The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #51
Matt_50

Re: '50 chevy 3100

I ran across something I'm a little iffy about. I'm sure I can probably make it work if it is incorrect but I'd like to avoid as much sheet metal alignment problems as possible. When I got the truck the front was partially disassembled and the guy had to hunt some pieces down. One was the radiator support. I did a test fit today of inner fenders because I need to drill new bolt holes in the sheet metal I used to repair a corner.

The radiator support has holes in all the right spots to mount to the inner fenders. It's where it mounts crossmember that looks different than catalog pics. Does this look correct?
Attached Images

Matt_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #52
Matt_50

I got a couple of things accomplished yesterday. First I got a correct style bed. When I bought this 1950, it had a 1954 bed with it. Previous owner wanted flat top rails and had traded his bed. I made a trade and got a slanted rail bed. Very happy. Second I got a front end for only 50 bucks. It's an earlier one but the crossmember is the same. This allows me to do the suspension in a nice timely manner. And means I'll have some wheels on the c10 when I'm ready to have it hauled off.

I'm not sure if it's swappable but the lower control arms u bolts are a different size. I can either swap stuff from one crossmember to the other. Or just swap the whole thing. I can treat this like a motor mount replacement. I can raise the engine and disconnect the mounts and pull the front end out and put the other in and then rest the engine back down. Any thoughts? I'm thinking maybe a support bar across the top so I have rpm to pull out the front end..
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #53
gigamanx

Not sure if this helps, but you can see the two bolt holes where I had sprayed PB Blaster to get the two bolts out of the bottom of the core support

[IMG]

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #54
Matt_50

Thanks gigamanx does your support sit flush to the crossmember or is there some spacing? I called the guy I got truck from, he said there's another support he had I could look at.

I got the c10 front suspension out and bolted the older one in it's place. Fairly easy, I think easier than swapping stuff from one crossmember to the other, well maybe not.... I think 20 bolts in all, undo power steering lines and brake lines. I raised engine just enough to pull out engine mount bolts and the whole thing came out as one big heavy piece.

Sometime in next few days I'll try to get it installed. Found center mark on frame and center mark on suspension. It'll get me real close and I'll just give taps with hammer with fenders on to get perfect. Though I suppose I will need to be very sure to be same on each side..how much off will mess up my caster?
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #55
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
Thanks gigamanx does your support sit flush to the crossmember or is there some spacing? I called the guy I got truck from, he said there's another support he had I could look at.

I got the c10 front suspension out and bolted the older one in it's place. Fairly easy, I think easier than swapping stuff from one crossmember to the other, well maybe not.... I think 20 bolts in all, undo power steering lines and brake lines. I raised engine just enough to pull out engine mount bolts and the whole thing came out as one big heavy piece.

Sometime in next few days I'll try to get it installed. Found center mark on frame and center mark on suspension. It'll get me real close and I'll just give taps with hammer with fenders on to get perfect. Though I suppose I will need to be very sure to be same on each side..how much off will mess up my caster?
Mine wasn't flush if I understand what you're asking. You can see in your photo there are two mount tabs that line up with the two holes on the crossmember. Can't hurt to go see the other one the guy had though

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #56
Matt_50

Only spent a few minutes on truck today but I did get old front suspension off..next step is install of new one.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #57
Matt_50

Suspension installed! Raised the front a little bit but i won't look at making any lowering adjustments until after the weight of the engine is in. I used 1/2 steel plate on either side to mount. Had a machines friend drill them in his off time.

Next rear suspension and installing my 10 bolt rear. Found offset perches and new bushings through classicparts and rockauto...acdelco part numbers too.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #58
Matt_50

In case anyone is curious or is just beside themselves that I'm using the suspension from a c10. The truck pictured does have it's tires stick out a bit. I personally think it looks ok. Keep in mind this is without the owner really trying to suck in the wheels. He just used same wheels and tires that came from the donor c10. He drove it for a few years before he sold it and said he never had an issue with the tires rubbing.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #59
Matt_50

I got the crack in the frame fixed. It was directly under the cab support, going through one of the rivers. Got it welded up and then welded the support over it too. Looks good.

Goal this week is the rear suspension and axle. Got new shackles and bolts and perches in the mail. Also ordered the lower cowl panel for right front. I'll tack it in and let my buddy weld it up in a week or so.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #60
Matt_50

My goal to have the rear axle done this week might not happen. It's been raining so I got a small inside project done. I got my door hinges all fixed up and painted! I bought the oversized pins from classicparts.

Three were loose, one was still tight as a drum. So it just got cleaned.

I tried to hammer them out. No luck.

I took a torch, small one you know no big shop here, no luck. Tried the wax trick...nope.

I used my drill press and had to drill the old pins out! I did use a hacksaw to separate the pieces first though.

They are all nice and tight now, no play at all! I'll put doors on tomorrow. If I was in a shop I wouldn't yet but all this rain... and my new floor and starting interior stuff... it seems like a good idea..plus I've never done so much cab work before...itll help my paranoia to know cab isn't tweaked.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #61
Matt_50

I had started a thread on what to do about my rear springs. They were messed up to bad for new bushings. Eyes were elogolated real awful. A few days search and I got new (to me) main leafs and the right rear shackle mount. It was messed up too. I guess the guy I got them from used the other leafs for something.

I got it all for free!! I've already got new bushings installed! I'll get new center bolts and use the leafs from my old springs and be good to go.

Goal this week is have my rear suspension done and install my 10 bolt axle.

That'll mean front suspension done, rear done, and cab floor and firewall done(mostly, needs cleaning up before engine gets in the way)

It's coming along!
Old 10-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #62
Matt_50

Well I got just a little behind on my goal. First i decided to order U bolts, local spring place tried to tell me 20 bucks per bolt and autozone wanted 24 bucks for a set of two. Classicparts have some they sell with a open driveshaft conversion kit. 19 bucks plus shipping and I get all 4 U bolts. I didn't order them until today.... lol. I finished up rear springs and cleaned up rear part of frame. Used two wire wheels. Wish I had a sand blaster. Frame is primered and springs are on...loosely...i wanted to check fitment and I was worried I'd lose nuts and bolts and stuff.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #63
gigamanx

Quote:
I finished up rear springs and cleaned up rear part of frame. Used two wire wheels. Wish I had a sand blaster. .
Wait until you get to do the front Wire wheels can really throw that grease haha

Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #64
Matt_50

Lol yea, I did most of the front already... I had to also use a scraper and pressure sprayed it down too.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #65
Matt_50

Well I've been pretty busy lately. My days off have been spent doing other non truck things.... so I'm behind. It always happens right. I got the rear axle in. Finally!! Ok so it still needs the perches welded and the old perches are in the way... gotta come off. But I can roll the truck around again. How have you guys do the tie plates? I am putting the engine and trans in this Sunday. This goal is set in stone! Weather permitting ....
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #66
joedoh

looking good so far!

Quote:
Lol yea, I did most of the front already... I had to also use a scraper and pressure sprayed it down too.
simple green and some paper towels really cleans up that front end grease!

IMG_1810_zpsfocoyxni by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1813_zpsnonhh501 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #67
Matt_50

Engine and trans is in! Tacks welds with some support if it needs to be adjusted. I posted a thread on putting a v8 in an AD so if anyone wants to chime in if i need to make any changes now would be the time. My main concern was getting level with frame and distributor clearance. I can just barely squeeze my hand in there.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #68
Matt_50

Heres better pics in the light.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #69
Matt_50

I reused tge trans crossmember.. still needs some trimming and I'm gonna weld in some pieces.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #70
mongocanfly
Post Whore

don't forget you need about 3deg downward angle on your engine and trans.....it needs to match the rear axle angle which should have about 3deg upward angle
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #71
Matt_50

Hello guys, been a bit busy lately. Just finished finals for my last semester of college! College grad here look out!

And the weather is getting a bit ehh..

Today I lowered the front in by 2 inches. Cut a coil off each spring. Once it fully sets down I'll see what ride is like and if I need to get something softer. Brought it down a lot. Looks a lot better compared to the rear. Took before and after measurements from the frame.

And there before and after pics of wheel and fender.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #72
joedoh

congrats on finishing college! thats a milestone you wont ever regret

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #73
Matt_50

So today I took the rear axle back off. Not to big a deal, it was all still pretty loose, snug but loose since I knew I was gonna roll it back out. Me and friend put the bed on so could double check that I did center it. I did. Jacked it up and rolled it out. Had to remove old perches, and I got a friend at a machine shop making me tie plates. I have measurements and a pic of what I wanted. When I get the metal back I'll put axle back on. I already has the metal and they arnt charging me, so saved a few bucks. The tie plates in the pic have 6 holes. I'm still not sure whether center bolt goes through center or through the 6th hole...
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2017, 01:43 AM   #74
Matt_50

Got plates back.. look good, 1/2 plate and no charge to drill holes. Overkill? Maybe lol but the metal was there so....

Anyway, installed and truck is back on the ground. I can now set pinion angle..advice here would be great, and shorten driveshaft. More advice appreciated on how to measure length required too. I can also mock up my fuel tank. I've got a behind the seat tank and a 70 Chevelle tank I'm curious to see how it would look in the rear.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #75
gigamanx

Quote:
Got plates back.. look good, 1/2 plate and no charge to drill holes. Overkill? Maybe lol but the metal was there so....

Anyway, installed and truck is back on the ground. I can now set pinion angle..advice here would be great, and shorten driveshaft. More advice appreciated on how to measure length required too. I can also mock up my fuel tank. I've got a behind the seat tank and a 70 Chevelle tank I'm curious to see how it would look in the rear.
couple of bits of steel later and bam truck is done