The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #501
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: "Elwood" the 77_remix

This position lead us to the obvious choice for an exit point for the supply lines. We opted to use the RestoMod Air "Slimline" bulkhead. They offer a huge selection of styles, shapes, and colors of the bulkheads. We wanted the least amount of surface exposed so this was an obvious choice.

Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-17-2018 at 10:12 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #502
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The location of the bulkhead was dictated by position of the Haymaker and our desire to utilize one of the existing holes. Beyond a clean install, our objective is to maintain structural integrity.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 04-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #503
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With the Haymaker location determined, holes drilled, and interior lines routed, we moved on to the control panel. Restomad Air makes a direct fit control panel that makes this segment of the install simple. It takes more effort to remove the factory controls and cables than to bolt this unit in place. Once installed it looks right at home in our original dash.

Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-18-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #504
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Now that we had the system mocked up we pulled everything back out. I needed to create a pattern for the filler panel that Mike Losh would make. It will have raised panels to clear the obstructions on the firewall, and a recessed area for the bulkhead.

I put the temporary panel back in place once again to ensure the holes all lined up. It came off after some adjustments and a template was laid out. The shape was cut and holes were marked and opened up.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-23-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #505
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looking good Ken!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #506
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looking good Ken!
thanks Michael

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 04-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #507
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Now off to Mike for him to work his magic. Progress looks good Ken!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #508
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Now off to Mike for him to work his magic. Progress looks good Ken!
Mike has been patiently waiting for me to get this done. I cant wait to see the finished product.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 04-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #509
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

One step closer to production. Here's the lay out for the production piece from Slosh Tubz The area around the bulk head hole will be recessed. The two shapes to either side will be raised.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 04-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #510
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike Losh sent a sneak peak of his first production panel. He is shipping it out for me to test fit to determine if any final adjustments need to be made. Hopefully the last few pieces from RestoMod Air needed to finish the dash install will be here today.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-26-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #511
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

We designed this panel to be as simple as possible to install. It can be bolted in as I have done. We designed the outer flange to fit flush so you could use panel bond as well. If you choose to, welding is another option.

Initially I had hoped to keep the factory pinch weld seam. Unfortunately it would really be obtrusive and defeat the look we were after. After cutting it off and grinding it flush I felt comfortable it did not compromise the structural integrity.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-26-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #512
Rickysnickers

Nice! Dumb question time, will that panel fit a stock truck with standard wheel tubs?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 PM   #513
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Nice! Dumb question time, will that panel fit a stock truck with standard wheel tubs?
Not a dumb question at all.
Actually its a very good question. Yes, it will work with stock tubs.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 04-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #514
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

While waiting on parts from Restomod Air We worked on the audio system update. I teamed up with Retro Manufacturing to install some of their audio equipment in Elwood. I really like the Retro sound Long Beach receiver. It has a great classic look with contemporary features and can be customized to fit your application.
Its features direct link to Apple or Android devises via built-in Bluetooth connectivity
The authentic push-button styling offers AM/FM RDS tuner with 30 pre-sets. There are two rear-mounted USB ports for USB cable or flash drive, and two auxiliary inputs for portable devices.

It offers 25 watts x 4 channel built in power, and dual RCA pre-outs plus subwoofer output for external amplifiers. The patented InfiniMount adjustable shaft system can almost any dash with no modifications, and it can be mounted remotely for custom installation using optional extension cable.

I opted for the chrome face with black buttons to match my dash and the Restomod Air control panel mounted above it.

The face can be customized to look right at home in any classic install with five unique styles:Chrome with chrome push-buttons, chrome with black push-buttons, chrome with ivory push-buttons, black with black push-buttons, black with chrome push-buttons. They offer optional "screen protectors" for the display face to give it a true vintage look when the power is off.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 04-30-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #515
Sik66

Niceeeee!
Sik66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #516
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

After Chris got the Long Beach reciever installed, he added the dash speaker to test it out. Since the 73-80 dash only has a center speaker opening we opted for the RetroSound 4x10 Triax
This is a dual voice coil speaker that gives you full stereo separation from your single dash speaker location. It actually has left and right channel inputs.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #517
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

ken,
nice looking radio. I am more familiar with the retro audio models are they the same? anyways kinda along the same lines.... I was wondering if the 73-87 models had a "radio delete" option like the earlier 67-72 models? I am thinking that I might do the same as I did in my '72 where I used a radio delete plate & put the "hi-end" radio & gear under the seat & still be able to use the radio remote
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #518
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
ken,
nice looking radio. I am more familiar with the retro audio models are they the same? anyways kinda along the same lines.... I was wondering if the 73-87 models had a "radio delete" option like the earlier 67-72 models? I am thinking that I might do the same as I did in my '72 where I used a radio delete plate & put the "hi-end" radio & gear under the seat & still be able to use the radio remote
What I'm using is Retro Sound by Retro manufacturing. My research tells me its ranked the highest available for classic car audio. I'm not sure why you would want to hide it under the seat, when it will fit correctly in your stock dash with NO modifications.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #519
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

As always we are thrashing and crashing to get things put back together. The drivers side of the engine compartment is back together now. That gave me an opportunity to mock up the Eddie Motorsports hood hinges. The stock hinges were worn out, and it was time for an update. I wanted a cleaner look than a new pair of stock hinges would offer so I contacted Eddie Motorsports. They offer billet hinges for 73-80 GM trucks that are a work of art.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 05-03-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #520
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

They offer a variety of finishes to fit your needs. I opted for the gloss black version to match the black panels under the hood. Stainless steel button heads are included. I gave them a quick polish to match the existing hardware under my hood.

Once installed they blend in nicely. They are nice to look at, but I wanted them to go with the flow and the gloss black does that very well.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #521
aggie91

Those do look nice. Hope you get it all done for this weekend. I'm headed to Salt Lake City to watch my daughter's last Gym competition for this season this weekend. Hope ya'll have a good time!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)

The LST Challenge:

Old 05-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #522
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
What I'm using is Retro Sound by Retro manufacturing. My research tells me its ranked the highest available for classic car audio. I'm not sure why you would want to hide it under the seat, when it will fit correctly in your stock dash with NO modifications.
ken, sorry for the confusion. I used the delete plate to go along with my theme of the truck "looking very plain" in features, but having all the aminities like AC, cup holders & Radio. that was for my '72.
In the square body I am going for the opposite... I would like to add a push button ignition (keyless start?) the DBW gas pedal &
incorporate the cruise system too (if I am smart enough to figure all of it out! I hate to say it but I might cut the dash to add a din size new radio...
please don't yell at me! although the USA & Retro sound radios have all the features as well, As far as the radio goes, I would just like to have
the wireless bluetooth option so as to be able to do calls like I do in my tahoe and maxima...

Thanks for letting me chime in & being able to partake of your knowledge & talents!!

Jake
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #523
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Those do look nice. Hope you get it all done for this weekend. I'm headed to Salt Lake City to watch my daughter's last Gym competition for this season this weekend. Hope ya'll have a good time!
As always its a thrash to the finish. We decided to leave Thursday night to avoid Friday morning traffic in Ft Worth. i had hoped to finish up around 10:00 and be on the road. We bolted the hood on, and it was so much easier to do with the new hinges. They lined up easily and we had the hood adjusted in a few minutes.
After adding the Wilwood master cylinder, I determined I had almost no pedal function. I could stop, but the pedal was to the floor. Unfortunately I had no time to play with the brakes. I figure stopping is over rated.

We loaded Elwood up on the trailer, and went to strap it down. Thats when I discovered a cooloant leak. It was coming from the radiator hose where it meets the water pump. I assumed it was a bit loose and tried tightening it. That made the leak worse. i realized it the hose section was not on far enough so I loosened the clamps to push it on further.

Yes, I knew it was a bad idea to be directly under the hose looking up at it, but it was the only way to access it while on the trailer. I attempted to push the hose further on. This forced the hose off, and a massive stream of hot water and coolant gushed down. It went in my eyes, ears, nose, and a large quantity was swallowed.

After cursing profusely, I hosed myself off. I looked at the truck, shruggged my shoulders and decided "It ain't fixing itself" and crawled back under. An hour later I was all cleaned up and headed for the C10 Nationals.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #524
aggie91

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
As always its a thrash to the finish. We decided to leave Thursday night to avoid Friday morning traffic in Ft Worth. i had hoped to finish up around 10:00 and be on the road. We bolted the hood on, and it was so much easier to do with the new hinges. They lined up easily and we had the hood adjusted in a few minutes.
After adding the Wilwood master cylinder, I determined I had almost no pedal function. I could stop, but the pedal was to the floor. Unfortunately I had no time to play with the brakes. I figure stopping is over rated.

We loaded Elwood up on the trailer, and went to strap it down. Thats when I discovered a cooloant leak. It was coming from the radiator hose where it meets the water pump. I assumed it was a bit loose and tried tightening it. That made the leak worse. i realized it the hose section was not on far enough so I loosened the clamps to push it on further.

Yes, I knew it was a bad idea to be directly under the hose looking up at it, but it was the only way to access it while on the trailer. I attempted to push the hose further on. This forced the hose off, and a massive stream of hot water and coolant gushed down. It went in my eyes, ears, nose, and a large quantity was swallowed.

After cursing profusely, I hosed myself off. I looked at the truck, shruggged my shoulders and decided "It ain't fixing itself" and crawled back under. An hour later I was all cleaned up and headed for the C10 Nationals.
I have to admit Ken, but that made me chuckle a bit. I think we have all done something that we just have suck it up and move forward. I saw the video on FB. Elwood is looking good!

The LST Challenge:

Old 05-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #525
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I have some catching up to do in my yard, but I should be back on this project soon. I am working with Eddie Motorsports to continue updating the motor. I'm going to install and document a S Drive serpentine system. This will tie in with the RestoMod Air A/C system.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"