The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Another Newb/ Couple Teasers/ Need some help

Hey guys,

been around the site a little while, but now officially a member in my book...I grew up around the 60-66 Chevys, since they were my dad's favorites...having such sentiment, I've been longing to find one, & I recently picked up this '66 C-10 BBW short bed fleetside. I was gonna wait until I got my starter fixed & back it out to take some good pics...however, I thought i'd throw in a couple teaser pics until i can get it out of the garage. Aside from the normal lower front fenders & one door having rust, this things pretty solid...PO said he found it in North AL....I need some help with ID'ing this thing though...when I look at the VIN on the door jamb, it shows GMC....but if you look at the kick plate, there's nothing GMC on it....and the truck is registered as a '66 Chevy...the PO went through the process of getting the truck its first title...it has all of the custom trim of a '66 Chevy. It also has the '66 steering wheel with horn ring. However, it has '65 emblems. It had a 283 w/ 2 spd. Powerglide when PO purchased it...Powerglide was rebuilt not long ago, however the PO replaced the worn 283 with a '66 327...btw, i'm getting the "original" 283 as well....i'll get more pics in the near future, & I'll be looking to this site for help in building....on to the pics, & let me know what you think about the VIN tags....thanks & enjoy

Last edited by likaroc13; 07-27-2009 at 12:58 AM.
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Another Newb/ Couple Teasers/ Need some help

things to check for..was it 2 cabs welded together?
the vin is in the right spot for a 64 gmc
but that is definately a chevy cowl/dash.
from the pic it looks as if the gmc vin was left spotted to its original metal... but that i was cut out about 1/4 inch around the tag, and then spotted/glued to your cab.
the correct spot for a 66 chev vin is right abovr the driver door, there should be 2 holes where the rivets used to be..

also check the driver frame rail by the control arm for the original vin.

that all said if it is titled in your name , and there is no state inspection, I would leave well enough alone with it...try to keep whatever records the previous owner had.
he very well could have had a junk gmc, and a good chev cab, and had gone through all the legal chanels to do the switch.

I have a thread titles "where is my 60-66 chev/gmc vin' check it out for locations and more info...
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

hmmm...got me wondering...but I was thinking maybe a good GMC cab, considering everything else visually matches to a '66 Chevy (aside from emblems)...but maybe it could've been missing a VIN tag & a GMC one was put in place....i have no idea...but I will check the frame & see what it shows...thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Byronic
The Beach Cruiser

Nice truck. What are your plans for the 283? I'm looking for a V8 down the line for my panel. We are not to far apart as I'm in Panama City. I'm hoping to make a trip your way to look at junk yards.
1967 Schwinn Tandem Single Speed
Byronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronic View Post
Nice truck. What are your plans for the 283? I'm looking for a V8 down the line for my panel. We are not to far apart as I'm in Panama City. I'm hoping to make a trip your way to look at junk yards.

thanks...not 100% sure on the 283 just yet
Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have to agree with Jon.....but I'm not sure what to think about the area around the VIN tag.....does look a little funny.

Nice looking truck you found!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
things to check for..was it 2 cabs welded together?
the vin is in the right spot for a 64 gmc
but that is definately a chevy cowl/dash.
from the pic it looks as if the gmc vin was left spotted to its original metal... but that i was cut out about 1/4 inch around the tag, and then spotted/glued to your cab.
the correct spot for a 66 chev vin is right abovr the driver door, there should be 2 holes where the rivets used to be..

also check the driver frame rail by the control arm for the original vin.

that all said if it is titled in your name , and there is no state inspection, I would leave well enough alone with it...try to keep whatever records the previous owner had.
he very well could have had a junk gmc, and a good chev cab, and had gone through all the legal chanels to do the switch.

I have a thread titles "where is my 60-66 chev/gmc vin' check it out for locations and more info...
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 07-28-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

well, the frame shows: 6A116356

and upon looking at the door jamb VIN some more, i'm thinking that area around the GMC plate is possibly where a previous plate was...but i don't know...the corners are more square in shape, as you see in the pics