The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #51
1966bmx

Re: Vintage air in the 73-87 trucks questions

i am very interested in the kit for my 77 cheyenne ..
1966bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #52
boatpuller

mine wasn't too bad too install..the thing i had going for me was my cab was gutted and nothing was in the way.plus,it was a project not a daily driver.so,i could just walk away.i went ahead and dynamatted the heck out of it at the same time i was in there......hang in there jonboy you'll get it.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #53
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthaMan View Post
The install wasn't going good last night? Don't scare me like that! I just pulled the trigger about ten minutes ago!
Do it! (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veinbar View Post
I hope the install is going better today. What was the total that you spent on the 73-80 system including shipping/handling? I am working this into my budget. Also, if you run into any snags along the way, please let us know.
I think the kit retails for around $1300. I got a little bit of a brother in law deal since they used my truck to develop it. Since you are so close, I would highly recommend trying to go down there one day and pick up a kit. Everyone there is really good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
mine wasn't too bad too install..the thing i had going for me was my cab was gutted and nothing was in the way.plus,it was a project not a daily driver.so,i could just walk away.i went ahead and dynamatted the heck out of it at the same time i was in there......hang in there jonboy you'll get it.
Vintage Air used my truck for their prototype, so they actually installed the unit (and did a beautiful job, too). I brought it home last night from San Antonio, after spending the weekend there. When we got home, the main A/C unit in the house had gone out (it's actually still out and 90* in here.....). I did come home early from work, and snapped a couple of pictures. I still have a few loose ends to tie up from my engine swap, but I snapped a few pics this afternoon. My initial impressions are that it moves a lot more air than the original setup. The control head looks like it belongs there, and it smooths the firewall by getting rid of the evaporator box.

I have only puttered around my neighborhood so far. I think the gas has gone bad in the truck, and I do need to get another chip burned for it. No big deal, just need to find the time. I'm really just glad to have it back home. Anyhow, here are a few pics. If anyone wants any specific pics, let me know.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #54
Greenlee

Looks good Jonboy! Where did you mount the computer for your TBI? I understand the Vintage Air interferes with the stock computer location. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Do it! (see below)

I think the kit retails for around $1300. I got a little bit of a brother in law deal since they used my truck to develop it. Since you are so close, I would highly recommend trying to go down there one day and pick up a kit. Everyone there is really good people.

Vintage Air used my truck for their prototype, so they actually installed the unit (and did a beautiful job, too). I brought it home last night from San Antonio, after spending the weekend there. When we got home, the main A/C unit in the house had gone out (it's actually still out and 90* in here.....). I did come home early from work, and snapped a couple of pictures. I still have a few loose ends to tie up from my engine swap, but I snapped a few pics this afternoon. My initial impressions are that it moves a lot more air than the original setup. The control head looks like it belongs there, and it smooths the firewall by getting rid of the evaporator box.

I have only puttered around my neighborhood so far. I think the gas has gone bad in the truck, and I do need to get another chip burned for it. No big deal, just need to find the time. I'm really just glad to have it back home. Anyhow, here are a few pics. If anyone wants any specific pics, let me know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #55
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Looks good Jonboy! Where did you mount the computer for your TBI? I understand the Vintage Air interferes with the stock computer location. Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device
I used a www.fuelinjectionconnection.com harness. It has enough length to put the computer under the seat. The ESC module is next to it, and the ALDL is under the seat as well (but mounted to where it is easy to access.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #56
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Wow, Jonboy, I really failed om this one. I got my truck back a month before you, and still haven't posted pics. Now I guess I don't need to!

I took about two dozen pics of mine several weeks ago, but never got around to cropping and resizing them. Everything under the hood looks the same, and the controller looks the same except I have the '86 Silverado bezel.

Slonaker
Old 07-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #57
boatpuller

that looks nice jonboy.i betcha your liking the cool air.
i need to find out if i can retro fit that controller...do you have a name for a knowledgble guy there at vintage air to talk too?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #58
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I dealt with the guys in R&D, but I bet the tech line guys could tell you what you would need to make it work. 1-800-862-6658 or tech@vintageair.com. I do know that the unit is the same in pretty much all of their kits, but the ECU and control panels are different per application. I don't know if the ECU would control an older box or not.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #59
tucsonjwt

That heater control is much better than the stock one. The stock one has the small vertical lever for the fan control which is difficult to operate when you have big guy clumsy fingers like me - it is right up against the left side recess of the control - very ergonomically incorrect.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #60
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The nice things about the new controls is that they are really light to the touch. They are all electrically operated, so there are no cables to bind.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #61
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
that looks nice jonboy.i betcha your liking the cool air.
i need to find out if i can retro fit that controller...do you have a name for a knowledgble guy there at vintage air to talk too?
I'm 99% sure you can't use the new controller. The Gen IV evaporator shares nothing with the unit you have, AFAIK. Yours does not even have an ECU like the new ones. You can confirm that with their tech guy, Mark (Coolair here on the board), or talk to Art in Sales. Both of them know the systems inside and out, and are very good guys to deal with.

Patrick
Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #62
SBTork
Garage wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
Wow, Jonboy, I really failed om this one. I got my truck back a month before you, and still haven't posted pics. Now I guess I don't need to!

I took about two dozen pics of mine several weeks ago, but never got around to cropping and resizing them. Everything under the hood looks the same, and the controller looks the same except I have the '86 Silverado bezel.

Slonaker
I'd still like to see your pictures if you get a chance to post them. More the better.

Also, thanks a TON Jonboy. Your pictures and descriptions really helped me make a decision to purchase this kit. Thanks for taking the time.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #63
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTork View Post
I'd still like to see your pictures if you get a chance to post them. More the better.
I would too. Don't be holdin' out on a brutha, Slonaker!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #64
88Jimmy4x4

Thanks for the pics Jonboy, I really want this setup now for my 76.

Does anyone have a part number for the 73-80 kits so I make sure I am ordering the correct new version?

I looked here but this hasnt been updated

http://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #65
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 View Post
Does anyone have a part number for the 73-80 kits so I make sure I am ordering the correct new version?

I looked here but this hasnt been updated

http://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/
I ordered from this site. The kits are built to order.

On this page:

http://www.vintageautoairconditionin...7-84chevytruck

on the sidebar on the right, there are various links including two links for 73-80. One with factory air, one without. When you select the appropriate link, it will take you to a page to select options for the new Gen IV kit for 73-80 models.

I ordered my kit from them on Monday and it arrived yesterday (friday).
Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #66
88Jimmy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthaMan View Post
I ordered from this site. The kits are built to order.

On this page:

http://www.vintageautoairconditionin...7-84chevytruck

on the sidebar on the right, there are various links including two links for 73-80. One with factory air, one without. When you select the appropriate link, it will take you to a page to select options for the new Gen IV kit for 73-80 models.

I ordered my kit from them on Monday and it arrived yesterday (friday).
great...it says item # 944175 and $1199, I thought they cost more
Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 AM   #67
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Anyone know if this DAKOTA DIGITAL CLIMATE CONTROL will work with the new GenIV system?
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:04 AM   #68
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

Heater hoses???? Maybe I misunderstood. I was under the impression that the heater would be totally electric so that you would not need the heater hoses...?

Looks sweet either way I way I was just hoping I could clean up my firewall just a little more. Thanks for the feedback on the kit! Congrats!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #69
88Jimmy4x4

BruthaMan....would you mind opening up your kit and posting a pic of what all you get?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #70
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Do it! (see below)

Was your truck a non a/c truck to start with? Can't tell bye looking at your firewall picture.

Looks great bye the way...

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #71
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Quote:
BruthaMan....would you mind opening up your kit and posting a pic of what all you get?
Will do. Plan on taking some additional pics to show the install. It may be a day or so, as it came in two big boxes and one smaller box. Just opened one of the big boxes and it had more smaller boxes packed inside. We're finishing up the engine build today (see my build thread) and will hopefully start the VA install Monday or Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN View Post
Anyone know if this DAKOTA DIGITAL CLIMATE CONTROL will work with the new GenIV system?
I don't know today, but I will know tomorrow. Plan on calling them in the morning. That's a sweet control unit and if it will work with the Gen IV, it's going in my truck!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #72
88Jimmy4x4

Thanks BruthaMan, Im doing a new engine too and mine is currently out, thats one reason why I want to do this asap since I have room to work while its empty
Old 07-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #73
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

So all the kits still require heater hoses?

Can u get a polished condensor?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #74
88Jimmy4x4

so does this still blow out of ALL of the factory vents?

Jonboy...any pics showing the under dash unit?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #75
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
so does this still blow out of ALL of the factory vents?

Jonboy...any pics showing the under dash unit?
It does blow out all of the factory vents (locations). It blows really cold, too. I drove it to work this morning to get a state inspection, so I will get a pic of the box under the dash. It really doesn't look much different than the stock one, until you look underneath. The box is a little bigger, but the kit comes with a part to take out a little of the inside of the glove box.

Last edited by Jonboy; 07-18-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: I can't type
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote