The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #101
75Dually

Re: 75 Dually build

Tonight I finished up the blower motor modification. I laid aluminum adhesive foil on the inside of the structure. This gave me a firm inner structure as well as some additional heat reflective properties. Then I laid a couple of layers of fiberglass. Yes I got out all the air bubbles after these pics were taken...

I will sand it smooth tomorrow and shoot some paint on it.

Now it's on to some other jobs...
Attached Images

75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #102
75Dually

eLevel! Today I have been working on mounting the sensors for my Accuair eLevel system on the front suspension. I have mounted them on the backside of the cross member, and then I drilled and tapped the lower a-arm for the lower mount. I have the passenger side completed, and now I will now copy it on the other side to finish the job.

Not an easy job. Tons of measuring, and quadruple checking everything. Even had to pull the lasers out to make sure I was keeping everything straight, but in the end it moves through the arc very smoothly which makes the whole system function correctly.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2014, 12:42 AM   #103
75Dually

I got the drivers side eLevel sensors completed over the weekend. This side took 1/4 of the time, thank goodness something went actually easy for once... Not that this ride has fought me, but more that everything on a 1 ton truck has to be over built (in my opinion). And that takes time...

I got the cross member painted and the holes drilled out for the air lines to exit the cross member as well. I also got the blower box on the firewall painted up as well.

Now my next task that needs to be attacked is all the holes that have to be drilled in the frame so that I can move the cross member up. I have decided to move everything up 1 1/4". Seems like it was the best compromise in the end. I have the passenger side fully drilled out and completed. Now I need to complete the drivers side frame rail, motor mounts, and move the steering box up the same distance as well.

I have decided to push myself to get this truck done by the end of July (budget/job/wife permitting). I am using the Heat Wave show in Austin, TX as my goal. The show is July 26-27, and I plan on being there. So now the crunch is on!
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #104
75Dually

Got all my tires mounted today (finally!). So tonight I put the rear duals on. I was seriously crossing my fingers as I checked out the clearances as I raised the rear end. I was so happy to find out all the hard work paid off!! No clearance issues!!! I have 1/2" total clearance at the top when the rear is at it's lowest point.

The reason for the lack of clearance issues is Tennessee Wheel and Tire machined the face of the rear rims, and that gave me the 3/4" of clearance I needed. I cannot thank Trevor enough. If you want work done for your dually wheels that is the place to go!

I cannot tell you how happy I am that I do not have to modify the rear fenders. That saves me days and days of work. Now I can concentrate on some more important portions of the build.

Stay tuned
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #105
SCOTI

Did TW&T supply your wheels & do the machining or did they just do the machine work?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #106
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Did TW&T supply your wheels & do the machining or did they just do the machine work?
Scoti - I supplied the wheels (Accurides), and Trevor did the machine work. Super fast and really good to work with!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #107
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
Scoti - I supplied the wheels (Accurides), and Trevor did the machine work. Super fast and really good to work with!
Where is a good source for finding big wheels? I like certain styles only but when I google images the sources rarely help me identify the exact p/n for them.

Unfortunately for me, I would have to modify the fenders (widen them). Where you set your bags under the frame, mine sit just out side the rail. I've been negotiating on the sale of some raised/stretched fenders but not sure I want to pull the trigger (I don't really need them raised & really want to see them in person before 100% commiting).

Sticking w/some 16's/17's is sure looking cost effective
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #108
SCOTI

Or.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #109
75Dually

Quote:
Where is a good source for finding big wheels? I like certain styles only but when I google images the sources rarely help me identify the exact p/n for them.

Unfortunately for me, I would have to modify the fenders (widen them). Where you set your bags under the frame, mine sit just out side the rail. I've been negotiating on the sale of some raised/stretched fenders but not sure I want to pull the trigger (I don't really need them raised & really want to see them in person before 100% commiting).

Sticking w/some 16's/17's is sure looking cost effective
As far as good sources for the big wheels, go through the phone book (or internet) for local truck salvage yards. That would be my first place to hunt. Plus you live in the DFW area, there are tons of those kind of places around, just check them out and ask those guys if they know someone if you run a ground. If your going to be picky on the brand or style then you can order them from Tennessee Wheel & Tire, and Trevor will do everything in house that you want done.

First of all, and this is just me talking, do what I did with my truck. Go get a 3/4 ton rear end, which are much narrower than what you have in there today, get the rims machined, and you wont have to modify any of the body work. And if you do this swap change the bag location. Trust me when I say that is a great setup and not messing with the fenders is icing on the cake.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #110
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
As far as good sources for the big wheels, go through the phone book (or internet) for local truck salvage yards. That would be my first place to hunt. Plus you live in the DFW area, there are tons of those kind of places around, just check them out and ask those guys if they know someone if you run a ground. If your going to be picky on the brand or style then you can order them from Tennessee Wheel & Tire, and Trevor will do everything in house that you want done.

First of all, and this is just me talking, do what I did with my truck. Go get a 3/4 ton rear end, which are much narrower than what you have in there today, get the rims machined, and you wont have to modify any of the body work. And if you do this swap change the bag location. Trust me when I say that is a great setup and not messing with the fenders is icing on the cake.
Yeah.... I went back & forth on how to set the rear up. What type of link set-up... Where to place the bags... Dana 70HD or a C&C/SRW 14bolt....

Ultimately it came down to being able to purchase a used Ride Tech HD 4-bar kit for about 1/4 of the retail price tag. I knew I was going to modify things to suit my exact set-up; the used kit & used price worked best so I could do my tweaks, have a well engineered set-up, & be budget friendly.

I like the big wheels but not @ the big cost. I checked w/TW&T & the price tag for the Townasty's was significant. That's a bunch of coin I can spend on my other trucks since my 16's/17's will fit as is.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #111
75Dually

Quote:
Yeah.... I went back & forth on how to set the rear up. What type of link set-up... Where to place the bags... Dana 70HD or a C&C/SRW 14bolt....

Ultimately it came down to being able to purchase a used Ride Tech HD 4-bar kit for about 1/4 of the retail price tag. I knew I was going to modify things to suit my exact set-up; the used kit & used price worked best so I could do my tweaks, have a well engineered set-up, & be budget friendly.

I like the big wheels but not @ the big cost. I checked w/TW&T & the price tag for the Townasty's was significant. That's a bunch of coin I can spend on my other trucks since my 16's/17's will fit as is.
Scoti - This is such a cool hobby, note I did not say cheap hobby, but we can all do our own thing and have our own unique way of having a cool ride.

I do hope you get your big rims someday... Just sayin'
Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #112
75Dually

I got the cross member installed as well as the steering box today. Everything now is 1 1/4" forward!! I also got the brakes and the adapters painted. Tomorrow I need to paint the calipers and then do a lot of the small items to finish up this portion of the build.

The air line is on the floor in these pics. I will run them to the back tomorrow and secure them to the frame rail with OEM clamps. Whew I am beat
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #113
75Dually

It's on baby! It's on the ground!!!

Got it off the stands tonight, and I got the front suspension completed! In the pic below it is on the cross member and the rear is all the way down.

I will put some video out tonight of the front end and the whole truck raising and lowering.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #114
75Dually

OK here is the promised video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMltUUoQjaY

Check it out!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #115
mooseknuckles

sweet!
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #116
suxtobu65

Where did you get your 10 lug adapters? And where did you source your wheels from?

thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #117
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by suxtobu65 View Post
Where did you get your 10 lug adapters? And where did you source your wheels from?

thanks
The adapters I bought from American Force wheels. I looked at a lot of the adapters on the market and they looked to be best. My wheels I got from a local truck bone yard. I dug through bunches of wheels ( and spiders! )to come up with a complete set that were not tore up and abused. Still have to polish them up, but they are in fairly good shape to start with.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #118
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Aren't there several different versions and sizes of these semi wheels?
How do you know you are getting the correct bolt pattern or hub center?
I'm a 10-lug wheel newbie. Ha

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #119
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Aren't there several different versions and sizes of these semi wheels?
How do you know you are getting the correct bolt pattern or hub center?
I'm a 10-lug wheel newbie. Ha
I've been researching that info & still haven't figured it out... I only like certain wheels but can't seem to determine what/how to determine what' fits what. Not much @ all on the www that lists offsets & such.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #120
75Dually

Guys I am doing a separate build thread on my York 210 and Accuair install.

Here is the link to that thread.
http://www.duallyscene.com/forums/su...all-t8529.html
Old 04-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #121
75Dually

OK other than all the York and air ride stuff I have been working on, I did get my battery box finished today. Once the paint dries I will show you guys the mounting system I came up with. It is super simple, but secure which is really what matters.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #122
75Dually

I got the battery box installed along with the batteries today. Went to our local battery supply house and got them to make me a positive line to run to the starter.

I had left the wiring for the electric fuel pump/fuel sender on the donor vehicle until I was ready for it. So tonight I went out and pulled it, but the end had been cut! Oh no! So I went and pulled my wiring diagrams and got all serious about finding where these two loan soldiers are supposed to go. So after that I went out to look at the truck I noticed a couple hanging wires close to the main harness, and they had a piece of tape attached to them where I had written "Find out where these go?" on it. Low and behold they were the same color wires as the ones I was looking for. I don't remember cutting them, but I must have done it when I yanked the engine... And I thought I was being extra careful labeling everything... Well at least the mystery is now solved! Duh!
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 AM   #123
75Dually

These came in today! Getting closer...
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #124
75Dually

Several months ago I had put a picture on this thread of the dash in my 61 Chevy parts truck, and talked about potentially putting it in the dually. Well today I got out the implements of destruction, and went to town on both dashes. The dually dash came out super easy (trust me when I say I was surprised), and the 61 dash fought me at every turn. However I won that battle! So out it came kicking and fighting. I graduated from bigger hammer school folks...

Seeing that I am mostly done with the air ride stuff for the time being I wanted something else to tackle. So now the hard work begins. I will tack it in and start to add all the sheet metal fillers.

This is going to be a lot of work, but nothing I can't handle. However the end result is going to be worth it.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #125
mooseknuckles

lookin good.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote