The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
46stude

Q- speedo off & bad MPG

We have an '02 Suburban 1500, 2wd, 5.3L. It's got somewhere around 230K+ on it, & we've had it since 198K. It's stock, with 265/75/16s, which are just a touch taller than the factory 70s.

It's always got poor fuel mileage, & I discovered a long time ago that the speedometer doesn't read correctly. According to a couple GPS speedo apps I've tried on my phone, it's off by about 6-7 MPH at highway speeds, less as speed decreases. Rough guess of MPG (since the odometer isn't accurate) is the thing averages 10-12. Oh, & no SES lights.

I've tried lots of searches on the web, but everything goes to the dreaded cluster failures. That's not my problem, as far as I can tell.

The only thing I can figure is maybe the PCM needs a factory reflash. No idea how or why it would be outta whack, but there's nothing else I can think of that'd kick the speedo out like that. Any other ideas, or similar problems somebody knows a fix for?
46stude is offline   Reply With Quote