The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
talmadgemoss

1955 2nd Series Build Start

Brand new to the site as a member, but have been looking around for a couple weeks'. I purchased my truck about 6 weeks' ago and finally getting started. New door glass both side, new 350 HO engine, 700R4 trans, new IFS, new ididit steering column and grant steering wheel. Been shopping around for a new rear end and 4 link and think I'm set on TCI for these. Just a before and during pictures.
Attached Images

talmadgemoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Rabid Anti-Dentite

Re: 1955 2nd Series Build Start

Looks like a great start to the project. Any interior mods planned?
Rabid Anti-Dentite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
talmadgemoss

Yes plan on redoing the bench seat, installing the missing components from the dash and installing vintage air. I really like my music so I have been looking into the stock (looking) radios with all the modern features. I plan on relocating the fuel tank behind the rear axle under the bed to allow room for speakers. Also plan on loosing the aftermarket gauges the PO had installed and using the original gauge panel.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Rabid Anti-Dentite

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmadgemoss View Post
Yes plan on redoing the bench seat, installing the missing components from the dash and installing vintage air. I really like my music so I have been looking into the stock (looking) radios with all the modern features. I plan on relocating the fuel tank behind the rear axle under the bed to allow room for speakers. Also plan on loosing the aftermarket gauges the PO had installed and using the original gauge panel.
Nice, sounds like a great project.
Rabid Anti-Dentite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

talmadgemoss - You're starting on what appears to be a very nice truck, congratulations!

My only comment is, Beware the "slippery slope!" All the things you are doing is what I started to do with my '55 and if you take a look at my thread you'll see I slid ALL the way down the slope. It's easy to do if you love these trucks. You make an improvement and then "while I'm in there" kicks in and you do another thing because the one thing you did makes something else not look so good.

I'm not exactly complaining because now my truck is nearing "truck of my dreams" status but my bank account is nearing "bank balance of my nightmares" status" Lol

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-28-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
talmadgemoss

Thanks Dan...I think your too late I have been doing nothing but what you mentioned...well sense I will have the bed off let me do this too. I'm going to attempt to do the build it two phases, but that keeps getting harder and harder to do. I had a couple packages come in today too. I will get some better pictures and post them this weekend when I get started again.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
Russell Ashley

I like your plan. Your truck looks very nice already, so if the paint isn't covering up some sloppy body work and/or rust you are already ahead of the game.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
talmadgemoss

Thanks Russell...After we get the IFS installed (hopefully this weekend) we plan on removing the bed and will be able to see more, but so far no major body issues. I would like to let the ole checking account have a break after the drive line before I start getting into paint and body work.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #9
Purcell69

Congratulations on your new project. Dan is right, it is a slippery slope. My project started 25 years ago and has been driven less than 500 miles. I started out wanting a '57 that looked like a '57 but with modern running gear. I found I didn't like the handling and went to a Camaro front clip. That lead to my truck looking like a low rider and not a truck, so I'm going for the appearance of a Napco. I've pretty much gone full circle, LOL.

Build it like you want, have fun and enjoy.

-Joe
Old 07-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmadgemoss View Post
Thanks Dan...I think your too late I have been doing nothing but what you mentioned...well sense I will have the bed off let me do this too. I'm going to attempt to do the build it two phases, but that keeps getting harder and harder to do...
Yup, sounds like you're "sliding" down the slope.

I had mine looking pretty much how I liked it. A shop truck look. It got some compliments and I didn't worry about getting a ding or dent in it. The problem was I didn't enjoy the ride much. The 283 had a weak cylinder and I knew it but I had it tuned up as well as it could run.

My initial thought was a dropped axle and Posie's Super Slider leaf springs. I'd already bought a disc brake conversion new-in-the-box from someone's aborted project. Then I found that going that approach would ALMOST cost the same as IFS.

So I bought another new-in-box deal on a Fatman's IFS kit, didn't use it. And so it went until it got to where it is now. I'm going to LOVE it, but I won't be comfortable driving it just anywhere and leaving it. Oh well!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #11
talmadgemoss

Yes Sir...Didn't get much done this weekend but remove all the steering and prepped the frame for welding and removed the fuel tank from behind the seat. Also got my fuel cell ordered with a sending unit (thanks for the link to the fuel nozzle too Dan) and a new a gauge cluster (All of which was supposed to be part of the second phase). Oh well my wife hasn't killed me yet.

https://www.classicparts.com/images/24-730B.jpg
Old 08-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
talmadgemoss

Well got the frame boxed in, installed steering column and removed the gauge cluster.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
talmadgemoss

Re: 1955 2nd Series Build

Some pictures of the progress on my truck.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
mikebte

looking good, thats gonna be a bit lower in the front aye.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
talmadgemoss

1955 2nd Series Build

Oh yes it's looking like about 6'' in the front but we need to get the motor and transmission in and adjust it and see.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #16
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
talmadgemoss - You're starting on what appears to be a very nice truck, congratulations!

My only comment is, Beware the "slippery slope!" All the things you are doing is what I started to do with my '55 and if you take a look at my thread you'll see I slid ALL the way down the slope. It's easy to do if you love these trucks. You make an improvement and then "while I'm in there" kicks in and you do another thing because the one thing you did makes something else not look so good.

I'm not exactly complaining because now my truck is nearing "truck of my dreams" status but my bank account is nearing "bank balance of my nightmares" status" Lol
Very good advise, easy to go past your set goal. I bet before the end you have the seat out doing stuff you never wanted. Lol, all fun and bank breaking.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #17
talmadgemoss

Well I finished the wood for the bed yesterday afternoon. Did it with a semi gloss. Now to get it in the bed and see if I like it. The new rails, angles and hardware should be in today from LMC.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #18
Purcell69

Very nice! I'd put the lumber back in mine if I had a place to park it out of the weather. Since parking is an issue for me, I am going to use plate steel for the floor, covered with bed liner and then install the strips.

-Joe
Old 08-10-2018, 03:31 AM   #19
Scottish58chev

Nice truck to start with, looking forward to seeing where you go with it.
Scottish58chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #20
talmadgemoss

Thanks for the complements! Looks like this will be a long process but steady working on it.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #21
talmadgemoss

Took a few more pictures...Should have the Engine and Trans in today and at least fit up the mounts and trans member,
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2018, 08:31 AM   #22
talmadgemoss

Made the decision on the rear suspension I went with the TCI 4 link set up with ride tech shocks and also got the Currie 9'' rear end from them also. I went with 11'' drum brake because I already had the brake booster. Running the 700R4 transmission decided to run a 3.5 gear. Now waiting on delivery should be about 8 working days was their estimated shipping time frame. Looking at wheel and tire combo now with the new bolt pattern (5x4.75) will open up my choices. Been looking at the Ridler 695's in 17'' with some Cooper tires.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #23
joedoh

looks amazing! I wish I could start with a running driving gorgeous truck, you are going to be super happy

two things:

pull the distributor before jockeying the motor around on the hoist. that chain will pull tight and break it. I have done it twice, first by accident and the second because I didnt learn. mark the rotor position and dont turn the crank at all. put some tape over the hole till you put it back in.

and this shroud:

will block most of the airflow through your radiator. that fan already has a shroud/duct, that extra piece is not needed except as a mount for the fan, so carve it open or mount the fan directly to the rad without it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #24
talmadgemoss

Thanks for the pointer joedoh I will pull it we plan to put it in this week and thought we could get by just removing the cap.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #25
slammed57

good start there, looking good, for a 4-link check out welderseries.com for 4 links and all sorts of things you may need