you can fire and drive. no warm up time..more fuel effective

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #10
dougf

Option number 3 if you can afford it by a long shot. You will ALWAYS find things to upgrade and work on with a truck that nice, plus you can drive and enjoy a reliable truck, which would be so so nice. My trucks been apart for 3 years now... Think about that
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Option #æ

Spend $3500 on a high mileage s10, an spend $11,500 on a second truck that you can build over time.... doesn't get used all year round, built in a hurry, and can be insured as a hobbyist/classic saving you a sh!t ton especially if your a younger guy.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
Seth21

I'll probably just need to troll craigslist for a month or two and see what pops up. I've been looking for the last month and did see one LS truck but it was at 14k and still needed brakes so I thought it was too much

The good news is my car now is still reliable so I can be alittle patient about it. I might just have to go with whatever the C10 gods point my way. Whether it is the more expensive driver or a rolling body with no engine.

The best news is that my wife has already approved this project and budget and we all know that's the hardest part of these things.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:09 AM   #13
spacedebris

What I would do personally is a combination of 1 and 2.

Purchase a decent running truck, any engine, and drive it. A good 292 or 305 should be plenty reliable enough for a time.

While driving, piece together your LS/trans combo. Build up the engine to your liking. Source the breaks, suspension, and whatever else you desire for your truck. THEN once everything is ready, take a week or two to take to your friends shop and simply put it all together. That way you can drive your truck, source the parts you need for your specific needs, and then upgrade with a minimum of downtime. With your budget, you should be able to find a truck with little to no bodywork needed and a decent running driver for 7-9K easily. Less if you want to do some body work. That what I would do anyway.

Edit:

Here is an example, I dont know what year you want or if you like the stepside or not but.... http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5039700127.html

Its in your neck of the woods. Cant tell much as very little description and only a few pics. But looks decent. He has already dropped from $12000 to $9500 to $8500. I bet with cash in hand you'd be able to walk away at $7500-8000. Of course depending on how it looks in person. Just a thought.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009

Last edited by spacedebris; 05-29-2015 at 04:22 AM.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #14
62 Barnfind

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
What I would do personally is a combination of 1 and 2.

Purchase a decent running truck, any engine, and drive it. A good 292 or 305 should be plenty reliable enough for a time.

While driving, piece together your LS/trans combo. Build up the engine to your liking. Source the breaks, suspension, and whatever else you desire for your truck. THEN once everything is ready, take a week or two to take to your friends shop and simply put it all together. That way you can drive your truck, source the parts you need for your specific needs, and then upgrade with a minimum of downtime. With your budget, you should be able to find a truck with little to no bodywork needed and a decent running driver for 7-9K easily. Less if you want to do some body work. That what I would do anyway.

Edit:

Here is an example, I dont know what year you want or if you like the stepside or not but.... http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5039700127.html

Its in your neck of the woods. Cant tell much as very little description and only a few pics. But looks decent. He has already dropped from $12000 to $9500 to $8500. I bet with cash in hand you'd be able to walk away at $7500-8000. Of course depending on how it looks in person. Just a thought.
I agree!
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #15
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Definitely the most cost-effective was is to find something nearly done. I was selling my project for 6-8k when I thought I was moving permanently to downtown Chicago, so someone would have nabbed it for nearly 50 cents on the dollar.
I was going to be that guy......

Including import to England at as much as $4000.00 your truck was 10000% the right truck.

Thankfully it all came right for you.

Welcome to the board, you will find a load of good people on here, hope you get the right truck soon.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #16
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
I was going to be that guy......

Including import to England at as much as $4000.00 your truck was 10000% the right truck.

Thankfully it all came right for you.

Welcome to the board, you will find a load of good people on here, hope you get the right truck soon.
Well I'm glad at least I'm doing a build that has appeal to a wider audience than just myself .

OP, ultimately the line between most cost-effective, and most fun, can be a big one. You have to decide how much it's worth, but in cost of $$, downtime, headaches, etc to build something from the ground up vs. taking over a project, vs. buying something 90% complete. Each has their advantage/disadvantage. For me, the nostalgia factor definitely kicked in with my decision to do a ground-up. Had I just been looking for any good candidate truck, I likely would have found something between option 2 and 3.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

You can go with this one and not do a darn thing to it!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5013557476.html

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote