The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Gromit

Bedside Fix or Replace 1970 C10

Looking online today new bedsides for the longbed fleet are going for $620 plus shipping.

I removed this original passenger side a few days ago and am puzzling over whether this is too far gone or not.

So anyone willing to weigh in with what you would do if you didn't have a mig and the last time you welded Nixon was in office and they only had arc and OA.

Actually I wouldn't mind getting a mig welder so maybe a way to look at is if I were successful in welding in the patch panels that would be almost like $620 towards the welder..

The rest of the bed is in decent shape and it just a work truck but since I have the bed off I thought now is the time.
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:50 PM   #2
Gromit

Re: Bedside Fix or Replace 1970 C10

Few more photos - the inner bedside looks reasonable, even near the dent
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
OL SKOOL

I would look for a good used one. Should not be too hard to find. Put a W.T.B. in the parts section.
OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I agree...try to find another one...paying someone to fix that would probably cost more than the $620..
Thin sheetmetal is not where youd want to brush up on your welding skills...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
MP&C

Anytime you have a folded over crease like that, you have to unfold the damage before you can hammer out the creases. Here's a recent post where I show that exact scenario....

Quote:
Last night was repair time for a dirt car. We had a severe fold/wrinkle to remove to get ready for next weekend, and with little in the means to "pull", we resorted to some MacGyver action on some Vise Grips...

That should hold it for this weekend.

that bedside looks fairly straight otherwise, unless I'm missing something.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Gromit

Thanks for the replies, every one helps.

Wow I've never seen the setup for stretching a panel like that - those photos are helpful.

Just for future viewers who might have a similar situation, I'll post GMC Paul's photos of the related repair panels that are available now; their cost totals $168 at LMC Truck.

The rear lower section is described as only "fair" because it is not exactly like the OEM

Here is a description from GMC Paul's:

"from behind rear wheel to back of bed, Original heavy 19 gauge steel construction with EDP coated black primer applied. A Fair quality replacement panel due to missing some details we only offer this panel due to it being the only one available. The rolled bead on wheel arch is missing as well as indentation below taillight area. Both can be put on the panel by a competent body shop which is far easier than trying to fabricate this entire panel from scratch. 34-1/2" x 13"H."

Even if I do find a used bedside or buy a new one I will still eventually try some repair of this one - I wouldn't discard it; in other words but use it for practice. I looked on the 67-72Chevytrucks forum archives for someone who has separated the inner and outer bedsides but I couldn't find any photos (except some of a '66). I still need to look in the GM Assembly instructions.

Thanks again for the replies.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
MP&C

To clarify, it does not stretch but the intent is to unfold so that hammer and dolly work can straighten the panel. Those creases are near impossible to remove without removing any “overlap” first.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
Gromit

Good to know, and I'd like to point out that if I ever could get this bedside to the hammer and dolly stage, HF does have an inexpensive ($38) set that comes with a case.

The tools look kind of light compared to the thickness of the metal of these OEM bedsides but should be better than nothing and maybe a good starter set for a beginner.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2019, 05:53 AM   #9
GMCPaul

You'll save in the long run replacing with either a good used or new bed side with the amount of work that would be involved in trying to repair your current bed side. You posted photos of 2 items you would need but I can see you would also need the 67-72 Fleetside, Blazer, Jimmy Inner Bed Side Wheelhouse Flange that the outer bedside connects to inside the rear wheel arch. It also appears you'll need more of the upper bed side area than is on a complete wheel arch than the complete wheel arch patch covers. In regards to LWB bed sides we offer them for $575.00ea + shipping on a single bed side and $1100.00pr for those that need a pair.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote