The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Chad77

8.1 L Question anyone?

I am in the process of building a buggy with a friend and we are using a 8.1L and we have heard that it is possible to turn the intake around but I cant find any info on it ?

I would assume that the injector wires stay on the sides they are on and all you would have to do would be to flop it around ?

I would like to use a 4L80E and a 205 how would one go about doing that? I have heard that I would need a 2wd and not a 4wd and do some mod's would that be true?
Chad77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: 8.1 L Question anyone?

Chad,

I am about 90% positive the intake is indeed symmetrical where it can be flipped around, as I have seen pictures of Marine 8.1L engines (Mercruiser and Volvo Penta) that appear to have the throttle body towards the rear of the engine. It could be a unique marine intake or it just flips around. I know the upper plenum on the L29 7.4L was symmetrical for this reason so I wouldn’t be surprised if the 8.1L is symmetrical as well.

Do some research Mercruiser and Volvo Penta 8.1L engines and I bet you’ll find your answer. Or better yet, if you already have the 8.1L pop the intake off and see if it will mount backwards first hand. The intake gaskets are reusable and no coolant flows through the intake and there isn’t a distributor to hassle with so it is a quick job to pull one off.

Now if the intake proves to be symmetrical, you will need to route the injector harness the same way as it was originally intended or you will be sequentially squirting fuel in the wrong cylinders at the wrong time.

You can use any transmission you want behind an 8.1L. I ran a SM465 behind mine for 2 years and in process of swapping in a NV4500 now. I know of a guy that put a 8.1L in an old Corvette that even used a 700R4. A 4L80E would be fine. If you are looking at using a 205 case then you would need a 4wd 4L80E.

Not sure what your plans are for a harness, but I highly recommend Howell Engine Development for your harness and any custom tunning you would need. Plus they are in your neighborhood (Marine City, MI). Great guys to work with! I do not recommend trying to rework a harness from a Silverado to make the engine run in buggy or old vehicle.

http://www.howellefi.com/customer/ge...e-by-wire.html

Pictures from when I had my 8.1L apart a few years ago.

Pictures of my 8.1L swap.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1188958...7605630911630/

Good luck with your project.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
Chad77

Thanks eh!
Chad77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Blazer1970

The heads are both exactly the same. The intake will mount either way.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Just because the heads are the same, as they are with most V8 engines, doesn’t mean the intake can be flipped around if the engine block front and rear walls are shaped differently. The only sure fire way to find this out is to pull the intake and try it.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote