The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #1
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Need a carburetor...what kind??

I have a 68 SWB with a 307/Powerglide tranny. My Rochester carb started to leak around the front of the float bowl and around the baseplate gasket. I rebuilt it with no success because it still leaks. I've been looking for a replacement but I'm new to the carb. world and I don't know what I should use. Like most people, I'm on a budget and the truck is a daily driver so horsepower gains and performance aren't an issue. The other problem I'm trying to tackle is that the baseplate studs that stick up from the manifold are in bad shape and will need replacing. Will I need to get another manifold or can you just by the studs. Sorry for the long post but I'm really don't know what my next step should be...

Thanks in advance!!
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i'll sell you an edelbrock avs thunder series carb, 650cfm, plus.... the dual feed fuel line for $300
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
Stevetra

I tell ya...and plenty people disagree with me....but The Q-jet is the best carb for your chevy IF and only IF you plan on driving it daily.
Holley makes great carbs, but for stock performance I would stick with the Q-jet

personal opinion....for what its worth
Stevetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 AM   #4
4x4Poet

I, too, would stick with your carb and replace the gaskets that leak. Perhaps have a professional do it who has to guarantee against leaks. If it runs fine otherwise, maybe you would only need to pay for gasket replacement.

The intake studs are prolly available at most any parts store with a hardware-style bolt selection. Double nut one of the studs, pull it, and take it in to match it up.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You guys tell him to keep his quadrajet, but since he's talking about studs holding the carb down, my money says he has a 2 barrel Rochester carb, not a quadrajet.

Just the same, a 2 barrel Rochester is my all time favoritest carb ever. Have it rebuilt properly, install a good filter right before it and you should be good to go.

Those carbs are as reliable as the family dog.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

You can buy the studs at an auto parts store or a hardware store. To remove the old studs, put two nuts on the stud as far down as possible and tighten them against each other. Then turn the bottom nut to unscrew the stud. If the stud doesn't turn, heat the manifold around the stud with a torch, if you're using propane it will take a while. You should then be able to back the stud out.

I agree with the others, for a daily driver the Rochester will be your best bet. You might have a leaky throttle shaft, whiich will need to have a bushing installed.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:41 PM   #7
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
You guys tell him to keep his quadrajet, but since he's talking about studs holding the carb down, my money says he has a 2 barrel Rochester carb, not a quadrajet....
Whaddaya mean "You guys?" I just said stick with the carb he has.:p

OK, maybe I was imagining Q-jet.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:07 AM   #8
Tx Firefighter

I've run into the carb studs being corroded and necked down badly. My advice, if the nut will thread down onto it, leave it alone.

A carb does not need much torque on the holdown nuts. There is no reason to tighten it very tightly. That's why there is a gasket under there, to seal the carb. No tighter than you need to cinch them down, don't risk ruining a stud trying to pull them out. I bet it's a cast iron manifold and I bet the stud seized in there tighter than heck. You'll likely get to learn about such neat things as easy-outs, drill bits and taps if you mess with it.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:33 PM   #9
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Thank you all very much for your advice. I think I'll try and have it rebuilt by someone locally. They sell the reman. Rochester 2 bbl. for about $110 at the parts house, and a rebuild around here seems to go for about $100... six to one, half a dozen to the other. I'll keep you posted. THANKS AGAIN!!!
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:10 PM   #10
grayw0lf

Although... if he has problems removing the old carb studs, thats a perfect excuse to put in a nice aluminum intake. It'll give you a littl more power & run cooler air/fuel mix, resulting in slightly better gas mileage. You should be able to find a nice used Performer on here or ebay for 35-45'ish.

But, don't listen to me. I'm always looking for an excuse to break stuff. Especially if its properly working.
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:13 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter

He's got a 2 barrel.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:54 PM   #12
jimfulco

The local rebuild is the best bet. That way you get the same carb back & it's already calibrated for your vehicle (assuming it was right beforehand), and everything hooks up the same way, in the same place.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote