The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
catch2otwo

I need guidance!

So Ive bought myself a 68 gmc long bed 2wd leaf spring truck...

My eyeballs have fallen out from reading all the build threads on here and my mind is now a jumble.

My issue is this is my daily driver. All these build threads show guys trucks being hacked up and put away for months if not years.

My end goal is a porterbuilt bagged truck. However, Im lost as to how to approach this goal in steps? For example. I know that I will need to convert to front discs in order to run drop spindles. Id really like to do things once so whatever I get now, I'd like to run later. I have no idea where to start.

This is where I think im headed. The cpp grand slam kit. Looks like its everything I need to do a disc brake conversion plus drop spindles that I will be able to use later when I decide to bag?

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...6772GSK-5D.htm

Is that a good way to start this project? Seems like a pretty complete setup for a newb to get his feet wet
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
Pro Performance

Re: I need guidance!

That is definitely a good start and most of the parts can be used as your build your air suspension. Of course, the coils won't be used. Other items that would not be used when bagged is the tie rod adjusters & tie-rod ends. When going to a dropmember, it will convert over to rack and pinion steering. The shocks might be able to be used, but all depends on length.

If you are planning to bag using a stock crossmember and use their Stage 1 front kit for example, then your tie-rods and adjusters will all still be used. Shocks will come with their Stage 1 kit. If adding PB arms, then the ball joints become obsolete as well.

How far do you think you might be from bagging? If very soon, then I would maybe piece together just a brake & drop spindle kit. But, if a little down the road, then of course, new tie-rods would be nice to have. In the end, if you don't use the tie-rods, ball joints, etc., it isn't necessarily a big cost item to not be using in the future... but still hard-earned money spent.

Hope this info helped.

- Travis

Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
catch2otwo

Re: I need guidance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Performance View Post
That is definitely a good start and most of the parts can be used as your build your air suspension. Of course, the coils won't be used. Other items that would not be used when bagged is the tie rod adjusters & tie-rod ends. When going to a dropmember, it will convert over to rack and pinion steering. The shocks might be able to be used, but all depends on length.

If you are planning to bag using a stock crossmember and use their Stage 1 front kit for example, then your tie-rods and adjusters will all still be used. Shocks will come with their Stage 1 kit. If adding PB arms, then the ball joints become obsolete as well.

How far do you think you might be from bagging? If very soon, then I would maybe piece together just a brake & drop spindle kit. But, if a little down the road, then of course, new tie-rods would be nice to have. In the end, if you don't use the tie-rods, ball joints, etc., it isn't necessarily a big cost item to not be using in the future... but still hard-earned money spent.

Hope this info helped.

- Travis

Thanks for the reply. It will be about a year or more before i can fully bag it. Im not too worried about not reusing tie rods and such. Its the more big ticket items like spindles and such. Ece has a similar kit but a few hundred cheaper. Ill have to look deeper into it to see what the differences are.

Also the kit linked is for a coil rear. Ive got a leaf sprig rear so im assuming they just use a axle flip kit instead? Are you a vendor?

Posted via Mobile Device
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote