The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
jdodd68

Old body with newer frame and drive train

I was wanting to see if anyone has taken a newer SUV and put a 1960s Suburban body on it. I don't have the truck to do it to but just wanted to see it done. Too have the old look but the feel of a newer vehicle.

Facebook

Last edited by jdodd68; 08-13-2009 at 06:29 PM.
jdodd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Re: Old body with newer frame and drive train

This idea comes up time and time again. I myself used to think it would be the best-of-both-worlds before I learned more. The truth is that these frames didn't change in basic design or suspension technology from 63-87. There is nothing "better" about a newer frame unless yours is rusted out. Sure the very new hydro formed frames are probably lighter and stronger, but not worth the effort IMO (with the exception of the 97+vette frame... ).

The aftermarket for these trucks is so vast that you could upgrade to all aftermarket suspension components if you wanted to and get BETTER performance than new trucks.

The frame itself; if you really want a stiffer frame then box it. One step further would be and X-Member. That's still less work than swapping frames IMO.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
jdodd68

Thanks for the info. I have always loved the older burbs. My family and I love to camp and I have been wanting to buy one to haul a camper. I really would want it to be as reliable as a new truck or as new trucks can be. Thanks for the info. I might just have to go and find me a burb and get started on it. Thanks again.

Facebook
jdodd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
capev86

why bother if it has the independent suspension on the front and trailing arms out back?.....just add the biggest sway bars you can get, good shocks and poly bushings on all joints. i'd only swap sub assemblies and axles if anything.....easier than trying to adapt the frame. the older generations are smaller and the frame rails are closer together. my 72 burb is getting CPP sway bars (front bar has been on for awhile now and i love it) and poly bushings on the trailing arms and track bar. it could use a fresh, modern set of shocks but rides real good for a 37 year old 3/4 ton truck. yeah....new trucks are plush....but they don't really get better gas mileage because of all the sound deadeners, impact bars and other stuff people expect now. i like a relatively smooth, quiet ride. but if i need a truly car-like riding experience....i hop in my car.

a 47-59 burb would be a good choice for an upgrade. but i'd just keep it somewhat vintage by using 60's/70's/80's GM 2wd front end and narrowing the crossmember that everything bolts to. or you could swap it as is and use the rear axle too.....push the wheels out for better handling and more aggressive looks.

Last edited by capev86; 08-14-2009 at 01:16 PM.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
jmmm229

i am in the works of putting my 72 suburban body onto an 04 4wd truck entire chassis. it will get the dash, column, seats, also. looks like it will be some work, but after A LOT of side by side measurements, it looks like as i shorten the truck frame (these old burbs had surprisingly short wheelbases), i can adjust for the 4 inch height difference on the rear kickup, and the front 2 inches can be mostly adjusted for by moving the core support mounts. and since all of the mounts will be moved, the center mounts can be raised an inch or so to meet the body. this swap isnt the easiest, but i am doing it to have all the creature comforts of a new truck, but still look like my old burb. i dont think anyone can argue that leaving all the fuel system, elec system, engine/trans mounts, accessories, steering, driveline, cooling, etc., etc. alone and dropping the old body on is so much more work than adapting all the newer components into the older frame. and the bumpers wont be a problem because im probably going to use roll pans. the $1500 lift for the newer chassis is the only drawback. my brother has an 06 1/2 ton 4wd crew cab with 36" tires and 7" lift, and it rides and handles better than any 4wd suburban ive ever been in. the major undertaking will be the dash assy into the old burb. measurements show about 2 inches too wide, so im going to have to narrow it. debating a firewall transplant...ill start a build thread as soon as the donor vehicle gets here. if anybody else knows someone doing this swap, please let me know.