The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #26
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: New Member from Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime1996525 View Post
I am going to ask about the title situation when I look at the truck because I've been wondering the same thing. And thanks for the heads up on the buckets. I didn't think they were for the correct year.
I've been looking for a set for my truck just because I like them. I also forgot to welcome you to the site so WELCOME!!! from Nor Cal

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime1996525 View Post
From what the guy told me it's the cab that's not original. That he changed it from a Cheyenne Super so I'm guessing the bed is the original part which should mean the frame wasn't cut. I'm definitely going to look that. I agree the $6500 is high, especially if it needs $10k to get looking decent. Do you have any suggestions on what would be a good price for something like that?
That set off all of the alarms! The vin goes with the cab and not the frame. Ask for a close up photo of the VIN tag or, better still, drive out and see the truck in person. If that VIN does not come back clear you could lose your money and the truck. As a rule I buy the most rust free stuff I can afford as it saves a lot of money in the long run but I would pass on this truck!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #28
sublime1996525

The more and more I think about it the more and more I'm convinced I'm going to pass on this truck. I'll look at it on Saturday and see if I can get a good story behind it and go from there. If anything I'll have an idea on what to look for.
sublime1996525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #29
s_nova69

Well welcome Utahn! Where were you last spring for out Utah forum meet and greets? you missed some good hot dogs and coffee.

I live in Midvale and would be more than willing to help you look at that truck. I am very knowledgeable about these ole trucks and Mister B can vouch for that.

My first opinion is:
What is it you want to get out of buying a 2wd swb?
Do you want to make it look nice ie new paint and chrome and interior?
Do you want to do a frame off restore?

What are you ideas of the direction you would want to go.

That truck might not be a bad buy if you know what you are getting into and have a specific goal in mind. (as Mister B said)

It would also be a good learning experience if you had someone along that could show you first hand the things to look for in every corner.

Hit me a PM if you are interested in local advice

The 6.5k price is very high. If you could get it for 3k or less it might be worth it depending on your goals
4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
bigmac73

Cash speaks, walk up with 4K if he does not take it then leave a phone number , i am sure he would call back after he thinks about it. besure to point out all the issues and concerns that way your offer is justified.
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #31
sublime1996525

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_nova69 View Post
Well welcome Utahn! Where were you last spring for out Utah forum meet and greets? you missed some good hot dogs and coffee.

I live in Midvale and would be more than willing to help you look at that truck. I am very knowledgeable about these ole trucks and Mister B can vouch for that.

My first opinion is:
What is it you want to get out of buying a 2wd swb?
Do you want to make it look nice ie new paint and chrome and interior?
Do you want to do a frame off restore?

What are you ideas of the direction you would want to go.

That truck might not be a bad buy if you know what you are getting into and have a specific goal in mind. (as Mister B said)

It would also be a good learning experience if you had someone along that could show you first hand the things to look for in every corner.

Hit me a PM if you are interested in local advice

The 6.5k price is very high. If you could get it for 3k or less it might be worth it depending on your goals
Thanks for the reply man! I'd really like to go look at the truck this weekend. It's up in Avon, which is by Logan, so a bit of a trek. I'd love to have an extra eye to look at it and show me things.

My goal for a 2wd swb would be to have a nice cruiser that I can drive as I do a mild restore. I just cruise around on the streets so no real need for 4wd unless I got a good deal on one. Having that for the snow might not be a bad thing. So I guess I haven't really made up my mind on 2wd or 4wd. I know a friend of mine had a 70swb with a 454 when we were 16 and I've loved the swb trucks since.

I guess my goal for short term would be to have something that doesn't need a ton of body work that I can drive.

Hopefully this Spring I can go to the forum meet and greet!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #32
pritch

Welcome from Coalville! I was checking out KSL.com last week and saw that truck, too. Seemed like there were a few others listed in there as well. Also, I always see a lot of parts for these trucks on KSL listed by someone up Logan way. Maybe it's the same guy, but Avon didn't ring any bells.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #33
swamp rat

Definitely check the vin numbers both on the frame and cab.

Look at the frame ahead of the rear wheels on the insides of the rails especially for reinforcement plates, i have seen outsides of frames sanded so well then painted you couldn't see that they were shortened from the outside.

I agree the price seems steep, at least for Wa..

Buddy Buckets like that seem to go for around $500-$700 in that condition.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #34
sublime1996525

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
Welcome from Coalville! I was checking out KSL.com last week and saw that truck, too. Seemed like there were a few others listed in there as well. Also, I always see a lot of parts for these trucks on KSL listed by someone up Logan way. Maybe it's the same guy, but Avon didn't ring any bells.
Well I guess it's good there are a lot of parts for sale local. I'll look at the VIn on the cab and frame and see if the guys has both titles.

Thanks for the tips on where to check the frame swamp rat!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #35
sublime1996525

Didn't make it up to look at the truck today. Oh well hopefully I'll be able to during the week. Maybe I'll get lucky and find about SWB in my area for the $5k mark that doesn't need too much work.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #36
Haggis

Hey I know you! Welcome to a fellow UMCA member.

This place has more info and help than you could ever need. If anyone can help you find a decent truck its this site.

Your budget will get you a decent truck, it will just take a bit to find.
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #37
sublime1996525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Hey I know you! Welcome to a fellow UMCA member.

This place has more info and help than you could ever need. If anyone can help you find a decent truck its this site.

Your budget will get you a decent truck, it will just take a bit to find.
Hey what's up man? Thanks! I'm noticing there is a ton of information on here. This is a great forum so far.