The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
Tony

4x4 axle alighnment

My 68 K10 short bed drifts to the right ....The front end alignment is as it should be, all the parts are in good shape.
I'm putting in new bed wood any while the bed floor is out I measured the rear axle location off the spring hangers it was off nearly a half inch. After loosening the u bolts it was obvious they were loose in the past and the center bolt fretted out the locating hole. So the axle is now where it belongs.
I moved to the front, same thing the front axle was off about the same in a direction that would cause a drift to the right.
While measuring off the front spring hanger I see the center bolts vary by half an inch on left and right sides. The springs appear to be original unique type taper two leaf type...The spring bushings aren't distorted or broken...
Using the rear axle as a reference I enlarged the axle center bolt holes and shifted the front axle into position...
The frame has a two decent looking crack repairs done in the past but shows no accident damage.
Measuring diagonal across the frame in several places shows it's not jacked out of shape....
On the front springs, they are identical left and right, yes?
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: 4x4 axle alighnment

Did you check to see if the frame itself was square first? Sounds like it got racked on one side
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #3
swamp rat

Springs are identical on front as well as the pair on back

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
hamjet

Try rotating tires from front to rear and see if it still drifts. could just be tire wear doing it...
Old 11-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Did you check to see if the frame itself was square first? Sounds like it got racked on one side
I mentioned checking the frame on a diagonal , from the cab back and it was perfect.
The spring spring hangers are where they belong by measuring off the now straight rear axle as a reference. And it seems to boil down to one front spring having a different center bolt location than the other side.The design of the spring eyes means they can't be installed wrong. And the spring bushings are good and nothing is bent or broken...
I'm going to measure everything again today just to be sure...
Old 11-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like a good mystery. I'mm curious to see what you find. I just changed the springs on the front of my '72. I'll measure the originals I took off. I am pretty certain they will be the same. Why wouldn't they be? And, I have replaced many springs on these trucks and if they vary, I never paid any attention or saw any issues

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
Tony

I measured both front springs several times with the truck sitting level on axle stands...Right front spring center bolt is 22 inches from either spring eye... The left front spring center bolt is 21-1/2 from the front and 22-1/2 from the rear...very slight steer to the right...
It is what it is....I just adjusted the axle and call it good.
The front and rear spring hangers are true to the frame..