The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #26
PAWS 72

Re: How many of us are "taking a break?"

BTW, I dont know which one will get worked on first. the 72 needs a repaint,its showing her age, the 71 needs a coat of paint or the 86,she needs some refreshments done. So........
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #27
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

I am certainly not putting any of my vehicles up for the winter . Here on the Carolina sea it never gets cold enough to even worry about it . And since it never snows here it is not even necessary.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 AM   #28
wreckedchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Well I work most days during the winter, usually 12 hour days so I don't have a lot of spare time. Toss in grad school, my business, and trying to write a novel and time is short.

Besides, my garage is very small, and the next job is removing the front clip and no way I'd try to store those parts outside (no room inside the garage) so it'll have to wait. If I can replace the cab bushings it'll be enough.

I had the same issue but all I had to do was kick the wife's dorf out of the garage so I could get my front clip done and that's it for me til spring. decent 2 car garage, completely dry walled and they didn't put a drop of insulation in it or heat...
Old 10-31-2013, 02:59 AM   #29
heyjoe

I try to break for the summer - too doggone hot & humid here!
I live very close to New Orleans, we didn't even dip below freezing for the past 2 years!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #30
BMERDOC

I didn't touch mine all summer. A bad carb mixed with a bad run of luck kept it parked oit on the street the entire time. Finally got around to it and bolted a reman'd carb on it. Runs great now and now its at my shop where I'm taking the six layers of paint off getting ready for a coat of e-prime and fixing all the bad spots. I'm gonna spend the winter making it nice for the warm weather next year.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #31
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: How many of us are "taking a break?"

Take a break! Huh... winter time is when I do my best work.

I plan to have the 6.0 LSx motor installed. I just put new 10" subs and H/U in it and now plan to take the rest of the interior out and put some deadner in it to help with noise levels. Dang it ant even Christmas yet!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
bigmac73

Well winter be damn, I got a two week old baby, so naturally that but a big hold on any more work at least any big ticket items or projects, was going to try to pull the cab of and get the sheet metal done, but not now, maybe in about 6 months or so, we will see how the budget settles out. with a two year old and a baby.....

Momma is keeping a close eye on my projects right now LOL....
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #33
Oxmarqt

My '69 goes into a garage Nov.15th and I will break her back out in late March. The Winter months are dedicated to the '77 Jeep CJ7.

I don't plan on doing any work to it as the garage I use is about 10 miles from home. Out of sight but not out of mind. I will spend the Winter months planning next years modifications/repairs and saving up the cash. May acquire a part here or there but nothing significant.

I suffer from "While I'm in there" syndrome so taking the time off and planning saves me time AND money!!
28" tires
Oxmarqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #34
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Since I have moved and down sized I have to store boxes of my stuff, her stuff,and the kids stuff in the bed until next spring when I build the shed ,, I need to get my garage ceiling insulated so any thing I do out there is comfortable enough to play in ..

Its 33 outside here today and 49 in my garage, brrr used to be able to stand it ,,not anymore,,
Old 10-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #35
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

I guess i will spend the next few cold months trying to figure out my brake light and turn signal issues so it will ready to take its first trip out next spring! YEA

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #36
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: How many of us are "taking a break?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chevorlet View Post
I guess i will spend the next few cold months trying to figure out my brake light and turn signal issues so it will ready to take its first trip out next spring! YEA
Start at the connection in the line right behind the rear axle. There is a plug in for the rear lights. It's inside the frame rail Take it loose and check all the wires having power with someone in the truck. Most times it's grounds on the rear lamps. This is a good starting point though. if you have power to the connection u know it's in the back section if no power then start moving forward til you find power.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #37
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Mustang is getting a whole new front suspension this winter.

We don't really have winter. It just get's annoyingly cold (anything below 50) for a month or two.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #38
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Start at the connection in the line right behind the rear axle. There is a plug in for the rear lights. It's inside the frame rail Take it loose and check all the wires having power with someone in the truck. Most times it's grounds on the rear lamps. This is a good starting point though. if you have power to the connection u know it's in the back section if no power then start moving forward til you find power.
Thanks for the info, the wiring harness in the back is new. its weird i have turn signals in the back but not in front and have park lights all around. And no brake lights. Possible brake switch for brakes i suspect being i have turn signals in the back. And i have good new ground straps on the cab, bed, front clip pluss a few extras.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #39
quick60

I take a break every couople of weeks!!! Its called lack of MONEY!!! I have two kids in college so I only get to work on the truck when the overtime bell rings at work and then have to wait for the pay check on the 15th or 30th.
quick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #40
Billett

It gets pretty cold here, but I spent all summer doing the LS swap in mine so now is the time to get everything nice and tidy to make up for lost time. Not to mention we have two more swaps to do before next summer so no time for breaks here!
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #41
special-K
Special Order

I gather this thread is about "working" on our trucks rather than "drive"them.I don't do much in winter with no garage. But,I still find things to do. If it's really cold,I'll pull parts and take inside to rebuild. A couple years ago I pulled one wheel at a time off my '72,wire wheeled it down,rolled it in the house by the wood stove to heat it up,rolled it back out to spray primer,rolled it right back to the stove,let it bake,then rolled it back out to paint,and rolled back in by stove to cure. It took time and patience,but I ended up with sweet looking wheels over the winter. I do a good bit outside,still,but definitely not like when it's warm. I drive till the salt goes down,and that's generally into winter a bit and ends while it still is cold. So,I've found myself doing repairs in the freezing cold (all winter on my newer stuff). The only thing that keeps me from doing mechanical work is fingers on cold steel. If it's something that has to be done,I just go till I can't stand it and go warm up.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #42
steelhorse

Work on it year round. Hell I've been known to ride the Harley to work in January.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #43
54belair

Next Year Ill pack it away for the winter-------

This Year- I finished (?) painting it two or three weeks ago. Ive just been sitting back, taking a deep breath, and getting ready to start again. Tomorrow a friend- who is a painter- is comming over and we are going to start the cutting and buffing. Im gone out of town alot so Im not sure how long it will take.
I have plenty of propane bought---so I can work thru the winter. Re-assembly will start when I put the buffers away!! The current goal (everybody has to have a goal!!) is to have her finished and on the road by the end of May next year. (All depends on how much Im home)

re-
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #44
elf w/capital T

Lol! Im just taking a break tonight checking out the forum, looking up how to fix neon lights! Lol got me some new wall aart, a neon Budweiser sign 'proud to serve those who serve' since i volunteered 5 years to the USMC. Enjoy your break! Thank goodness it doesnt get like them Minnesota boys cold here! But i sure do miss playing in the snow in Richfield!!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #45
Syndrome

I'm trying to set up my automotive area so that I can work on it through the winter. I've got to install three bi-fold doors that are each about 3 ft wide and have weather strips all around them, put something on the roof to keep the water out, and patch a few holes. I've got an old unfinished house(framing and some sheeting on) that I use to work on my vehicles in.

I'm also working on getting me a 2 post lift that I will set up just outside of the 'garage' as its not tall enough to put a lift inside.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #46
1972RedNeck

I just put a set of chains on.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #47
low&slow
Account Suspended

Taking a break here in about 2 more weeks or less. I'm a scronny tall guy so I get cold when the temp hits 75 outside, let alone 35-40 lol. All I'm going to is fix a fuel line, start it so I can put antifreeze in it, then shut it off. I'll go out and start it every few months, but nothing will get done like usual I bet by the middle of the month, it will be in the low 20's during the day and snowing. Maybe if my wallet grows a little, I will go out and get a 20x10 foot car port. I got an outside fire stove, plenty of electric heaters, and a propane heater. We'll see. I doubt it though, but I sure will be on here looking at all the builds sitting in nice warm garages lol
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #48
dlh760

Winter? What's that? In southern California we only have 3 seasons,summer,February and fire.
68 Chevy c10 longbed 307 with 305 H.O. heads,edelbrock performer intake,edelbrock performer plus cam,hei,Holley 650 double pumper and th400. Daily driver. It hauls butt,it hauls my butt where I need to go
dlh760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #49
primetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Mustang is getting a whole new front suspension this winter.

We don't really have winter. It just get's annoyingly cold (anything below 50) for a month or two.
I was just thinking the same. what's winter? here in South Carolina its always wrench time. besides I've taken 5 years off from working on the truck already. time to get some progress started
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #50
Lattimer

My garage is heated and air conditioned, so I can work whenever I want. I won't drive it much over the winter due to the salt.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote