The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
Rusty one

63 door alignment issues

I know thete are a few threads on the subject but i havent heard of my issue.....
Working on a 63 and I'm replacing the drivers door..I had noticed before taking the original door off,there was an 1inch gap at the top near the edge of the windshield. I figured I'd be able to adjust it when replacing it with a rust free door.
Unfortunately I have the same gap,in the same place when i put the other door on.
All the other gaps are good. Any clue as to why this and the other door didn't line up in the same spot?
I will add...the original door would not close,it latched twice but when I pulled on the handle it opened one latch but not the other.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou
Rusty one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: 63 door alignment issues

Post some pictures to help us out.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Try aligning the door without the door latch or front fender first, then the front fender and cowl.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
Rusty one

Sorry for the delay ...life getting in the way. Here's a few pics. I did adjust in somewhat better but the door still isn't where it should be. Maybe it's been bent??
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
PGSigns

The door needs to come up and also rotate clockwise some. I would pull the custom trim off to better see the gap. The cab also looks like it has had cab corner and rocker work as the body line drifts off in the primered area at the back of the door. That can be causing you some issues if the cab sagged some when that was done.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
nsb29

I think Jimmy is correct in his assumption that the door needs to rotate clockwise and up unfortunately it is going to make the gap’s in the lower right portion of the door to open up even further that cab probably wasn’t properly braced when the rocker panels and cab corners were done assuming we are correct going by the pictures and the primer that they were replaced or worked on there could also be issues with body mounts do you know what work has been done to it were any of the floors replaced
Old 05-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
The door needs to come up and also rotate clockwise some. I would pull the custom trim off to better see the gap. The cab also looks like it has had cab corner and rocker work as the body line drifts off in the primered area at the back of the door. That can be causing you some issues if the cab sagged some when that was done.
Jimmy
Jimmy..
It has the original rocker which I'll be replacing. As for the cab corner...yes that has had bad work done on it ( bondo galore) which will be replaced as well.
I can't rotate the door much more. The left side of the door is hitting the pillar near the windshield.
I was trying to get the door somewhat aligned before I replaced the rocker and cab corner..
I guess I should replace before trying to align.
Thankyou for your input.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I think Jimmy is correct in his assumption that the door needs to rotate clockwise and up unfortunately it is going to make the gap’s in the lower right portion of the door to open up even further that cab probably wasn’t properly braced when the rocker panels and cab corners were done assuming we are correct going by the pictures and the primer that they were replaced or worked on there could also be issues with body mounts do you know what work has been done to it were any of the floors replaced
The floors are original bit as mentioned,the rocker is original but looks like it was worked on as well as the cab corner.
I noticed the body bushing on the opposite side (front) is loose...maybe the cab is sagging?
I'm thinking I should replace the rocker and corner before aligning the door...first time at this

Last edited by Rusty one; 05-10-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Add
Old 05-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #9
nsb29

It needs to be rotated clockwise not counterclockwise basically the top needs to be moved to the rear and up with the bottom being moved towards the front in your situation I would replace all four body mounts and make sure your cab is sitting level on the frame your door needs to be on the truck when the rocker panels and cab corners are replaced so everything is aligned at one time so you can make any necessary adjustments you can use sheet metal screws to hold things in place that way you can come back and make necessary changes before welding But first you need your body siting solid on your frame and I even go as far as putting the jackstands under the frame on a level slab it would also be a good idea to replace your core support mount before aligning your front end
Old 05-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #10
PGSigns

Yup get the frame on jack stands and level it up. Get a new set of body bushings and install them. Make sure they are all pulled down the same. Take a good look at the cab supports to make sure they are not sagging. If they are rotted at the rocker the rocker and that side of the floor can sag. If that cab corner was bent up before it was filled up with bondo then that could have the door opening out of square. Right now I think you cab is sagging and the door opening is no longer the shape of the door.
Jimmy
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
Old 05-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #11
Rusty one

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Yup get the frame on jack stands and level it up. Get a new set of body bushings and install them. Make sure they are all pulled down the same. Take a good look at the cab supports to make sure they are not sagging. If they are rotted at the rocker the rocker and that side of the floor can sag. If that cab corner was bent up before it was filled up with bondo then that could have the door opening out of square. Right now I think you cab is sagging and the door opening is no longer the shape of the door.
Jimmy
Jimmy..

One of the cab supports has a small rot hole but ill be replacing it as well as the cab corners, rockers and the bushings. It's supported on jack stands on the rails. The other door I replaced fits without issues.
I'll do the best I can and post progress pics..
Thankyou for your advice