The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Harleymike

Paint gun for my compressor size

OK, I searched and now I am even more confused.
I have sprayed primer in the past, but want to paint his time too.

I am searching for a gun or gun set to use.
My compressor is 2hp 30 gallon, 6.5 cfm at 40 and 5.5 at 90

I see eastwood has some low cfm guns , are they any good.

I am not painting the entire truck at once. Im painting it in sections. Doors one day, then cab another time, then box later. ETC.

I don't mind spending a little bit of money on a gun, if it makes it easier to paint.

Any help appreciated.

Mike
Harleymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
B. W.

Re: Paint gun for my compressor size

IMO, you need a larger compressor (I know you don't want to hear that!) Get the best gun you can afford, it will make you look like a better painter (I know from experience) I just looked up the CFM on mine, it's needs 15 cfm.

Last edited by B. W.; 10-26-2017 at 10:17 AM.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
Harleymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
IMO, you need a larger compressor (I know you don't want to hear that!) Get the best gun you can afford, it will make you look like a better painter (I know from experience)
This compressor is brand new, and I can't run anything bigger. So that is not an option.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Harleymike

What about this one.

http://www.eastwood.com/iwata-lph300...-cup-3945.html
Old 10-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
B. W.

Yep, you might be able to run that one. at 30 psi, it's near max for your compressor. It looks like the newer guns are using less CFM, I have no experience with them. MartinSR or Hugger are the experts, maybe they'll chime in.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
MikeB

I have an Astro Pneumatic LVLP gun, but even it requires nearly 10 cfm @ 25 psi. Unfortunately your compressor specs are more suitable for intermittent-use air tools like nail guns and impact wrenches, and not higher duty cycle tools like die grinders, orbital sanders, and probably paint guns.

If you do find a gun that you think will work, I suggest trying it out on an old fender or door to see if the compressor will let you spray an entire panel without the gun starting to splatter. Also, I'm thinking you should use the smallest nozzle recommended by the paint manufacturer. To you guys with lots of painting experience: Wouldn't that reduce the required CFM?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
MARTINSR

The absolute lowest VOC gun I know of is a Sharpe Platinum and even that needs 7.5 CFM.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%20SHP2015.htm

I have one for that reason and it is an awesome gun.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleymike View Post
This compressor is brand new, and I can't run anything bigger. So that is not an option.
Well painting a complete may not be an option. The only thing I can think of is to get an old Devilbiss JGA-502 non HVLP gun.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEVILBISS-T...oAAOSwzPFZ4Tvt

These guns are the "Fender Stratacaster" of paint guns, they are damn near sexual to hold.

They don't need the CFM, don't remember what it needs but the non-HVLP guns were a whole different world. I shot MANY cars, enamel, lacquer, bc/cc urethanes, I shot too many gallons of paint to count using a 2 horse 20 gallon compressor I bought in 1977 using one of these guns.

But you DON'T want to be shooting paint with too low a VOC because it won't break up the paint and put it on too wet full of solvents that won't flash off properly and cause all kinds of problems.

If you do use it, you could get by but don't even think about spraying the whole truck at once, one panel at a time is what you will be limited to.

Brian

Old 10-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Harleymike

Only spraying the truck in sections at a time. As i put it back together.
Ill have a look at those. Thanks
Old 10-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
Indian113

Get a GOOD Dryer as the compressor will be working overtime making lots of Heat. If you can find a 50 gal water heater tank they make a good storage area for a small compressor.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The absolute lowest VOC gun I know of is a Sharpe Platinum and even that needs 7.5 CFM.

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...%20SHP2015.htm
Can't find a price on that gun anywhere. The Spray Gun World site is really hard to navigate.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #12
Harleymike

Any thoughts on this one.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-con...inum-case.html
Old 10-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #13
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleymike View Post
I'll be damned 4.5 CFM! I have to say I would love to give that a try, it sure sounds like that may be your out.

Brian

Old 10-27-2017, 11:44 PM   #14
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I'll be damned 4.5 CFM! I have to say I would love to give that a try, it sure sounds like that may be your out.

Brian
Might take a very long time to paint a panel. I'd like to know what the pattern looks like and how big it is.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:35 AM   #15
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Might take a very long time to paint a panel. I'd like to know what the pattern looks like and how big it is.
I don't know Mike, it comes with a 1.3 and 1.7 tips.

Brian

Old 10-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #16
Harleymike

I dont need one right away. I will keep an eye on this Eastwood gun. Hopefully someone puts up a review on it soon.

this one uses 6.5 at 30

http://www.jegs.com/i/Eastwood/352/14776/10002/-1

http://www.eastwood.com/concours-pro...gun-1-3mm.html

Last edited by Harleymike; 10-28-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #17
72HuggerK20

If I was in your situation, I'd try rigging up some sort of holding tank system with an old 50 or 100 gallon propane tank. They're rated for well over 300 psi, so no worries there. You can get by with a lot less compressor when you have a large holding system. At the shop I used to work at, they had two 125 gallon, 10 hp compressors hooked in parallel, one with a slightly lower setting on the pressure switch so it would only kick in when needed. Those both fed into a 500 gallon holding tank. Let's just say if nobody flipped the breaker in the morning to allow the compressors run we'd start to notice air pressure loss at around 10:30. It was impressive.

But as far as I know, even a pre-HVLP SATA jet 90 was like 10 cfm. I don't know what Iwatas run, but I've heard they use less air.

I don't really have a lot of good advice on this one.
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #18
Harleymike

So Im confused. If my current set up is rated at 6.5 cfm at 40 now. If i add another holding tank, say another 30 gallons on top of the 30 i have. Then my cfm rating goes up.
I don't think I'm understanding this very well.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #19
72HuggerK20

No, your CFM rating does not go up, but if the pressure in your tank is say 135 psi, and the pressure at your gun that you are using is only 29 psi, you'll be able to paint for a longer amount of time with more air storage before the tank pressure falls below the pressure needed to spray. If you had 100 gallons of air stored at 135 psi, you could even spray for a couple minutes with no compressor to fill it back up.

So basically it's a band-aid to your small compressor. Your compressor should be able to fill the tanks back up while you wait during flash times, and then you go back in and deplete that supply when you spray.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:46 PM   #20
72HuggerK20

Wait, 6.5 CFM at 40 psi?

Hmmm I'm now clueless. I normally deal with air pressures upwards of 150 psi in the tanks and line and then regulate it at the air drops around the shop...
Old 10-29-2017, 11:46 PM   #21
Harleymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72HuggerK20 View Post
No, your CFM rating does not go up, but if the pressure in your tank is say 135 psi, and the pressure at your gun that you are using is only 29 psi, you'll be able to paint for a longer amount of time with more air storage before the tank pressure falls below the pressure needed to spray. If you had 100 gallons of air stored at 135 psi, you could even spray for a couple minutes with no compressor to fill it back up.

So basically it's a band-aid to your small compressor. Your compressor should be able to fill the tanks back up while you wait during flash times, and then you go back in and deplete that supply when you spray.
ok, thanks.
Im leaning towards the Eastwood pro guns. They run around 6.5 at 30. My compressor is rated at 6.5 at 40. So I should be good. They get excellent reviews also.
I like the added storage idea. I will look into that. I plan on painting in stages, so it won't be an entire truck at once. Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:55 PM   #22
72HuggerK20

One thing about painting in stages, you have to be really careful with your colors. Anything other than solid, dark colors will be more responsive to differences in gun pressure, gun distance, humidity, temperature, etc. Your colors may not match if you do it in stages, even if they came out of the same can of paint. If you're doing a darker, non-metallic color, you'll be fine most likely. Silver on the other hand...
Old 10-29-2017, 11:56 PM   #23
Harleymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72HuggerK20 View Post
One thing about painting in stages, you have to be really careful with your colors. Anything other than solid, dark colors will be more responsive to differences in gun pressure, gun distance, humidity, temperature, etc. Your colors may not match if you do it in stages, even if they came out of the same can of paint. If you're doing a darker, non-metallic color, you'll be fine most likely. Silver on the other hand...
Hmm ok thanks.
Leaning towards red, or teal.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #24
72HuggerK20

Have you picked out a paint system that you'll be using?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #25
Harleymike

NO not really. I keep flip flopping. Im using eastwood epoxy primer and there high build primer.
As for paint. This will be my first attempt at painting. Ive primed and blocked all my previous cars.
I was thinking single stage urethane, but then was looking into BC/CC.
Its a father son project, and not a show truck. I want to keep it simple and user friendly.
Im kinda leaning to the single stage stuff again.
Any suggestions are welcome.