The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
encasedmetal

Has anyone sold their project truck?

I need some advice. I have come to the conclusion that the status of my current project truck-a 63' GMC stepside isn't going to progress anytime soon, and the costs of getting it where I want ti plus my own time are too high. So I have decided to sell it. I am wondering if anyone has sold their project as a complete package before and if so, do you have any advice for me? I have every bolt out of the truck. I have replaced all the bad sheet metal in the cab except for the upper windshield area. The fenders and doors still need patching though- will that be an issue if I decide to part it out? thanks for all input in advance.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Has anyone sold their project truck?

You can bet your time doesn't account for 1$. You didn't invest you spent and what you spent has no relevance on what it is worth.
Parting it out takes time. To post, market and sell, then box up and ship each and every part and then deal with anyone who has second thoughts when they receive the part.
But on the other hand you will probably make more money parting it out.
But you will not make as much as you think anyway, so take a deep breath, relax and realize it may not happen all at once. Good luck on your new adventure.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
Warrens69GMC

My .02

Put it together as a functioning truck as it is and enjoy.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
My .02

Put it together as a functioning truck as it is and enjoy.
I'll dbl that.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
Old 09-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
RANDY COX

Yep when you completely take one apart and if you're doing the resto yourself then it can get overwhelming, I've had several old vehicles in the past and I've always just did little things at a time and still have it drivable cause if it ain't then you could very discouraged very easily...My current truck I had it for about 3 yrs before I could make it road worthy. had to replace the rockers all the usual rusted out areas and I only worked on it when ever I had time or felt like it..it takes time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$ which I never had a lot of cash to put in it sooooooooo a little at a time... And if you need some pick me ups, then I would recommend looking at other peoples builds to keep you going that's what I did...My truck still needs a lot of work but it's drivable now and I'm enjoying it for now...
it's not a show queen or trailer queen but it's a truck and I use it as a truck....
Name:  new pixs 002.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  69.6 KB
Old 09-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
Nanook

Thumbs up Re: Has anyone sold their project truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY COX View Post
Yep when you completely take one apart and if you're doing the resto yourself then it can get overwhelming, I've had several old vehicles in the past and I've always just did little things at a time and still have it drivable cause if it ain't then you could very discouraged very easily...My current truck I had it for about 3 yrs before I could make it road worthy. had to replace the rockers all the usual rusted out areas and I only worked on it when ever I had time or felt like it..it takes time and $$$$$$$$$$$$$ which I never had a lot of cash to put in it sooooooooo a little at a time... And if you need some pick me ups, then I would recommend looking at other peoples builds to keep you going that's what I did...My truck still needs a lot of work but it's drivable now and I'm enjoying it for now...
it's not a show queen or trailer queen but it's a truck and I use it as a truck....
Attachment 1690283
Great advice.....
Old 09-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
encasedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
You can bet your time doesn't account for 1$. You didn't invest you spent and what you spent has no relevance on what it is worth.
Parting it out takes time. To post, market and sell, then box up and ship each and every part and then deal with anyone who has second thoughts when they receive the part.
But on the other hand you will probably make more money parting it out.
But you will not make as much as you think anyway, so take a deep breath, relax and realize it may not happen all at once. Good luck on your new adventure.
money's not the issue what so ever but I appreciate what you're trying to say. I'd ask 1600 for the entire truck, or could make around 3600 if I parted it out. Time is my issue. I already asked this question on a fb group and people want to buy it but their location doesn't warrant the sale. too often I see projects on craigslist for crazy money. I just want what I have in it, so that I can buy another truck and enjoy what limited free time I have.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by encasedmetal View Post
... I just want what I have in it, ...
Rarely an occurrence.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
Robert Haas

Time is the single most expensive allocation in this hobby.

If you do not have the time to do a build and started one anyway, you made a poor decision.

If you have no time to build it, I doubt you have the time to part it out.

Sell it as a basket case and wash your hands of a poor decision and move on.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
encasedmetal

wow thanks for the help everyone-glad I asked. "roll eyes".

Ya'll act like I'm going to asking outlandish money for a POS. as for time and poor decisions- things change as time goes on. I asked for advice on how best to sell it, not if I should or how much etc.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #11
The Rocknrod

Are they puttin something in the water these days?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
Robert Haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by encasedmetal View Post
wow thanks for the help everyone-glad I asked. "roll eyes".

Ya'll act like I'm going to asking outlandish money for a POS. as for time and poor decisions- things change as time goes on. I asked for advice on how best to sell it, not if I should or how much etc.
I gave you plain honest answers to your question.

I said sell it, not to waste what time you don't have on parting it out.

If this hurt your feelings I am sorry but if you started something you can't finish and want to blame it on "Things change" then why would the description of "poor decision" not apply?

Man up, own it and move on. Buy something that will not require the time you do not have to be consumed.

Most of us make serious sacrifices of our precious and very valuable time to build these trucks, you won't get a lot of sympathy about you bailing out on a project but we all understand why you are.

Good luck with however this works out.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

I am going to lock this thread as it borders on a WTW and it's getting snarky to boot.

And to answer the OP question, yes I have sold my disassembled project truck (my '68). I got pennies on the dollar for what I had into it. I got a 1/4 of what I had into it but I was freed of this monkey that was just hanging on my back. It allowed me to move on to other things.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
Closed Thread