The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
dujobu

Cleaning old oil/grease off truck parts

Does anyone know of a relatively easy way to clean old oil and grease off of old truck parts?
dujobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
mcampbell

Re: Cleaning old oil/grease off truck parts

Oven cleaner. $5 at grocery store but the dollar store cheap stuff seems to work, it might need to soak longer. It will take some of the old paint off also so be kind of careful. Underside of my hood is bare now.
mcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
leddzepp

POR marine clean. Years of caked up grease and junk falls off like butter.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Rooster's 67

watch the oven cleaner around any painted surface, also aluminum anodized or not. it will cause damage to those surfaces quick.
like leddzepp said, Por's marine clean is a very good cleaner too.
I have used Castrol superclean (available at WM) it works very well and is like $7.00 a gal
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
dujobu

With any of these cleaners mentioned above, do you just soak the part / spray it on the part and it dissolves right off? Or use a hose to get it off? Or what? I tried Pine Sol today and it softened up the oil, then I hit it with a hose and it didn't budge. It wipes off easy enough, but some of these parts are not conducive to being wiped off due to too much intricate facets. The thought crossed my mind to try blowing it off with a pressure washer after soaking it in a cleaner.
dujobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #6
Rooster's 67

The castrol Superclean works well with nylon bristled scrub brushes, after you scrape the thick stuff off. I use it in a spray bottle and spray continuously while scraping/brushing works pretty good. Better yet is when I had my steam pressure cleaner before it was stolen, little cleaner and then use pressure washer.....CLEAN!
Some car washes make decent pressure, but the owners of them don't care for all the grease.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 AM   #7
vectorit
What?

My favorite is Castrol Superclean, since it doesn't leave a toxic mess.

I tend to move slow on stuff like this, so if you are in a hurry the best thing is to take all your stuff to a shop.

If you don't mind taking your time, then the do it yourself cleaners are good.
My thing is, is to do it on hot days. But if you are in a cold climate, then hook up a hose to your water heater and fill up a bucket with the cleaner. Then drop your parts in there and let them soak for a couple hours, and if they are really caked with grime let them soak for days.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
donut

How clean do you want things and how much effort are you willing to put into it?
My fathers truck, I wouldn't check the oil without using a spray degreaser and a hose on the engine.

My truck I went into a little more detail. Putty knife for the big chunks, Castrol Super-Clean was in there, I used a brass wire brush or nylon brush for scrubbing. Hose off (or pressure wash if available).
On mine it was in stages. I wasn't afraid to hit the part on the truck, just so I wasn't going to get covered in crud, then pull it off to do a better job. All summer long I had a stack of parts waiting to be cleaned up. As I got to a stopping point working on the truck, or waiting point, parts got cleaned up.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Superclean or Simple Green

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
john_p

the wife stopped by the local dollar store today and picked up a spray can of grill and oven cleaner. since i just pulled the bed i sprayed some of the worst areas.. one water hose later and the grease was gone... not bad for a buck are two..
john_p is offline   Reply With Quote