The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2017, 05:23 AM   #1
MASTERBrian

Stopping rust inside door panel

While working on getting everything lubed and working properly on my door, I noticed what resembles a bunch of rock wool in the bottom of my door(s). Someone told me it might be what they originally sprayed the inside of doors with to somewhat sound deaden the door. It's that our the work if pack rats, but never the less, it was damp and needed to come out, which it did.

Now I'm tasked with, how do I treat the insides of my doors so they don't rust any more than already probably are? Spray rust neutralizer in there and hope for the best? I also have a jug of metal etch.....is that a good solution?

If I can get satisfactory results from one of those or something else, what's a good way to coat the inside to protect from future? Spray it with primer and paint and hope for best once again? I'd also like to deaden the panels so what about sound deadening spray? Keep in mind I don't have much access and I don't want to cut the door open.

This is on a 1960 door.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:08 AM   #2
Scott2

Re: Stopping rust inside door panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post
While working on getting everything lubed and working properly on my door, I noticed what resembles a bunch of rock wool in the bottom of my door(s). Someone told me it might be what they originally sprayed the inside of doors with to somewhat sound deaden the door. It's that our the work if pack rats, but never the less, it was damp and needed to come out, which it did.

Now I'm tasked with, how do I treat the insides of my doors so they don't rust any more than already probably are? Spray rust neutralizer in there and hope for the best? I also have a jug of metal etch.....is that a good solution?

If I can get satisfactory results from one of those or something ejlse, what's a good way to coat the inside to protect from future? Spray it with primer and paint and hope for best once again? I'd also like to deaden the panels so what about sound deadening spray? Keep in mind I don't have much access and I don't want to cut the door open.

This is on a 1960 door.
I expect you may get better answers but here's what I've done (and if I see a better answer I'll change my approach).

I clean the door as best as I can - and then hose it out outside and blow it out with air, and tilt it so you get all the water out. Once dry, I lay it flat on one of those folding stands, inside up and tape up the obvious holes, like door locks, from the outside. Then I pour some rust encapsulator inside and tilt the door around until it's completely covered inside. Often you can see it seeping thru the edge of the door skin. Then I tilt the door up and pour the excess out a drain hole. Once well drained, I lay it back down, do my best to wipe off any leaks and drips, and leave it until it dries. Seems to work great for me. I have a quart of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator waiting for my doors.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #3
Scott2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post

If I can get satisfactory results from one of those or something ejlse, what's a good way to coat the inside to protect from future? Spray it with primer and paint and hope for best once again? I'd also like to deaden the panels so what about sound deadening spray? Keep in mind I don't have much access and I don't want to cut the door open.

This is on a 1960 door.
Xx

Last edited by Scott2; 05-02-2017 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Duplicate posting
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
Misled

This stuff is supposed to be really good but I have not used it yet.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision...vity-wax-plus/
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Port&PolishMan

If Your Door is in Good Shape - I would use the Wax ..
They also make a Wax Similar - Land Rover has been using it for Decades

Two Different Types _ 1 Type Flows very Slowly forever .
Other Type Flows then Hardens down in all the Seams and Welds - to Keep Out
O2 and Water ..

This Type of Wax - will do other Things for Your Doors LOL :
http://www.waxcenter.com/

Land Rovers : http://www.waxoilme.co.uk/?page_id=4

Buy It Here in Spray Can Dinitrol Range - RC 900 Rust Converter goes about 8 times Deeper then Others .. Video's on Line . .

Then there is the Home Made Version - Maritime Solution .
2 1/2 quarts turpentine
12 oz. beeswax / candle wax
1 quart light machine oil

With a cheese shredder, cut the wax into the turpentine, stir until the wax has dissolved, (takes a long time; you can use very low heat (a warm room) to aid but be careful) and thin with the machine oil to a brushable / sprayable consistency. Apply liberally. You can use a hand spray bottle to get into closed-off sections if you have a small access hole.

Land Rover - Swedes Volvo's : Spray Type
http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...006&type=0&eq=
Port&PolishMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Scott2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2 View Post
I expect you may get better answers but here's what I've done (and if I see a better answer I'll change my approach).

I clean the door as best as I can - and then hose it out outside and blow it out with air, and tilt it so you get all the water out. Once dry, I lay it flat on one of those folding stands, inside up and tape up the obvious holes, like door locks, from the outside. Then I pour some rust encapsulator inside and tilt the door around until it's completely covered inside. Often you can see it seeping thru the edge of the door skin. Then I tilt the door up and pour the excess out a drain hole. Once well drained, I lay it back down, do my best to wipe off any leaks and drips, and leave it until it dries. Seems to work great for me. I have a quart of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator waiting for my doors.
Update --- I am finally doing my doors and after getting them clean I poured some Ospho inside. It converts the rust and stops it. I rolled the door around and got it in the seams and it worked great. I bought my Ospho at a nearby marine store. Next up is a coat of the rust encapsulator just in case and as a more finished surface.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
Macdaddy1

I have used Fluid Film which is very similar to the waxoilme product. Google it and checke it out.
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote