The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
topher

can you lay frame with a 15 inch wide rim

I am building a 69 c10 full air ride with a step notched rear frame and i am away working at the moments and a friend found me a set of 20s the fronts at 20x8.5 with 4.5bs witch will work perfect but the rears at 20x15 with 6bs. if i was home i would go measure it myself but i am not can someone plz tell me if there is enough room between my box sides and frame rail to tuck a rim the large.

http://www.truckinweb.com/features/0...c10/index.html

i found this truck so i am thinking it might work
topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Mkcustums

Re: can you lay frame with a 15 inch wide rim

Are you really wanting to run that wide of a wheel? If it's just cause it's a good deal somewhere, you might wanna rethink it a little. That's just a really wide wheel is all, going take some work getting that to fit right.
Mkcustums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
SCOTI

A 15" wide wheel will physically fit between the stock frame rail & fleet bedside (I've had 15x15's mounted in that space before) but not by much. You're definitely going to have to narrow the housing & build a different rear suspension w/that 6" back spacing though.

Laying frame though? That's going to be tough as the wheel/tire will have to be tucked in because there will be interference w/the bedside (alot of interference I'm guessing).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-14-2011 at 10:01 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Anything is possible, it would look cool that's for sure. I wouldn't do it just for the look though, you better be running 10s If you've got tires that wide.
Posted via Mobile Device

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Mkcustums

Quick (example) pics from his link above...
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
Mkcustums

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
Anything is possible, it would look cool that's for sure. I wouldn't do it just for the look though, you better be running 10s If you've got tires that wide.
Posted via Mobile Device
I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's seeing pro street '88-'90's Chevy trucks running the factory V6 motors that were nearly stock.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
topher

well just order my rims Bonspeed quasars 20x8.5 front with 4.5bs and 20x14 rears wiht 6bs and for tires some Toyo Proxes 4 245/40R20 and for the rear some Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Radials 31x16R20 i will post up some pics ones i get everything in place.

yes i know i custom rear end is in order thats the next thing on the list ones my rims and tires show up. I dont think my truck will do 10s but it wont be a slug either it will be getting an ls 376 with 515hp and a T56 6 speed it should beat those 80 v6 chevy trucks to the end of the track by a foot or two.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkcustums View Post
Quick (example) pics from his link above...
My buddy Roger @ RPL Customs ordered/installed the wheels for this truck. He was the shop manager @ Stoked Out Specialties where the interior, underhood detail stuff, & tweaks to the suspension were completed.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
topher

really just interested could you ask him if the rear frame was narrowed to fit those tires or did they actually fit between the stock width frame and box sides ?
Old 04-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
really just interested could you ask him if the rear frame was narrowed to fit those tires or did they actually fit between the stock width frame and box sides ?
The frame was not narrowed. That truck is/was set-up very similar to how my RetroRod project was done.

Also.... that truck isn't really that low. That's where/when you'll really start noticing issues w/fitting all that rubber. It had standard c-notches installed into the frame & the rear housing wasn't riding inside the notched area. Both of my previous daily drivers w/c-notches had the rear housing tubes up into the notched area about 1" which would be the equivalent of about 8" rear drop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #11
topher

awesome thanks for the info i guess i will find out in 5 weeks when my rims and tires arrive what clearance issues i will have if any. My frame has been step notched 6 inches behind the cab with the box floor raised up and a weld in notch in the frame. I plan on tubing the rear a raising my tubs level to the box sides should give me plenty of room.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
okyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The frame was not narrowed. That truck is/was set-up very similar to how my RetroRod project was done.

Also.... that truck isn't really that low. That's where/when you'll really start noticing issues w/fitting all that rubber. It had standard c-notches installed into the frame & the rear housing wasn't riding inside the notched area. Both of my previous daily drivers w/c-notches had the rear housing tubes up into the notched area about 1" which would be the equivalent of about 8" rear drop.
does your friend remember the backspacing on the front and back wheels and how long the rear end was? i got a 67 and just picked up a big block motor for it and need some meats on it. i like this look more than the old pro street look. thanks for any info.
okyankee is offline   Reply With Quote