The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
romarti0825

Still need help with Blazer rear seat.

As I'm putting my Blazer back together, I can't figure out how the rear seat bolts to the bed. The previous owner had mickey moused the old seat that use to be in the Blazer and tack welded the housings for the bolts. I bought the proper brackets for the seat that I have for it. The questions I have are as follows:

1) The Blazer I own is a 1970. I'm pretty sure the seat I have for it came out of a 71 or a 72. Was there a difference in the seat from 70, 71 or 72? Are they interchangeable?

2) Does any body have a picture of the bed floor of a 70 Blazer as to where the holes should be?

3) What size bolt do I need to use to bolt the seat to the floor?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
teamradrz1

Re: Still need help with Blazer rear seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romarti0825 View Post
As I'm putting my Blazer back together, I can't figure out how the rear seat bolts to the bed. The previous owner had mickey moused the old seat that use to be in the Blazer and tack welded the housings for the bolts. I bought the proper brackets for the seat that I have for it. The questions I have are as follows:

1) The Blazer I own is a 1970. I'm pretty sure the seat I have for it came out of a 71 or a 72. Was there a difference in the seat from 70, 71 or 72? Are they interchangeable?

2) Does any body have a picture of the bed floor of a 70 Blazer as to where the holes should be?

1. As far as mounting they should all be the same. Differences would be in seat covers.

2. not handy but I can get one tomorrow if no one else throws one up for you.

3. I know the bolt head is 3/4"
teamradrz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
woodymm3

there should be four bolt holes in the back probably mid wheel house area and then two holes in the front for the hold down brackets. If you have a 73-78 seat the seat will not fit correctly even though it looks like a 69-72 the brackets arent the same, it only has two in the back and two in the front.

take a picture of your seat and it will help. i can get you some bed pics when i get home this afternoon.
woodymm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
romarti0825

Unhappy Re: Still need help with Blazer rear seat.

So, I ripped the old carpet out to look for the four bolt holes and what did I find????? Absolutely nothing! No holes or anything! I don't know what to do now. Both my kids want to go for rides and it really sucks not to be able to take them.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
woodymm3

ok well i have heard of the blazers coming without a rear seat but i think that was pretty rare. Do you have the original spid handy? Maybe you could post that and we could tell you whether or not there was a back seat. Also there are other options. you can always drill holes in the bed at the right spots and make your own hold downs. Or you could make a bracket that sits in the spot for rear seats to bolt into. There are tons of options for getting a rear seat in your rig, you just have to decide a few things...
1. Do i want to drill holes in an original no rear seat blazer?(not recomended)
2. Do i want to fabricate a bracket for my seat?(recommended)
3. What is my price range, and can i afford to do what i want to do?
4. What is going to be best for the long term?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
woodymm3

also pictures say a thousand words. When i get home tonight i will see if i have some pictures of a bed of a blazer that has bolt downs so you know what you are lookinfor.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
JimmyFloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymm3 View Post
ok well i have heard of the blazers coming without a rear seat but i think that was pretty rare. Do you have the original spid handy? Maybe you could post that and we could tell you whether or not there was a back seat. Also there are other options. you can always drill holes in the bed at the right spots and make your own hold downs. Or you could make a bracket that sits in the spot for rear seats to bolt into. There are tons of options for getting a rear seat in your rig, you just have to decide a few things...
1. Do i want to drill holes in an original no rear seat blazer?(not recomended)
2. Do i want to fabricate a bracket for my seat?(recommended)
3. What is my price range, and can i afford to do what i want to do?
4. What is going to be best for the long term?
My blazer never came with a rear seat from the factory. I am going to have to figure out if I want to add one, and if so, how I will be doing it.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
70rs/ss

I thought they came with the holes no matter what, but a no rear seat option was sort of common, typically was coupled w/utility buckets as well. If you want to add the seat, it is just a matter of putting it where you want it and drilling holes. I nut welded to a piece of plate tacked in from the bottom and the seat is secured. Picts do say a thousand words, post some of the rear w/no carpet
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
romarti0825

They guy who had it before be, tack welded some nuts in but had his seat held in on a piece of diamond plate. It was ugly. I think mine was probably a no rear seat Blazer. I will take some pictures of what I got and tell me what you think. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
JWPOORE

I have a 70 Blazer that originally came with utility buckets and no rear seat. I too also have no bolt holes to mount to, so I guess I'll just have to drill some holes so I can mount the seat I bought in.

I had bought a few of these packages awhile back to use underneath the bed as a simple way to drill a hole and mount the bolt into the threaded anchor bracket from underneath. They are made as a reinforcement for seatbelts, but I figured it should work for this as well.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...so?itemid=sbhp
JWPOORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Raider Rudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by romarti0825 View Post

Are you kidding me!
Raider Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
capev86

i want to add a 3rd seat to my 72 burb w/ factory full width 6 row seating. my dad put a same era blazer seat in the back of his 72 burb years ago. it was all white whereas the truck had the full 2 rows w/ white vinyl w/ blue&black cloth panels but the scroll pattern made it blend in better.

i am thinking about adapting an 80's suburban rear seat so i can have the quick removal option (my dad used special piggy back bolts on his truck). would have to cut the brackets out of a donor truck and find a way to bolt them down securely to the wood floor. you blazer guys would have to weld them into your truck but it would look factory if done right because the later burbs have the same patterned floor as the 69-72 blazer.

lmc truck sells the matching upholstery for my burb for a 3rd row seat and i the two generations have an almost identically shape seat. only difference is the quick release and side lever on the newer style seat and the armrests don't have full hoops supporting them. a little paint and the upholstery swap by a competent shop and it would be soooo sweet. some day i want to adapt the middle row to a 60/40 split fold seat too, but find some way to make the upholstery look good.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
capev86

what i mean by "piggy back" bolts is that one bolt is attached to the floor and a smaller bolt threads into it so you can remove it without climbing under the truck to loosen a nut. if you guys use use regular bolts to mount your seats....go with a stainless bolt with galvanized nut so they won't rust or gall together. my dad had trouble removing the original bolt holding in the driver seat belt buckle.....corrosion is annoying!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:12 AM   #14
vtblazer

I believe all blazers were made with captive seat bolts under the bed, regardless of the options it had.

Will have either 2 or 4 brackets to bolt through in the rear and you'll need the two brackets that clip over the seat front feet to secure it to the floor in the front.
Attached Images

vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
romarti0825

I got the correct brackets for the front of the seat. The problem I'm having is there are no captive seat bolts under the seat.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:52 AM   #16
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
I believe all blazers were made with captive seat bolts under the bed, regardless of the options it had.

Some blazers left the factory without rear seats or even provisions for mounting them, a buddy of mine just got done adding this stuff to the rear floor/bed pan of his factory 2wd blazer that never had a rear seat from day one.
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
argonaut

I think the best thing to do is wait a couple weeks for me to drive my Blazer down. Then we can park side by side and get the seat location correct. Then pull the fuel tank, drill the holes and get some nuts welded to the underside of the body.
I'd be willing to do that if you can find me another set of front brackets

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #18
romarti0825

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
I think the best thing to do is wait a couple weeks for me to drive my Blazer down. Then we can park side by side and get the seat location correct. Then pull the fuel tank, drill the holes and get some nuts welded to the underside of the body.
I'd be willing to do that if you can find me another set of front brackets
Hey, you're alright!!!! I'll see if I can find you some brackets.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #19
drdata

Hey all, I have a similar issue and was hoping I could get a confirm as to where the factory rear seat bolt holes should be?

I have a new to me 72 with non-original seats. The PO placed the rear bench way back to provide leg room. I assumed I would see the original captive nuts or at least bolts holes, but after much inspection I am beginning to believe perhaps this was a no-rear seat from the factory truck.

I know I can just drill new holes wherever it suits me, but was hoping someone may have pics or measurements for the factory location as a starting point.

Thanks in advance.
drdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #20
argonaut

I just measured 31.5" from the back end of the bed to the Centerline of the rear row of bolts.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
r1lorenzini

I have the mounting bracket for the rear seat I bought it and didnt use it. I am in san francisco. let me know.
r1lorenzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
drdata

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
I just measured 31.5" from the back end of the bed to the Centerline of the rear row of bolts.
Thanks much!
drdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #23
blazinokra

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1lorenzini View Post
I have the mounting bracket for the rear seat I bought it and didnt use it. I am in san francisco. let me know.
I could use the back seat mounting bracket I am in WA
Let me know if you still have it.
blazinokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #24
hotrodhomi

If you are welding in brackets you should consider upgrading to a fold down removable seat from a suburban. I had to use my blazer to pick up a patio set from costco the other day and my truck is still waiting on parts to be mobile again. The removable seat made everything easy.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote