The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #1
Dmeyer

78 chevy big 10 pre runner

Hi all,
New to the forum life. Want some info if anyone can help me out. I have a 1978 Chevy silverado 2WD. I'm looking to build a pre-runner Baja style pick up. Basically I was wondering if anyone has any paperwork or drawings or any info really on how to do long arm suspension systems front and back. I've been searching the forums and internet for a good guide on how to go about it but haven't found one yet. Not wanting to spend 10K on a pro style system. I'm fine with scavenging parts and fabricating but not sure what parts to scavenge and how to do the rear suspension. Any tips or info would help thanks in advance.

Want to do something similar to the picture I've added.
Attached Images

Dmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: 78 chevy big 10 pre runner

I have been doing research on this for quite awhile, and there is honestly effectively nothing.

So I have come up with a few options from to choose from when I get rid of my car.

1. Find a E series van with the forged I beams, and graft the frame sections together. The van works because the steering box is in front the beams, and the truck won't work due to steering box location. You could use the cast I beam front end but to me it likely won't be a upgrade.

2. Move your lower A arm forward 1 inch. This gives lots of extra camber for much better handling. The get a set of uni-balls ,and fabricate longer A-arms. While not the most high tech it will give many benefits. Do not skimp on the shocks or springs.

3. The last option is is bag your front end for a lift. My guess is use a re8 bag. Mount brackets for dual shocks. While not great it is budget friendly till you have the budget, and worked very well till the 90's when better shocks became cheaper. Also get wheel for more offset to help widen the track.

4. This works well for all mods, but get cut fenders flares for the best compression room.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
daddyjeep

The suspension system you are looking to put together is going to be 100% custom so don't limit your searching to the truck you have. There should be plenty of resources out there for pre runner suspension systems. It sounds like a cool build so be sure to start a build thread so we can follow along.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
DieselSJ

www.race-dezert.com

Look in the fabrication forums there. They are helpful and are nice to newbies.