The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #201
TA_C10

Re: 71 Cheyenne Rooftop Build

Awesome dude

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 12-28-2019 at 12:54 PM.
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:07 PM   #202
cornerstone

You've really made something to be proud of bud!

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #203
cebra

Thanks, not a lot of updates as I am just driving the truck daily and fixing small issues as they pop up. I did put the new style headlights in from LMC and they are so much better than the old ones and really freshened up the front end. I have a cab leak I am trying to figure out and ordered new ACC floor mats. This weekend I am going to change the transmission driveshaft seal and the back up light switch.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #204
cornerstone

Man I can't wait to be where you're at on my truck! Such a huge change for that old long bed. This just hit me though.. when I see you're shiny new classic truck, I'm also aware that the overwhelming giant population of low life thieves is watching it too. Please tell me you have that covered. I just get so sick when I see the dreaded post, "stolen truck". I'd really hate to see that happen to you bro.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #205
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Man I can't wait to be where you're at on my truck! Such a huge change for that old long bed. This just hit me though.. when I see you're shiny new classic truck, I'm also aware that the overwhelming giant population of low life thieves is watching it too. Please tell me you have that covered. I just get so sick when I see the dreaded post, "stolen truck". I'd really hate to see that happen to you bro.
Unfortunately I do not have it at all covered. You cannot get insurance on a daily driven classic vehicle that I have found and I looked a lot. You can only get insurance under X miles per year (like 500 not 30K) if you have a secured parking spot for full classic value. People on regular insurance (not classic like Hagerty, etc) think they are covered but there is a huge clause of "stated value", I state the value of my truck at $35K but in a collision of my fault or theft the insurance company will only pay out what they deem the value ($600 in my case which would make basically any fender bender of my fault a total loss). The only useful event where stated value comes into play is if someone (with insurance) hits me, my insurance company will pursue up to the stated value. Essentially, I am forced to roll the dice and fix whatever happens in the event that it happens and have a salvage title afterward. It is a gross thought but there is no way around it unless I want to garage my truck which I personally would rather not have a classic if it is just going to sit.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:52 AM   #206
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
Unfortunately I do not have it at all covered. You cannot get insurance on a daily driven classic vehicle that I have found and I looked a lot. You can only get insurance under X miles per year (like 500 not 30K) if you have a secured parking spot for full classic value. People on regular insurance (not classic like Hagerty, etc) think they are covered but there is a huge clause of "stated value", I state the value of my truck at $35K but in a collision of my fault or theft the insurance company will only pay out what they deem the value ($600 in my case which would make basically any fender bender of my fault a total loss). The only useful event where stated value comes into play is if someone (with insurance) hits me, my insurance company will pursue up to the stated value. Essentially, I am forced to roll the dice and fix whatever happens in the event that it happens and have a salvage title afterward. It is a gross thought but there is no way around it unless I want to garage my truck which I personally would rather not have a classic if it is just going to sit.
I’m hoping someone will chime in here with a good solution for you with respect to insurance. I guess I was thinking more of a tracking device or a hidden switch to cut tall power to the truck when you leave it in public places. I think there are really cheap tracking devices available now. I remember one guy had an old cell phone he hid in inside the cab that was always being charged. That way the truck could be found using the find my phone feature. Pardon my ignorance on the details here, I’m not that savvy with anything technical.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #207
cebra

Good points, I do have a kill switch to the ignition. I will probably add another to the fuel pump more hidden when I take it on the power tour. I used to live in St Louis and it is pretty rough so I will be nervous parking there.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #208
MDPotter

I'm going through this process right now. When I bought my truck, my regular insurance (USAA) insured it and I told them what I paid for it (a lot less than I have in it now) and then I cancelled the policy when I started the build. I called USAA today and they said they can't insure it because it's a classic (the rep has a couple classic cars of her own and recognized the issue). So they referred me to a classic car insurance provider (some affiliate of USAA) so I talked to them and they didn't say no, but basically told me that I wouldn't be covered in some situations. I won't be driving it every day, but the classic insurance providers seem to only want to insure it if you only drive it to shows or to run the engine. What's the fun in that? I want to be able to drive it to work every now and then, cruise, go to dinner, etc.

I priced Hagerty too and they were about the same cost as the classic provider but had the same restrictions. Grundy turned me down.

I called USAA back and the rep I talked to wasn't phased by the classic condition of it and went ahead and processed the added vehicle. They still have the $4,400 down as the original purchase price, but hopefully if something happens they will be fair and realize the appreciated and invested value of it. So like cebra said, I'm a little at risk but I don't know what other option I have. But the premium I'm paying now is much lower than any classic car insurance provider. So even if something happens, I'm not out much money as far as premiums down the drain.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax

Last edited by MDPotter; 01-16-2020 at 05:01 PM.
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #209
cebra

Not a lot of updates really, I do need to start taking some pictures of the truck though. I have put 9,700 miles on the LS swap now. I drive it every day and tinker with it on the weekends less last night I put new front pads on. I got the high $ ones and they were chewing up my rotors pretty good so I went back to the softer/cheaper ones.

I have a few things going on to resolve in the near future:
1. leaking rear seal on trans (replaced last weekend but it didn't fix issue)
2. cab leaks still going on
3. front brake lines rubbing on suspension

I am also thinking about getting a craftec bed cover for it but have not decided yet.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:46 PM   #210
mcm1209

Big props dude!! I'm starting my build and have a 30x40 shop at my house and get overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to do. Starting with a frame. This whole thread just slapped me in the face and called me a little *****!! LOL
mcm1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #211
cebra

Thanks, I am doing what I can with my lack of space but so far so good. I got my 2nd oil change Friday so I have put 10,500 miles on the swap now....looks like I will be well over 30K miles on it the first year of driving at this rate. This weekend I did my rear brakes, new headlight connector, installed some firewall plugs, went through all the fluids, and used a scrub brush on the under side which was nice and cold laying soaking wet in a driveway but I took it up to the mountains to snowboard last week (pic below) and wanted to make sure to get any salt off.

For this week, DS lock broke, I need to install my GPS with a power port under the seat to keep it charged, and my steering gear is leaking out of the top seal (replaced bottom seal already). I may have to battle the cab leak as well but we shall see when it rains today....I have 20+ hours in trying to resolve this frustrating issue.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2020, 03:14 AM   #212
RedBeard68

Man I just ran through your build thread and love how you are able to build on the go without a shop at times. I *****ed about a cramped garage but I guess I need to kick it in gear ha. Truck is looking real good man.
RedBeard68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #213
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard68 View Post
Man I just ran through your build thread and love how you are able to build on the go without a shop at times. I *****ed about a cramped garage but I guess I need to kick it in gear ha. Truck is looking real good man.
Thanks it was (and still is) a pain sometimes and I got in over my head a couple times and had to outsource work but I have a nice classic daily driver now so all is good.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #214
cebra

Still putting boatloads of miles on her. I am about to tackle some small projects as it is warming up: new exhaust collectors, shortened steering wheel adapter, steering gear seal replacement, turn signal switch, bed cover. These pictures were taken in Boone, NC...drove her 6 hours for a weekend snowboarding trip.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #215
cebra

On a side note, since this truck is a pretty reliable daily driver now, I am looking for a decent square body that I will not need to do a complete paintjob on. I plan to leave it carbd (I have the 350 tucked away in my living room from this truck that runs great), leave it aged/weathered/patina, and put a big step notch and air ride on it. I really want the yellowish tan color for the square.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #216
MDPotter

Glad to hear it's been a reliable daily driver! I hate to see these trucks left to rot in a field or sit in a garage all the time. Get out and drive the wheels off it!
2008 Silverado Duramax
Old 03-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #217
72 tigger

(I have the 350 tucked away in my living room from this truck that runs great),

I love this! I like your truck too
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:56 PM   #218
TA_C10

Glad to hear your daily driving is going good. Makes me feel better about DD mine. Can't wait.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #219
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Glad to hear your daily driving is going good. Makes me feel better about DD mine. Can't wait.
The first couple of months were frustrating working out the bugs (and not having a backup vehicle). It was basically drive (or even limp) through the week and wrench on the weekends but now it is getting pretty reliable. I have a lot of small things I want to do but not a lot I have to do. I have about 13K miles on it in 3-4 months. I have taken it on 5 roadtrips of 6 hours or more now. I like hitting the road in it and getting all the thumbs up and such.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #220
SCOTI

I saw your reply on the 'short bed conversion' thread so I thought I would check out your build. Very impressive that you undertook & completed all that work in those conditions. The roof-top/parking garage drivetrain swap FTW (even though you couldn't get it completed because of 'The Man').

Truck looks good & glad to see you're enjoying it!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:46 PM   #221
layinrocker65

I don’t know if you tried insurance through Farmers but I’ve had good luck with them for classic cars that aren’t garaged and actually driven. They just wrote a check for $3k in paint damage to my 74 from a pop up tent that the wind blew into it. They didn’t question a single thing about it. I don’t know how a stolen report would be paid out for my $25k value I told them the truck was value at though.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #222
cebra

I work in the automotive industry and have been on furlough for a few weeks now. With that said, it has given me tons of time to work on the truck. I have replaced the front brake lines with braided ones (feels much better), replaced the steering gear input shaft seal, seam sealed a couple small leaks in the cowl, touched up some minor paint chips here and there, adjusted the drum brakes, repainted my steering wheel, extended my seatbelts which allowed me to scoot the seat back a bit further (love my FCF seat brackets), and installed a new brake rod firewall boot. The steering and brakes feel a lot better now.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #223
cebra

When I pulled the inner fender to do the input shaft seal, I noticed a lot of rusty/cruddy looking parts on the steering and brake parts so I touched those up while I was in there (no after pics yet). I forgot to post this pic driving home from work on our only snow day in NC. I also pulled a rear bumper for my dads truck (rusted out in PA) or well was the wrench runner as the girlfriend did most of the work haha.

Next up on the to do list is (1) replace clutch master which I am not happy about as it is only 6 months old and a pricey Wilwood one, it developed a leak around the push rod (2) replace stick on trim clips with bolt on ones on lower door trim (double sided tape came loose) (3) fix parking brake handle and (4) replace trailing arm bushings.
Attached Images

Last edited by cebra; 04-04-2020 at 12:50 PM. Reason: add pics
cebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #224
ls1nova71

[QUOTE=cebra;8708608] I also pulled a rear bumper..... the girlfriend did most of the work [QUOTE]

She's a keeper!

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #225
MDPotter

What’s the status of your engine? I remember seeing a thread in the Lsx section awhile back and sounded like you were having issues with your 4.8?
2008 Silverado Duramax