The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #26
87Flh

Re: Rally Wheel Paint

Rustoleum chrome paint
Attached Images

87Flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #27
blindbug

Re: Rally Wheel Paint

Duplicolor HPW101 Silver works great. Get (2) cans of primer, (2) cans of the base silver, and (1) or (2) cans of gloss clear coat. The rear of the wheel should be black. The 'base' of the center cap is supposed to be the same silver as the wheel, though I actually polished the whole center cap when I did mine. I used Duplicolor wheel paint (which should stand up to the chemicals a little better).

The steps I used:
  1. Cleaned the wheels with a pressure washer and some degreaser.
  2. Removed the wheel weights and sanded with 220 grit sandpaper with particular focus on rust spots and pitted areas. I sanded until I could close my eyes and run my hand across it without feeling any transition.
  3. Cleaned the wheel with mineral spirits and sanded again, making sure it was smooth. It's ok if you reach bare metal.
  4. Cleaned the wheels and the tires with mineral spirits and masked the wheel from the tire.
  5. Cleaned the wheel one last time with a tack cloth and mineral spirits.
  6. 2 light, and then 1 medium coat of wheel primer, allowing 10 minutes between each coat
  7. 15 minutes after the primer, 3 light coats then 1 medium coat of base color with 10 minutes between each coat.
  8. 15 minutes after the base, 2 light coats then 1 medium coat of gloss coat with 10 minutes between each coat.
  9. Waited a day or 2 before crying while putting on the beauty rings, which scratch up all your had work.

blindbug is offline   Reply With Quote