The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #76
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

I'm gonna call shortly...want me to inquire about one for you? OR, IF I end up buying I'll GIVE you my driver's door but I don't know if you'd want it. I'd be taking off everything for reuse other than the bare shell. Let me know.

P.S. I also have a relative in San Diego so he could deliver it...curbside service!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #77
FFredo

Nice!,
Someone at some time thought the best way to fix the lower hinge on my drivers door was to WELD it in place. Thats right I said weld it in...
I'd reather just replace the door as oposed to rebuild it, but if I cant get one form the guy in PX I'll take your skinless door..
Thanks in advance..
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #78
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFredo View Post
Nice!,
Someone at some time thought the best way to fix the lower hinge on my drivers door was to WELD it in place. Thats right I said weld it in...
Must have been the same guy that owned the '57 small window I had years ago. It was welded too and in the same place, driver's side lower hinge. I reserve a particularly toasty corner of a hot place for that guy!

I contacted the Phoenix guy. I am asking him send me pictures so I can see what I'm buying. If/when I buy I'll let you know about my door...but it's not "skinless"...interested in it anyway? If not, I understand. I'll use it for MIG welding practice!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #79
FFredo

Either way works for me. My brother lives in WHittier so if you need cash right away for a px door let me know.

Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #80
Dan in Pasadena

Ok. As soon as I get photos (assuming the guy comes through and doesn't flake) I'll...well, let's see. PM me your email and I can forward the photos to you. Then you can decide what you want.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #81
Dan in Pasadena

Fredo, I got the photos from the guy and I don't think they're all that much better than mine are. They'd have to be very up close shots to see if they have any pin holes and the pix are not that close. My relative in Phoenix isn't a car guy so I can't rely on his judgement. I'm gonna pass but you MAY still have interest.

Again, if you PM me your email I can forward the pix.

Called Airgas this am for purchase price on a cylinder w/MIG gas - $199. DOH! But I suppose once I've got it I can start repairing my doors...and a bunch of small holes, etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #82
Russell Ashley

You guys are making me feel better. I thought I had the only truck where some PO had welded the hinge to the door. This must be more common than I thought.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #83
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
You guys are making me feel better. I thought I had the only truck where some PO had welded the hinge to the door. This must be more common than I thought.
We ARE kidding, you DO have the only one!

But seriously, I wonder what the reason was that a lot of guys did that? I assume people hung their weight on the door over & over and caused more wear on the driver's side, but I'd have guessed the top hinge would be more an issue than the bottom.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #84
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Fredo, I got the photos from the guy and I don't think they're all that much better than mine are. They'd have to be very up close shots to see if they have any pin holes and the pix are not that close. My relative in Phoenix isn't a car guy so I can't rely on his judgement. I'm gonna pass but you MAY still have interest.

Again, if you PM me your email I can forward the pix.

Called Airgas this am for purchase price on a cylinder w/MIG gas - $199. DOH! But I suppose once I've got it I can start repairing my doors...and a bunch of small holes, etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan
The initial price of the tank can be pretty expensive.
I get mine refilled for around $30.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #85
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim. Yeah, I asked the guy how much of the $199 was tank and how much was gas? He said $150 for the tank and $36 for the gas. I found a 56" tall tank full of MIG gas (supposedly - how do I tell?) for $160 on Craigslist. The guys SAYS it passes hydrotest so that sounds like a damn good deal but I admit I know nothing about this stuff. Do I even WANT a 56" cylinder of MIG gas? Stupid question coming: does it lose effectiveness? Any reason I shouldn't want to have that much...I'm not going to be doing THAT much welding.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-09-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #86
FFredo

Dan, the gas in the bottle on CL should be fine. If the bottle is still in hydro you can tell by the dates stamped into the metal near the neck. I believe hydro is required every 10 years. Either way that last time i took a bottle in for refill it was out of hydro. They charged me and extra 12 bucks to take it in. They just rotate bottles so you'll get one that is good to go.
Yes you can always use more gas so if you can find a big bottle for that price it sounds like a pretty fair deal.

I just got back from buying a new MIG welder, I'm officaly broke now. Thanks for the heads up on the doors. I guess I'll join you and Pass too.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #87
Russell Ashley

"We ARE kidding, you DO have the only one!"

Just had to tell me that, didn't you, LOL.

I suspect that the reason many of these trucks have broken hinge mounts is because some PO tried to adjust the door by closing it on a block of wood.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #88
sandnuriz

Well Danny nice start good luck and have fun!

It's your ride build it the way you want !!!!!!!!!!
sandnuriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #89
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, well I finally took at least one more picture to close out a previous in process shot; this one:

Before:

During:

After:

Not perfect by any means but a lot better than the Before shot and cheaply, DIY done.

Oh, and a gratuitous shot of the um, er "speed equipment" I added today

More to come...eventually. We bought a new-to-us boat, 22 ft. Centurion Elite Bowrider in great low hour condition from a fireman - we know how they usually keep their toys, huh? So I am distracted for the moment but I will post more soon. Just thought I'd do a minor update to the thread.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-15-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #90
Kim57

The wheel turned out real nice.
I like the old wheels in these trucks.
kIm
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #91
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim,
I also have a "necker" knob or suicide knob for it but it turned out not to fit. I thought it would have been a nice retro touch. Not sure if I'd have left it on but I wanted to try it. Turns out it's for a wheel with a fatter rim - damn.

Oh and yes, the rest of my cab still looks like crap, ha ha. It's a low priority right now as I continue on the exterior sanding and priming. Still many things to get done just to say it's truly reliable but I'm working on it.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-15-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #92
FFredo

Dan, nice work on that steering wheel! Ignore the boat and get back at that truck HA!
I'll be at the L.A. Roadster Show at Pomona on Sat.
http://www.laroadsters.com/shownews.html
I might be able to find a few bits I need for my 59 there.....like a decent hood hinge.
Will you be there?

Last edited by FFredo; 06-15-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #93
Dan in Pasadena

Fredo,
Honestly, I didn't know the Roadster Show was going on Saturday. My kids told me there was a show going on Sunday for Father's Day and after checking out your link (thanks) its the same show. So, yes I'll be there but only on Sunday.

Actually, the boat is nearly pristine. Just have to sand the teak swim step & oil it. I already crawled all over it inspecting, cleaning, waxing, etc.

I DO have to dig/form/pour a slab adjacent to my driveway to improve access. I have a small work shop behind my garage and we'll need to widen the opening so we can pull the boat all the way in. All good stuff I like doing, but all stuff that keeps me from working on the truck in the short run. What's going on with your truck? Can you post some pic's?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-15-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #94
FFredo

Dan rust repair is the word of the day...week...month?
I do have a few pics I'll post up tonight after work.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #95
Dan in Pasadena

Man, people are sooo...I don't know....odd? I've got a line on what seems to be a very nice used grille for my truck for $150 - excellent price. Seller is out of area and wants to add shipping charges; also fine. He quotes me shipping plus insurance (fine) but wants to charge me $3 for gas to go to the P.O. twice (WTF?!)

Is it me or does that just seem cheapazz? He coulda just included that in the overall price; how would I have known? But he breaks it out like that and it makes me wonder how this guy will be to deal with? If I send money (money order or cashier's check) into the "great void", how do I know he won't just pocket it and screw me? I know better than to offer Paypal as he'll want me to cover his fee's!

Also, Maybe its just me (probably) but if a person lists a price and says "firm" I buy or I don't, I don't negotiate. If they say "obo" I make an offer - don't then get upset because I offered, just say "no" if its less than you're willing to take...you COULD HAVE said "firm". Geez. Just voicing my frustration. Don't know if I'm gonna do this deal with this guy or not.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #96
Dan in Pasadena

Minor update: Vacation on a houseboat has kept me off the truck but hoping to get a little done this long weekend. Picking up a used Lokar TH350 10" shifter today. I wanted the longer 16" or 23" but for only $75 vs $200+ for new I'll not complain. It's missing the push button knob but I figure a replacement ought be cheap enough. Pic's coming later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #97
samdjr74

It's really looking great Dan, good luck with it.

Any updates to the motor? I know you said the chrome was shot, just wondering if you dived back in there with some new bling

Thanks,
Sam
samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #98
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Sam,
I bought some "Motor Coater" from KBS coatings in Chevy orange (I'm now kinda wondering if I shoulda gone with black?). I also bought some new, but old school looking finned aluminum valve covers but haven't made up my mind on what air cleaner I want? I'll likely end up with the matching finned-down-the-middle air cleaner. Installtion is all to come as I want to thoroughly clean and paint it belfore adding the bling. Looks like azz right now! lol.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #99
bajabob

nice project.... what did you use on the steering wheel ??
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #100
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Bob,
Funny, I started off using Rustoleum Pro both pri
er and gloss black but it sprayed too much volume and wasn't coming out nice. I switched to sme cheap-azz OSH house brand gloss black I happened to have and it went on waay better. It's a cheap job no question. If I'd done it with automotive paint I'm thinking a touch up gun with small tip would be necessary, but I'm no painter by any means.
Posted via Mobile Device