The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
eighteenninetytwo

Front driveline being hit by exhaust headers on bumps or under hard braking.

Obviously this will need to be fixed asap. Maybe this is why the front driveline was disconnected when I got it. i can disconnect the front again but certainly when I lower it and want to be able to use 4WD this become an issue. Is this common in blazers or has someone just put on the wrong headers previously.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
Irish1941

Re: Front driveline being hit by exhaust headers on bumps or under hard braking.

Common? No...esp under braking. You'll see it when off road in the twisty parts but everyday on the street, something is up. I'm thinking cheap headers and y-pipe was re-done and it was done too tight. Factory was to wrap it under the front d-shaft. The bolt-on aftermarket Y-pipes never fit right.
What I have done in the past and about to to do again is run pipe forward and under the oil pan then cross over, over the front drives shaft.
I have an 1" or so right now at ride height but it's really close when in the desert and I'm running 4" lift.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
eighteenninetytwo

Re: Front driveline being hit by exhaust headers on bumps or under hard braking.

the Exhaust is about 1/8 inch off the driveline as it sits so a bad bump or hard braking and it grinds. will need to get this sorted pronto. Muffler shop looking for me (they mentioned "blockhugger" headers as it needs to be clear NOT just now but also when the 4" lift is taken out.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
eighteenninetytwo

Is there a norm or standard that people use as replacement headers in their blazers. any pics from under the block would be good for me to see what others have in place.