The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
blazer2007

opinions on my DIY bag brackets

Well I finished my AOL bag brackets and was looking for any feedback if it looks OK to install.Is 3/16 with 1/8 side struts welded by a shop.Was thinking of going over the top piece with my 110 wirefeed where is wasn,t welded.Thats why I asked in other thread [A welding ?] if was OK to weld beside another weld
Attached Images

blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: opinions on my DIY bag brackets

While I don't have the most favorable opinion of air-over-leaf, I'll keep it to your question.

If it were me, I'd throw a stitch of weld on all the sides where none was put. IMO 1.5" long stitches about the same apart would be my choice. There is nothing wrong with welding on the other side of where the first welds are, just keep your heat under control, since everything is already squared up.

I don't know about the rest of your setup, just make sure that at FULL compression (under some weight) the girth of your bag doesn't rub or touch the walls of the bracket. I had cups that came close and eventually rubbed, causing a near blowout.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Yeah i would weld it on the other side too,I have a bad habit of over building stuff but i have never worried if something will break or had anything break on me tho.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Yeah i would weld it on the other side too,I have a bad habit of over building stuff but i have never worried if something will break or had anything break on me tho.
I too have a bad habit of over building,I,m not surprized I didn,t make it out of 1/2 inch steel
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
blazer2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
While I don't have the most favorable opinion of air-over-leaf, I'll keep it to your question.

If it were me, I'd throw a stitch of weld on all the sides where none was put. IMO 1.5" long stitches about the same apart would be my choice. There is nothing wrong with welding on the other side of where the first welds are, just keep your heat under control, since everything is already squared up.

I don't know about the rest of your setup, just make sure that at FULL compression (under some weight) the girth of your bag doesn't rub or touch the walls of the bracket. I had cups that came close and eventually rubbed, causing a near blowout.
Thanks,the AOL is just temp for this year so I can aleast go for a ride before summer is over and the bags are firestone 9000 so lots of room
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I agree, add a stitch or two for piece of mind. No, it probably won't help in the least bit but you will feel better.

As for the negative vibe about AoL, get past it. They work just fine, if set of properly. I have a few years and miles on one to verify that there is nothing bad about an AoL system.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I said I wasn't gonna get into it....but...Its not that they don't work...its just that its a half-measure for certain vehicles where the ease of 3 or 4link exists. (im gonna hate on 2 links and parrallel 4's, but thats just stigma left over from my mini trucking days).

I won't stop anyone from doing it, and heck there are some cars where I wouldn't argue especially for same of room/clearance. In a truck there is SO much room and its all easy to get it. I've had and driven them as well; the lack of additional moving parts and specialized aftermarket pieces for the install usually means that they are mostly maintenance free.

My issue with them is that either your overall travel is limited. You can't lift nearly as far, and to lay fully out you usually have to lose multiple leaf springs, depending on the weight of the bed. And it isn't as much fun for side-to-side if you play with switches alot.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote