The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
JoeKan

Help with a IH Travelall

My 68 Travelall is bouncing over the road whenever I hit a small bump. And, to keep it straight on the road I'm always having to steer to the right and left. I'm thinking I'm needing new shocks, they're probably the original but not sure what else I need for a smoother, straight drive. Can someone guide me to what needs done with my ol ride? Also any recommendation on what shocks to get.
Thanks for any help,
Joe
Attached Images

JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:03 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Help with a IH Travelall

Check your shocks and the whole steering system see whats wore out and replace it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:20 AM   #3
kipps

Agree with Andrew. Don't worry about upgrading anything until you've replaced any worn parts and can see how it drives stock.

You mentioned shocks. Replace them. Get someone else to steer while you watch for play in the steering system. Do the rag joints and u-joints have slop in them? Is there obvious play between the input shaft and the output shaft of the steering gear? Is the pitman arm loose on the shaft? Are the tie rod ends worn out?

Jack up the vehicle and check for wear in the ball joints and wheel bearings. Are the leaf spring bushings worn out, and allowing the springs to float around on the chassis? Are the front tires a matched set? Is the tire pressure equal side-to-side?

Fix the worst offenders first. Then move on to the lesser problems. Only once the steering/suspension is in tip-top shape, should you even consider modifying the design.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:22 AM   #4
andrewmp6

With its age its hard to say whats wore out and whats not,And it can be anything from the steering box to tie rod ends.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote