The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
Dachshund

1947 3600 Frame Help

I am working on a "complete" resto on a truck that belonged to my wife's uncle (he died in 1994). I have it down to about every bolt I can remove. I ran into a snag on a couple of frame items....

(1) I need to find a replacement cross member due to mine being rusted out. This is the one that goes between the two front mounts of the rear leaf springs. I can build something, but figured I'd see if I can find a useable stock part.

(2) I need the driver's side, front leaf spring, rear mount - mine is bent and cracked.

(3) I have one front leaf spring that the loop is broken off. I'd like to find some good, used springs.
Any help would be appreciated!
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
b-mac

Re: 1947 3600 Frame Help

paulspickupparts

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=103200

I've bought several parts from Paul.

I'd try a private message.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
mr48chev

There should be an abundance of those pieces around with guys pulling 3/4 ton cabs off the stock frames for frame swaps. Maybe someone has one close enough for you to snag at a very reasonable price.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
There should be an abundance of those pieces around with guys pulling 3/4 ton cabs off the stock frames for frame swaps. Maybe someone has one close enough for you to snag at a very reasonable price.
I have been asking around for a MONTH! Nobody seems to have parts in this area.....
Old 11-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
whitedog76

I can help.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
I can help.
I still need the cross member, and I now need a REAR leaf top spring (the one with the loops), as mine is cracked. I THINK I have a front spring/mount on the way, but not sure....
Old 11-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
whitedog76

I just pulled the frontend off of my 54. New bushings, shackles, u bolts.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
paulspickupparts

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=103200

I've bought several parts from Paul.

I'd try a private message.
ZERO help. Said he had several, but he doesn't like to sell leaf springs because it is too much of a hassle to find a good one.....
Old 12-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
dsraven

I know you prolly don't wanna hear this but I have changed many leaf springs over the years and have come to this work procedure.
before installing any used leaf spring or spring pack stand the pack upside down on the ground, a concrete floor works the best so the spring can slip easily. lay a short piece of wood over the spring center bolt then take the biggest hammer you have, preferably a sledge, and give the pack a couple of good hits. take a look now to see if any of the leafs have cracked. if so, junk the whole pack and start over with another set.
this is also the same reason i will not install re-arced springs. you spend the time and money for re-arcing and hardware etc only to find there is a broken leaf a short time later.
just my experience, you do what you want. just test the "new" and the other old springs first before you waste the time. also, a broken leaf has caused many tire issues for customers over the years as well. the broken leaf comes out sideways from the pack and rubs the sidewall of the tire. now you are in for a new leaf set plus a new tire plus any body damage caused if you didn't catch the problem until the tire blew out.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I know you prolly don't wanna hear this but I have changed many leaf springs over the years and have come to this work procedure.
before installing any used leaf spring or spring pack stand the pack upside down on the ground, a concrete floor works the best so the spring can slip easily. lay a short piece of wood over the spring center bolt then take the biggest hammer you have, preferably a sledge, and give the pack a couple of good hits. take a look now to see if any of the leafs have cracked. if so, junk the whole pack and start over with another set.
this is also the same reason i will not install re-arced springs. you spend the time and money for re-arcing and hardware etc only to find there is a broken leaf a short time later.
just my experience, you do what you want. just test the "new" and the other old springs first before you waste the time. also, a broken leaf has caused many tire issues for customers over the years as well. the broken leaf comes out sideways from the pack and rubs the sidewall of the tire. now you are in for a new leaf set plus a new tire plus any body damage caused if you didn't catch the problem until the tire blew out.
Well - I need this rear spring to get the stack onto the frame so I can move it out of the way. The plan is to replace both sides down the road with new. For now, I need it to make room in the shop for the cab. I'm not looking for a 100% NEW leaf, just one to get me by for now. It's gonna be at least a year before I'm on the road.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
ZERO help. Said he had several, but he doesn't like to sell leaf springs because it is too much of a hassle to find a good one.....
After taking out several in the past year my relult was always the same result. They were either worn so bad or cracked I did not consider them safe to sell. They tend to rub the mount bracket which causes a lot of wear and usually were not serviced buy the previous owner in which case most of them are in poor condition. It is not because I did not want to help , I just knew that I could not.

Good luck , maybe someone will chime in that did a fron clip to independent front.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #12
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
After taking out several in the past year my relult was always the same result. They were either worn so bad or cracked I did not consider them safe to sell. They tend to rub the mount bracket which causes a lot of wear and usually were not serviced buy the previous owner in which case most of them are in poor condition. It is not because I did not want to help , I just knew that I could not.

Good luck , maybe someone will chime in that did a fron clip to independent front.
Paul - Our phone conversation lasted less than a minute - you never let me fully explain what I was after. So I gave up. This left me with the impression that you were too busy to help.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #13
rustycars63

I have a set of springs off a 1949 chevy 1/2 ton truck has attach fitting with them. call if you think this will work for you. John 8173684941 Sulphur Oklahoma.
rustycars63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #14
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
Paul - Our phone conversation lasted less than a minute - you never let me fully explain what I was after. So I gave up. This left me with the impression that you were too busy to help.
Galen

After I received your pm we were able to make contact by phone. I mainly wanted to reach out because another poster had given my name as a referral.

In our phone conservation I explained that I have a lot of these trucks and had another request from another bolter in the past year . I explained that at that time I had take out many different springs. All were bad . You explained that the springs have brass bushings and you could replace the brass bushing. At that time I stated that on the springs I removed the brass bushing not only gone from wear but the eyelet in the spring itself was egg shaped and heavily worn. They were beyond use. That is on the springs that the ends are not broke off or cracked. So I suggested having a spring company building the upper leaf with and eyelets and use your other pack. For some reason you were not very interested in an aftermarket spring and frustrated that I could not help. I also explained that New Old Stock NOS rear hangers sometimes appear on ebay (rarely) but do appear. You did not seem receptive to that idea either. I was just trying to help you find a solution to your problem .

I NEVER stated it was too much of a "HASSLE" . I did state that I would not have much success in finding a good one. And if I did, and gave you the spring for free, and only charged you labor, the price would be more than you buy a new one.

I guess if this is ZERO help (sorry for the shouting) then I am a zero.

OH , as far as

"Paul - Our phone conversation lasted less than a minute - you never let me fully explain what I was after. So I gave up. This left me with the impression that you were too busy to help. "
I explained all of the above . If I was able to do that in less than a minute I must have talked very fast .

SO.............. I looked at my phone . ON November 8 you called at 7:53 A.M. and at 9:01 A. M . I missed your calls . I returned your call at 10:43 A.M. . Our phone conversation lasted 3 minutes and 42 seconds. Sigh..................................

There are two spring companies that make new springs near you . St Louis Spring and another if not two in Kansas City.

Last edited by paulspickupparts; 12-19-2018 at 01:52 PM.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #15
Dachshund

Paul - I NEVER said it seemed like a "hassle" to deal with you, but you did say it was hard to find used ones. If you read the post, I said it was a hassle to find good used ones. I said it seemed like you were busy. Weather the phone call lasted 1 minute or 3 doesn't matter. My point was you - by your own admission - had made up your mind that you couldn't help me before we even talked on the phone. You didn't even let me explain what I wanted, and why (there were other parts I needed, too), you were focused on the one item. Yes, you mentioned ebay, as I told you on the phone, I had checked there.
Therefore I got zero help from you. Sorry you took it so personal!
I figured it was time to move on to someone else.
You can have the last word, I am done responding to you.