The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
J3rm0ff

Re: 72 Swb starting from the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Interesting... is it just for aesthetics? Sorry for the hijack man.
No problem. Like he said when you lower these trucks because of the arc of the trailing arms it moves the wheel forward in the wheel opening. Some people move the whole crossmember back but I chose spacers that way if I need to mill them down more after everything is back together I can do that. Right now they are 3/4” thick.
J3rm0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
J3rm0ff

Got the inside about ready to prime. Going to have to push it outside to sandblast a few tight places. Also bolted up the trailing arms for the time being and thought I was finally going to finish up the air system today but ordered the wrong fitting
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
J3rm0ff

Got the inside of the cab painted and had to throw the turbo back on just for some inspiration
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
KMC3420

Looking good. How close was the low mount AC to the frame?
Old 10-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
Looking good. How close was the low mount AC to the frame?
Thanks. There's a decent amount of clearance all around it. I made my motor mounts and set the motor as low as possible so I think that helped.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
KMC3420

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3rm0ff View Post
Thanks. There's a decent amount of clearance all around it. I made my motor mounts and set the motor as low as possible so I think that helped.
Okay, thanks. I need to go look those motor mounts over again.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
J3rm0ff

Got the frame pushed back over and set back on the quick jacks and started putting the front suspension back together and realized my bag plates that I set up for use with the factory lower control arms aren’t lining up at all with the ridetech control arms. I never paid attention closely before when I had them on. I called up ridetech and ordered their plates and the front shock brackets too.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
J3rm0ff

Got the ridetech upper bag plates in and that solved my issue. Also got the ridetech upper shock brackets and started getting those put on. And finally got to see the brakes all installed!
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
J3rm0ff

For the first time today I got to play with the airlift air management! That was a treat considering it’s been sitting in a box for a year.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2019, 12:19 AM   #10
cornerstone

Cool! Initially I mounted my air manifold on the crossmember just in front of my rear mounted gas tank, but when it came time to route my exhaust pipes over the axle it was clear they needed to occupy the same space. Would you mind posting a picture of the way you mounted yours? What type of controller are you going to use for the air ride?

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Cool! Initially I mounted my air manifold on the crossmember just in front of my rear mounted gas tank, but when it came time to route my exhaust pipes over the axle it was clear they needed to occupy the same space. Would you mind posting a picture of the way you mounted yours? What type of controller are you going to use for the air ride?
I was going to originally put mine in the cab but changed my mind on that. because of the way my exhaust is routed I had room to put it here. if you have normal dual exhaust I'm not sure if this location would work for you. Here's some pictures anyways so you can see how its mounted and the way the exhaust routes.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2019, 12:57 AM   #12
cornerstone

Quote:
I was going to originally put mine in the cab but changed my mind on that. because of the way my exhaust is routed I had room to put it here. if you have normal dual exhaust I'm not sure if this location would work for you. Here's some pictures anyways so you can see how its mounted and the way the exhaust routes.
I do appreciate it.
Brian

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
SCOTI

Cool build. Tagging in to watch the updates.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
layinrocker65

Brakes look awesome. What did you end up doing with them as far as rotors and hubs? I have the same spindles on my truck and those calipers on the shelf for future use.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #15
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by layinrocker65 View Post
Brakes look awesome. What did you end up doing with them as far as rotors and hubs? I have the same spindles on my truck and those calipers on the shelf for future use.
Those are factory camaro ss rotors I got with the calipers. I’m going to be buying new rotors but not sure if I want to redrill the rotors or the hubs. Jeep srt8 rotors are 5x5 and similar thickness which would also be a good choice but I think the offset of the rotor was less so it would push the caliper further into the face of the wheel.

For the hubs I used factory c10 rotors and machine off the rotor part and then turned down the OD to fit into the rotor.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #16
J3rm0ff

Just got back from a week in Vegas at sema. It’s a love hate week. Love all the ideas but hate that all these ideas will cost more money

I’m not good and snapping pictures but here’s a few I got.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
J3rm0ff

Got the engine and trans set into the frame mainly to get them out of the way but it does look good in there
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #18
J3rm0ff

Haven’t accomplished a lot lately. I did get most of the brake lines ran. And after trying to attack in a couple different ways I got the bulkhead in for the heater and ac lines. Will have to do some reconstruction of that area but I was planning on sealing off the fresh air vents anyways. And I lucked out and got a 3D printer for Christmas so I’ve been playing with that a lot.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2020, 07:48 PM   #19
J3rm0ff

Got the bulkhead area all patched and painted and got the skin welded back. Really happy with how this turned out.
Attached Images

Last edited by J3rm0ff; 01-10-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #20
69GMC2004

Quote:
Got the bulkhead area all patched and painted and got the skin welded back. Really happy with how this turned out.
That looks awesome. I'm wondering though, have you test fitted the hoses on the inside yet to see how much room you have to tighten the fittings?
69GMC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #21
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMC2004 View Post
That looks awesome. I'm wondering though, have you test fitted the hoses on the inside yet to see how much room you have to tighten the fittings?
I did test fit all fittings and was able to get to everything. it is snug in there but it will work. I was considering making an access panel for the side to easily access everything with the fender off and then make a gasket to seal it back up after everything is done.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
I did test fit all fittings and was able to get to everything. it is snug in there but it will work. I was considering making an access panel for the side to easily access everything with the fender off and then make a gasket to seal it back up after everything is done.
My opinion? Go ahead & do it now before assembly & paint. If/when a service issue comes up later, you'll be much happier you did.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #23
J3rm0ff

Quote:
I think every guy who is wanting the super clean firewall look wants to do this mod, me included. Initially I shied away because I just couldn't visualize how the hose routing would snake around to the back of the evaporator in the cab. I get pretty hung up unless I can visualize things. Thank you for these pictures and links to the other fittings and things needed to finish the job...
I would love to see the rest of the installation. I already have smoothed my firewall using the Vintage Air plate that comes with the pre-drilled holes, but I'd gladly re-work my firewall if I had the confidence of knowing how to do what you are doing. Plus I'd have the added benefit of getting a clean coat of paint inside my cowl.
Really love to see such high quality work like this! It makes me strive to do a better job.

Brian
I should also mention that I used the universal style vintage air system because it has all of the connections coming off to the side. It is a straight shot from where fittings come into the cab to the connections so it should be super simple. I’m not sure if the c10 specific unit would work out the same way or not. I had this idea in my head for a long time because like you say I want the firewall as clean as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
My opinion? Go ahead & do it now before assembly & paint. If/when a service issue comes up later, you'll be much happier you did.
Yea thinking more I added that to my list to make that access hole and cover.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #24
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

This is where I want to run my ac/heater hoses. What bulkhead adapter did you use? Looks great.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #25
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
This is where I want to run my ac/heater hoses. What bulkhead adapter did you use? Looks great.
Thanks it was a little extra work but I think it’ll be well worth it in the end. It is the vintage air bulkhead. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-386600-mba/