The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #26
_Ogre

Re: Just another old truck.

very nice. diy, low buck and well done

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #27
Clarance J

Ok, its fess up time. Here are a few shots of what happens to your truck when you (meaning me) don't take care of it. Clarance J had a bunch of miles and years of good use on him. He's had three different motors and transmissions in him but was never out of service for very long. Always needed a truck to do the hauling and at one time we driving to and from work 60 miles each way. He's hauled everything from trash to wood to goats when we took them to show at the fairs. He always got us there and back safely. Time eventuality took its toll on him, situations changed and in Sept 1994 his motor gave up. Nothing serious (the rings on three pistons froze up, he was smoking bad) so I had to park him. Not having the money at the time to fix him there he sat. I'd drive by him and say I'll get back to you. So that time has finally gotten here and I'm slowly putting him back together. What else can you do after 43 years? So on with the pictures and the rebuild of Clarance J. Whiskeybottle. Don't let your truck down.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarance J View Post
Ok, its fess up time. Here are a few shots of what happens to your truck when you (meaning me) don't take care of it. Clarance J had a bunch of miles and years of good use on him. He's had three different motors and transmissions in him but was never out of service for very long. Always needed a truck to do the hauling and at one time we driving to and from work 60 miles each way. He's hauled everything from trash to wood to goats when we took them to show at the fairs. He always got us there and back safely. Time eventuality took its toll on him, situations changed and in Sept 1994 his motor gave up. Nothing serious (the rings on three pistons froze up, he was smoking bad) so I had to park him. Not having the money at the time to fix him there he sat. I'd drive by him and say I'll get back to you. So that time has finally gotten here and I'm slowly putting him back together. What else can you do after 43 years? So on with the pictures and the rebuild of Clarance J. Whiskeybottle. Don't let your truck down.
So is this the condition it's in now?
Kim
Old 03-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Katrina/10

Put it back together!

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Clarance J

Hello Kim57. I'm very happy to say No. I've done quite a lot of work on him. He's up and running now. Not quite ready for the street yet but that only afew days away. HE's GOT his insurance and new tags, new motor, brakes, interior, some new paint, new windshield, new to him 5 speed, shocks, new cut down driveshalf, new Summit racing cross flow radiator, new out of the box Its a snap wiring, done. New Grant wheel, and Equus Gauges, refurbished 69 GTO tilt column on top of a 79 power steering box with new Unisteer joints, new Edelbrock carb, Accel pointless ignition, and Summit Racing pulleys and belts up front, and New electric puller fan. Just have a little more to do on the tilt front end. There are a few more news in the bunch. He's so close I can hardly wait. More pictures of how we got there coming.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #31
Clarance J

I needed to start with the frame. It needed the dirty job of sand blasting so I set up shop away from the house, took the cab off the chassis and blasted away. Primered and painted it. The date code on the pictures tell me this was Aug 05.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #32
Clarance J

Back at the shop it started to go together. Old Cragers I found at a yard sale, all four for 25.00 total. Couldn't pass those up.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #33
Clarance J

Hello again, Earl here aka Clarance J. Earlier in my thread I posted some pictures of a real nasty truck in bad shape. What my intentions were, is to show the bad things that happen after a time of neglect. In 1975 I had done alot of the things to my truck within my limited knowledge that the average builder is doing today and through the years. Clarance got all the usual things.The old hand painted house paint job got sand blasted off and a new coat of yellow put on. He got new brakes, wheels and tires, upholstery, and I put in a 69 GTO tilt column that at the time was only 6 years old. In the very first picture of my thread you can see the column and the bracket I made to put my Am/Fm cassette in under the dash. In the radio cutout I put a clock. So with rebuilt 327 motor and all the other stuff it was time to do what I put him together for. Drive it. So what I have here is not just a my build thread but my Rebuild of my Rebuild thread. In another 30 to 40 years I hope Clarance is still around and some young person will be saying to his friends Hey!!! Look what I just found. It will look really cool if..........................
Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #34
Denee007

I like the way you handled the frame, putting it on its side. At first I thought it was on a rotisserie! And you did get e deal on the Cragars; ) magnificent work; )
Posted via Mobile Device
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #35
Kim57

You're doing some real nice work.
Kim
Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
Clarance J

Thanks again. More pictures. On the spring pack you can see the poly liner between the leafs. The pumpkin has to come out again because of a leaking pinion seal, that will get painted when replaced.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #37
Clarance J

Back to the rebuild. The latches I have to decide on. I need two with cable release that will either go on the sides or on the top on firewall. Here's more on the pivot point and bracing. Just have to figure it out as I go along.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #38
Denee007

I love that tilt! So of you wanted to remove the entire front end( fenders/hood), it could all be taken off as a single unit? Maybe using a engine lift?
Dne'
Posted via Mobile Device
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #39
Clarance J

Mounting the radiator. I think the most fun (you all feel the same way) is the research and developing and then the fabrication. You kind of know what you want and then have to figure out a way to get there. Sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. Back to the drawing board. Some ideas are BIG. Some are simple. But the fun is still there. And I'm having fun putting this old truck back together. Thank you all for the hours of reading and ideas that come across this screen.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #40
Clarance J

Hello Denee. Yeah, the whole front clip will come off with the removal of the two 5/8" pivot bolts. A lift or two people. That's it.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #41
Kim57

Nice job on the tilt front.
Kim
Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #42
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

truck is looking great.
61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #43
dug224

Great thread! Subscribed. Thanks for the help on the door hinges. Dug
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #44
Truck Guy99

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you like yeller
Truck Guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #45
Baldeagle SR

Earl The truck is looking great. I se we have a lot in common. I like Cragar wheels, I also have a commercial sewing machine I bought in my senior year of high school, about 100 years ago mine is a Consew. I also plan on a tilt front end. I am old and to chubby to be laying over a fender.
Are you going to use any innor fender ?
My build is Old Yeller 56 GMC.
Rich
Baldeagle SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #46
SCHRUMGMC

Color reminds me of something thats old I can not PIN-POINT it !!!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #47
Clarance J

First of all thanks Kim57, Chizzler.
Dug224, thanks and glad my post was able to help you. Some times all you need is a little idea. That's why I try to read all the threads. Looking for "that's cool, I can do that.
Truck Guy99 What was your first clue? Yup I like yeller. And Lt aqua. I tried real hard to keep it a secret.
Rich aka Baldeagle SR, thanks for the comment. I almost bought a Consew but that was so many years ago I can't remember why I didn't. I guess I just liked the Phaff better.
The reason is the same for the tilt front end. If I didn't make the front tilt I couldn't reach the back of the motor or do any of the work at all. 30 years ago it wasn't much of a problem. As for the inner fender panels I won't be using them for awhile. But they are in the plans. There has to be some truck or car inners that I should be able to modify to look right.
When I saw your thread name I knew that it was going to be some shade of yeller. Are you going to stay yellow? I guess if you didn't you couldn't call him Old yeller anymore. Some of the names we give our truck. Like Clarance J. Whiskeybottle. Where in the heck did that come from? I guess the where and why is just a too long of a story to tell right now.
I like the 430 Buick motor. What year is it? Looks like its going to be a fun build.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #48
SCHRUMGMC

I am excited to see it finished
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #49
Baldeagle SR

The 430 Buick is 1967 out of a Lasaber. I have the motor painted yellow already. As of now I plan on painting the truck a dark purple with a gray interior.
I need to download some more pictures. I am not to handy with the pc. Keep up the nice work.
Rich
Baldeagle SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #50
Clarance J

Hello All, Well I finally got to drive Clarance J on the street 5/11/13. The last time he was on the road was Sept. 1994, so its been awhile. I didn't go far but I did go. He rattled a little bit because his fenders where loose but I just had to take it out. Ran good to the park and back. Made some new brackets for the tilt front and more bolts in the rear fenders to stop the rattles and a couple days later out we went again. A little further this time, around several blocks. Every thing worked like it was supposed too. Here's the but. The one problem I didn't like was the steering. I put power steering in with one of the kits that puts the box in front of the axle on the outside of the frame. No problem there. There were two problems that I had to solve. 1) The pitman arm that I bought that was supposed to be the one to use turned out to be too short. No matter how I played with the adjustments, on centering the box and drag link in and out I couldn't get full lock to lock. That was with the 4" pitman arm. The dimension it needed to be was 4.75". I had a real problem with cutting the old pitman arm (mentally) and welding it back together for that extra 3/4". I finally came up with a solution that I felt comfortable with and be safe with. The steering went lock to lock and everything was good to go. 2) The second problem popped up after I solved the first one. When I took it on the street the steering was too steery or sensitive. (How do you like that for a word?) So all that brings me to this part of the build. The steering stabilizer install.
Attached Images