The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #26
skymangs

Re: 55 TF Stretched Cab/Fleetside/LSx/Trailblazer Frame

No, happiness is a burnt up Plasma tip! That's when you know you've been cutting too much... LoL
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #27
shadow1967

Great Project! GOOD LOOKING GTO.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #28
ricott

Thanks everyone for the replys!

Jean-Marc Lacasse - Your truck is so cool. I've followed your build for years, congratulations on approaching the finish line!

Rednek13x - I feel like a little schoolgirl whining about the cold when our daytime highs are between 20 and 40. It takes more man than I am to work in subzero!

Skymangs and Low Elco - I have to agree with Skymangs: a Plasma Cutter is the best, and I plan to work mine this weekend! But for work out in the junkyard, the trusty Sawsall is the absolute best.

Shadow1967 - Thanks for the complement on the GTO. My son and I have (mostly) enjoyed building that car, and it is a blast to drive. I love the way you and your dad have built your TF. I cant wait to see an outside shot of your stretched truck.

Thanks again everyone. It is supposed to be in the mid 50s Saturday and Sunday, so I plan to hit it hard on mocking up the cabs. Pictures (I hope) Sunday night. As always, more to come.

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #29
alaska gasser

I sense a lot of hours welding and grinding in your future!!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #30
ricott

This weekend was a great time to be in the garage. The cold and rain were gone, and I was motivated! I marked the cut line for the tops and floor pans of both cabs with soapstone or tape. I marked the “big window” rear section 9 inches longer than standard so that I could cut it down to 8 inches during the final fit up stage.

Next I welded diagonal bracing side to side and up and down on the inside the “front half” of the cab. I cut holes in the floor so that this bracing would extend to the cab dolly. I welded a small tab to the bottom of the bracing and used it to bolt the bracing to the cab dolly. My thought is by bolting this bracing to the cab dolly, it will prevent distortion when the cuts are made.

I sliced the big window cab through the top and doors and discarded the unneeded parts.

This takes me through mid-day. As always, more to come.

Ricky
Old 01-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #31
ricott

I sliced the small window cab through the top and doors, and slid the back section back 6 inches to see what that would look like. My son Andrew helped me remove the rear section of the small window cab and put it outside. My trusty watch cat hopped on that part to sun. The front part of the cab is left.

Next I marked some reference points on both cabs to aid in reattaching the cabs and made what I hoped would be the final cuts on the big window part. I had to do a lot of grinding/cutting to get to the final 8 inch stretch (I am also adding 2 inches at the "b" pillar thus the total stretch was 8 inches).

A lot of the afternoon was spent working the two sections together to the point we needed to make an eight inch stretch. Andrew and I removed, cut re installed and remeasured several times before it fit. I clamped everything down then welded the lower section of the two cabs together. Buggy (The guy that built Big Birtha) had PMed me and told me that a problem with these cabs is the top is tapered to the front -THANKS FOR THAT HEADS UP! Where the two "halves" joined at the top it was approximately half inch off. You can see it in the second picture.

To fix this, I will cross brace from the corner of each door bottom to the top of of the other door. I will then do relief cuts and pull/push the two sections until they line up. While I had planned to finish this up tomorrow afternoon, I have a list of "Honey dos", so I may not get back to it until later in the week. All in all, a very productive day! As always, more to come.

Ricky

Last edited by ricott; 01-11-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #32
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

You're making some really quick work! Nicely done!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #33
Kim57

Nice progress.
Looks good.
Kim
Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #34
ricott

Thanks guys for the comments, I'm happy it's going together as well as it is.
As expected, the rest of life kept me out of the garage yesterday. I need to pick up some steel tomorrow to do my crossbracing (I didn't have as much as I thought I did!). With a little luck I can have all that done so that Saturday will be a "kick butt" day in the garage.

I also have a question, one of my thoughts on this truck was to "pancake" the roof about 2 inches. I have always thought the roof sat up to high. I have seen pictures of roofs that have been pancaked, but if anyone reading this has a picture (or a link) to a TF Truck with some of the "fat" cut out of the roof, would you please notify me. Thanks.

Ricky
Old 01-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #35
JML55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
I also have a question, one of my thoughts on this truck was to "pancake" the roof about 2 inches. I have always thought the roof sat up to high. I have seen pictures of roofs that have been pancaked, but if anyone reading this has a picture (or a link) to a TF Truck with some of the "fat" cut out of the roof, would you please notify me. Thanks.

Ricky
I agree with you these truck sure look tall and there is lot of head room inside the cab. I put in a one piece fiberglass headliner in mine that is almost 1 1/2 inch of the inside roof panel and i still have lots of head room. I have an ouside visor on mine and that gives the illusion the the roof isnot so tall.
BTW cool project.
55 Belair
99 S10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316140
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=806011
JML55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #36
buggy5872

Looks like it's going good so far....Glad I could help you out a little.
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #37
dsraven

there was a good tech article on custom classic trucks or classic trucks, can't remember, but it was on panjcaking a roof withouty cutting the whiole thing off. mostly just the front part overhang on the windshield.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #38
ricott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML55 View Post
I agree with you these truck sure look tall and there is lot of head room inside the cab. I put in a one piece fiberglass headliner in mine that is almost 1 1/2 inch of the inside roof panel and i still have lots of head room. I have an ouside visor on mine and that gives the illusion the the roof isnot so tall.
BTW cool project.
I am considering the visor and that may be the answer. When I measured my S10 and my Envoy Denali, both are between 46 and 47 inches from floor to finished cealing - and both have ample headroom for me. This truck has 51 from unfinished floor to unfinished cealing - so I think I could loose 1 -2 inches and still be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
there was a good tech article on custom classic trucks or classic trucks, can't remember, but it was on panjcaking a roof withouty cutting the whiole thing off. mostly just the front part overhang on the windshield.
Thanks for your heads up on that article. I did a Google search (should have done that to start) and found the article in Custom Classic Trucks. While that pancake was a little severe for my taste, it had several good ideas. I think this will be added to the list (the dreaded "While I'm at it!).

Thanks again.

Ricky
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #39
blue57

Name:  bestofshow2011.jpg
Views: 2398
Size:  54.9 KB
Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #40
blue57

this will take you to a list of pics. Just click on best of show for 2012

http://www.truckshows.org/index-gal.php
Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #41
Russell Ashley

That black truck is trick from top to bottom, and obviously a high dollar truck, but does anyone else but me think it would have looked better if they had left the overhang over the windshield? That top just looks wrong to me.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #42
ricott

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue57 View Post
this will take you to a list of pics. Just click on best of show for 2012

http://www.truckshows.org/index-gal.php
Thanks for the link. That is a really good looking truck that someone spent a lot of time (and, I bet, money) on. I love that truck, but I'm not getting into a top chop that involves the windshield.

I'm looking for a picture of a 57 surburban that I think Ogre posted (I will go through his truk thread to see if it is in there). As I recall, they stretched the front doors by 6 inches (and added a second door on the passenger's side) and pancaked the roof two inches. As I remember, I really liked how that looked.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will temporarily weld the roof inner structure and leave the rest of the roof in its present state. Lord willing, (and my wifey doesn't come up a big last minute honey do) this weekend I plan to be working on the floor and firewall.

As always, more to come.

Ricky

Last edited by ricott; 01-14-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #43
ricott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
That black truck is trick from top to bottom, and obviously a high dollar truck, but does anyone else but me think it would have looked better if they had left the overhang over the windshield? That top just looks wrong to me.
I agree with you Russell, the look is to severe. My thought was to retain all of the overhang, but "decrown" the top by cutting out 1-2 inches of the rise all around. That involves a lot of "reconstructive surgery", but I did this years ago on another car. That was the thing I remember about the surburban I saw posted - the inch or two out of the top looked to be a "factory" job, which is the look I want. If anyone has a picture of the surburban, I would appreciate it if you would post. Thanks.

Ricky
Old 01-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #44
dsraven

the black truck is an awesome truck and somebody really spent a lot of planning, time (cashola) and work on it. it would take a whack of time just to source all the stuff on it, like outside mirrors. quite a craftsman put it together I think. was it done in the back garage somewhere or was if farmed out to a shop? that said, it is just not the look I am going for with the roof. I like the eyebrow over the windshield personally. some people would say the same about my project, like "why did you do that?" but, it is MY project so I do what I like. just me thinking out loud though. I bet lots of us see other projects and take snippets from them all to mentally add this or that to our trucks, probably with a little twist so it is different but sort of the same. that is what gives them personality. it's an art form man, ha ha. ever seen a bunch of guys standing back staring at a just finished project?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #45
dsraven

maybe it is beeps thread-52 gmc envoy burb meld, page 17 is where the roof gets cut off. pretty cool thought processes and some bold moves. i wonder if he sleeps at night or just dreams up stuff to do to his project, ha ha. I dunno if I could do that without thinking I would screw up a good truck somehow. it looks like it is not his firsat rodeo.
dennis
Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #46
BBEEP

Hahaha!!! Are you the peeping Tom?
61 Impala Wagon SOLD BARRETT JACKSON SCOTTSDALE 1-18-13
67 c/10 SOLD 2012
71 SS454
77 c/20 Sold 11-11-15
08 TBSS The Wife's car!!
50 GMC School Bus SOLD 11-7-10
29 F**D Delivery (Chevy powered) SOLD 11-4-11

53 GMC 630 Firetruck/Ramp Truck
BBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #47
BBEEP

Too bad you aren't closer. I found it easier to get an extra firewall and make a template. That way I only had to merge the 52 body with the Envoy once.
BBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #48
ricott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
maybe it is beeps thread-52 gmc envoy burb meld, page 17 is where the roof gets cut off. pretty cool thought processes and some bold moves. i wonder if he sleeps at night or just dreams up stuff to do to his project, ha ha. I dunno if I could do that without thinking I would screw up a good truck somehow. it looks like it is not his firsat rodeo.
dennis
You were right. I had forgotten BBeep cut the roof. What he did is what I'm shooting for.

BBeep - Your merge of the old and new is what I have planned to do. Thanks for all your documentation along the way.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #49
ricott

Well it didn't take long for my day job to start getting in the way of fun in the garage. I spent last week in Dallas working and will be headed back in 10 days for another week. At least it has been cold so I haven't missed working in the garage that much. Before I left for Dallas I went to the salvage yard and had them load up the part of the Trailblazer cab. It was so cold I didn't get any pictures until I got home (and warmed up).

On MLK (a really warm 65) I stripped the cab down and got it in the garage.

Today I began drilling spotwelds and also marked off where the cuts will be made. The yellow tape in the center of the floorpan/firewall is my reference point.

The rest of this week (until the weekend) will be really cold, so I plan to work in the house on the wifey's list. I hope to be cutting up the floorpan on Saturday. As always, more to come.
Ricky
Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #50
Bomp

Wow, Wish I'd caught the start of this build sooner. I've noticed the name ricott at the bottom of my thread but never thought to click on it to see whats up. Finally I clicked and Wow, You have a project. The type of project that I really dig. Not the," I ordered something and the brown truck dropped it off" (Not that theres anything wrong with those builds) but cutting up, total reconstruction, mind blowing stuff man. Oh yeah, and stretching<------- the most important part!
I wish I caught this in the beginning. On mine so far the most PITA has been the outer roof skin. (which Im attempting for the second time) am starting again.
I read MP&C and theastronaut. MP&C 55 build has tought me sooo much. May lend a hand in roof skin fixes.
Anyhow,,,, I started reading and saw the " thanks BOMP " and the many other names at the beginning of the build.
Im behind ya on this build. Cold, rainy, spiders ( I don't like spiders either) Looks like you have a great start.
This is gonna be cool! Way Cool! Now stop reading my babbling babble and get to cuttin'
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote