The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #1876
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Nice work Vic...when are you going to chrome with it...
The chrome shop I plan to use is Sioux Plating in Sioux City, NE. I'm going to take the parts there and then go get them when they're done. That being the case, I'd like to go ahead and narrow the rear bumper so I can take both pieces at the same time. I figure a couple of weeks or so to get the front and the rear ready. I took the day off today to go to Sedalia so my dad could visit friends and family. Plus, his little dog needed his booster shots so we went to the vet he sees there in town. Back in the saddle tomorrow.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #1877
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
The chrome shop I plan to use is Sioux Plating in Sioux City, NE. I'm going to take the parts there and then go get them when they're done. That being the case, I'd like to go ahead and narrow the rear bumper so I can take both pieces at the same time. I figure a couple of weeks or so to get the front and the rear ready. I took the day off today to go to Sedalia so my dad could visit friends and family. Plus, his little dog needed his booster shots so we went to the vet he sees there in town. Back in the saddle tomorrow.
Ok... I thought you were using a place there in KC...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #1878
Vic1947

Quote:
Ok... I thought you were using a place there in KC...
At the rate I'm going, Dan, I won't be using anyone for chrome. I haven't been posting much because this has turned into more of a bucket of worms than I'd planned. Chip asked about how much the bumper bolt welding had sucked in, and I said none. Should've said "none so far". After taking the day off on Wednesday, I jumped back on the welding Thursday and flat went too fast. By the time I finished, there were peaks and valleys all over. Before I started this, I researched the cost and availability of silicon bronze wire for the MIG. I probably should have gone that route since I had a lot of weld to lay down. The TIG is just too hot unless you do little bitty stretches and let the material cool thoroughly. I have no one to blame since I know better.

Upshot of all this is that I've spent a bunch of time with the press and hammer and dolly. It's fairly straight but will never be good enough for chrome. I'm now deciding whether to use chrome wrap, hydro-graphics or a high end spray chrome like Spectra Chrome. All of these approaches will allow me to use filler and primer to repair the ugliness.

Meanwhile, the hits just kept coming. After a crap ton of dolly work, grinding and filing, the bumper no longer fit the valance correctly. The first problem was that the ends had moved forward to the point where it was worse than when I started. So I pie cut the center of the top and pulled the ends together to give it more peak. This worked great, but the next issue was that the ends had also lifted up, so the center of the bumper was flat against the valance and the ends were about 5/8" up on each side. You can see in the last photo in this sequence that the center of the bumper is drooping and doesn't follow the grille line above it.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #1879
Vic1947

To correct this, I pie cut the license plate mounting area and again used the come along to draw the gap together. I've got it tacked and it's pretty close but I may widen the slice a little more tomorrow and draw it a tiny bit more. The vertical gap measures 3/8" in the middle and 1/2" at the ends. At this point, might as well make it as close as possible. However, it's time to go watch the Chiefs/Steelers pregame.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #1880
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Man that is tough... If you get it straight to the body the Chrome shop "should" be able to make it straight for plating... he'll they strighted wadded up bumpers all the time...

I know I am opposite of most people but Go Steelers!!!... I have been a Steeler fan for 45 years...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

Old 01-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #1881
swamp rat

Ya know I think 75% of us would say its perfect... I'm with Elliot on the chrome shop being able to fill the voids to make it straight, I think I'd as least show them and get there opinion, of course I know about 20% of what you know...

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #1882
Low Elco

If nothing else, there's a pretty good spray chrome place in Wichita. Sorry about the hassle.

Alternative Chrome Creations, in Haysville.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #1883
Low Elco

Sorry about the hassle! There's a spray chrome place in Wichita.

Alternative Chrome Creations, in Haysville. 316-680-1209
Old 01-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #1884
Vic1947

Quote:
Man that is tough... If you get it straight to the body the Chrome shop "should" be able to make it straight for plating... they straighten wadded up bumpers all the time...
My worry is that any additional tweaking they do to get it straight might move it enough it wouldn't line up later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Ya know I think 75% of us would say its perfect... I'm with Elliot on the chrome shop being able to fill the voids to make it straight, I think I'd as least show them and get there opinion...
I think my best bet may be to get it as good as I can, then make the decision. Right now things are a bit outta control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
If nothing else, there's a pretty good spray chrome place in Wichita. Sorry about the hassle.

Alternative Chrome Creations, in Haysville.
Thanks, Chip. I used to have some info on a guy in Harrisonville that did the spray chrome also, but must have lost it. That's what happens when you're afflicted with part-timers disease... only remember stuff part of the time.

This morning I squeezed the center gap together a bit more and was satisfied with the result, so I lopped one end off the bumper and began the trial fitting. Mocked up, the end looked like a little more than 2" would tuck it in around where I wanted. Laid out a cut line on the bumper and removed the section and put everything back together. Then it was time to slice open the fender to get the end piece lined up correctly. I marked where the end of the bumper rested and moved back about 3/4" and marked another line. The forward line was just a guess as to how big a chunk I needed to cut out. Some of this material may get patched back in later on or I may have to make an entirely new filler piece.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #1885
Vic1947

So the opening looks really ugly right now. I ended up cutting more than I planned because there were a couple of places that kept interfering. I'm now faced with a decision. If I raise the end of the bumper to make it more or less line up with the fender line, the end is at more of an angle than I may be able to correct with the hammer and dolly. On the other hand, if I square up the cuts in the bumper, it looks correct except where it meets the fender on the side. There may be some additional pie cuts to the end piece in the future.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #1886
Xeen

This is an ambitious modification and I am enjoying watching you work. I know you are having some trouble with it but keep going you got this! On the matter of chrome, well you don't necessarily have to chrome the bumper you can paint both the front and rear bumper instead and it would look good especially after the mods to make it conform to body lines.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #1887
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Uhhhh... too late! Found too much rot causing the fenders to droop and generally creating an unsafe condition. As you can see, I have progressed beyond just minor stuff. Not to worry though, it will be thrashed on the street as I have no plans to pretty it up.

Rear tires are P275/50R15's on 8" rims (I think). They're worn out so I'll know the exact width and offset when I get the tires dismounted.
Hey Vic... I have a real nice 67 small window Cab... pretty much just needs inner/outer rockers and cab corners and a bullet hole in the back of the cab... all real easy fixes... All the cowl area, Drip rails and window areas are perfect... if interested call me...
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #1888
Vic1947

Quote:
Hey Vic... I have a real nice 67 small window Cab... pretty much just needs inner/outer rockers and cab corners and a bullet hole in the back of the cab... all real easy fixes... All the cowl area, Drip rails and window areas are perfect... if interested call me...
Thanks for the offer, Dan, wish I'd known about it sooner. I've replaced all the panels infested with tinworm in the one I have, not to mention all the mods I made to the dash. Your photo should be in a Hemmings Abandoned Autos calendar.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #1889
Low Elco

Lol!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #1890
Rod Run

I have just read into this thread for the first time. I am also going to be cutting, smoothing and tucking my bumper soon. Hopefully I'll be starting on that next month.

I've already shaved and customized a LOT of other stuff on my project, so I'll be heading into this latest mod with eyes wide open

Sounds like you're starting to get frustrated on the whole bumper thing right now. My suggestion would be to walk away and work on a different part of your truck for a while (because I do the same thing), so you can get some positive mojo going and then go back to the bumper with a clearer head.

Good luck, because I love your idea so far
Old 01-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #1891
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, Dan, wish I'd known about it sooner. I've replaced all the panels infested with tinworm in the one I have, not to mention all the mods I made to the dash. Your photo should be in a Hemmings Abandoned Autos calendar.
Don't mind me Vic... I was brain dead this morning... I saw the stepside when you Brought CRLS home and... Well nevermind... Stupid is as stupid does...

Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #1892
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Run View Post
Sounds like you're starting to get frustrated on the whole bumper thing right now. My suggestion would be to walk away and work on a different part of your truck for a while (because I do the same thing), so you can get some positive mojo going and then go back to the bumper with a clearer head. Good luck, because I love your idea so far
Thanks for the suggestion, sometimes when you're so immersed in the problem of the day, you forget to step back a bit. I have a little project I've had on the back burner for way too long. My nephew gave me a grinder setup that belonged to his late, great Dad. I've been meaning to finish assembling it so I'd have a green stone for sharpening carbide instead of doing it manually. Think I'll burn a day and do that.

Quote:
Don't mind me Vic... I was brain dead this morning... I saw the stepside when you Brought CRLS home and... Well nevermind... Stupid is as stupid does...
That's quite alright, Dan. You and Jan have so much on your plate at any given time, it's a wonder you have time to keep up with forum stuff.

Made a few adjustments to the bumper today and some decisions about how to proceed. One last time, I split the center cut in the license plate area and tacked it to let the ends of the bumper come up slightly. I now have a 1/2" gap outboard and 7/16" in the center. I'll be able to make that work so it will never be noticed. I also trimmed and split the corner of the end piece to align it better with the fender. I still have some hammer and dolly work to do. The back edge will follow the edge of the gap I'm creating on the fender. More to come after I take a little break.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #1893
knomadd

Looking good Vic. I like your progress so far.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #1894
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

It looks like you are working through it pretty well...I like that tucked in look...

What day are you coming down for the Starbird-Devlin show...

Old 01-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #1895
jlsanborn

Holy smokes! You are showing no mercy on this bumper mod Vic. When it's finished most would never realize that it's modified, let alone what kind of muscle it took to pull it off. If you can get that done in chrome it'll be crazy-cool. Nice work!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #1896
sduckworth13

I like your approach on sheetmetal Vic. Your never afraid to start chopping away and it always looks awesome when your done.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #1897
GR8-68

I think it is looking great, you have welding skills so there is nothing that happens that cannot be fixed

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #1898
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Looking good Vic. I like your progress so far.
Thanks, Duane, yours is looking kickass! Love the firewall.
Quote:
It looks like you are working through it pretty well...I like that tucked in look... What day are you coming down for the Starbird-Devlin show...
Thanks, Dan. By now, you've probably figured out we didn't make the show. We'll try to get down there to a cruise in this spring when Papa J is 100%. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Holy smokes! You are showing no mercy on this bumper mod Vic. When it's finished most would never realize that it's modified, let alone what kind of muscle it took to pull it off. If you can get that done in chrome it'll be crazy-cool. Nice work!
Hey John, we're shooting for subtle even though Chip thinks it needs naca ducts and a speed sensitive spoiler. I'll probably take his advice on the chrome, though. I looked at the FB page for Advanced Chrome Concepts and they do some pretty amazing stuff over almost anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
I like your approach on sheetmetal Vic. Your never afraid to start chopping away and it always looks awesome when your done.
Thanks, Scott... and you've seen this thing in its underwear with all the warts too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
I think it is looking great, you have welding skills so there is nothing that happens that cannot be fixed
That's what I keep telling myself. Weld and grind, weld and grind...

Speaking of which, I'm back on the bumper after a few days doing "other stuff". The grinder deal is mostly done. It needs slots in the base to be able to tighten the belt and I need to make some adjustable tool supports as it came without any. Good side project for another day when I need a break from CRLS.

Below are some photos that show the direction I'm headed. The gaping hole will eventually be filled in with sheet metal. I'll use some of the metal that came out of the opening as a patch. A little hammer and dolly work should make it fit up reasonably well. The bumper will hide 90% of it anyway. The gap around the edge of the bumper will be about 3/16" - 1/4" depending on what looks best. I started to dolly the bumper edge to match the contour of the filler piece that's cleco'd to the fender and promptly snapped all my spot welds. I think when I welded it back together it wasn't exactly like I had it before, but it's close enough. Made a little wedge piece to fill in the pie cut and tacked it in place. More later...
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #1899
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Your hand forming and vision is astounding...

Old 01-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #1900
ken4444

Quote:
Your hand forming and vision is astounding...
The effort required to let a C10 carelessly decay over the decades is a million times less than what is required to reverse the deterioration.
ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote