The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2019, 12:29 AM   #1
nvrdone

idaho vin inspection

we are considering a move to Idaho in the near future. When we moved to Wa from CA I had lots of problems registering my truck because the vin plate is held on with rivets which the inspector said could be removed and switched to another vehicle. since there is no other vin on the truck - factory only did the plate - I had to get a letter from GM stating that they only used the vin number plate when the truck was built. I had to post a bond until I could clear this up.
Now im wondering - will I have the same problem in Idaho? I called Idaho vehicle licensing dept and all they could tell me was that I had to have the vin inspected before I could register the truck.
Has any one in Idaho had a similar experience or can shed some light on what I may have to deal with?
Thanks much.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #2
GreasyLikeaBurger

Re: idaho vin inspection

curious about this also, thought about moving up that way in the near future
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
MARTINSR

We will see, I will have the same issue.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
mr48chev

49 and 49 door post tags are held on with screws rather than rivets. It's funny but when I moved back to Washington from Texas in the mid 70's the state patrol inspector didn't bat an eye at the screws holding the plate. Yep the number matches the title, done.

For Idaho it looks like the vin inspection is rather simple,
Requirements here https://itd.idaho.gov/itddmv/

Vin inspection form pfd here https://itd.idaho.gov/wp-content/upl...16/06/3403.pdf

Just remember when you leave California you leave California concepts behind as they don't appreciate that in Idaho.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
nvrdone

mr48chevy - thanks for the info. After further talks with Idaho DOL, they gave me a name & number of an inspector who specializes in old vehicles. he will be back on Monday, so I should have more info later. stay tuned …..
Old 04-17-2019, 11:38 PM   #6
SATURN

The Idaho DMV is pretty easy to deal with. When we moved here from California, they just inspected our vehicle VIN tags at the DMV office. If they have an issue with your VIN tag they may refer you you to the Sheriffs office for an inspection. The local DMV has always been helpful and nice. (we live in Meridian)
SATURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:35 AM   #7
MiraclePieCo

'49 ADs had no other VIN locations than the driver's door frame, and they were actually screwed on with clutch heads with a hex perimeter (see pic). When I had my VIN inspected they had a reference book that told them how the plates were originally mounted; perhaps your rivets instead of screws triggered the CA inspector's suspicion.

I've often thought of stamping my VIN on my frame just as added security against theft, and to help it breeze through any future DMV inspections. After all, I don't think there's any law about adding VIN number locations as long as they all agree.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 04-18-2019 at 05:42 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #8
MiraclePieCo

nvrdone, here's the definitive word from Jim Carter Truck Parts; note paragraph 5 and 6 - it describes your issue with the CA inspector exactly:

http://oldchevytrucks.com/blog/index...-on-id-plates/

The body I.D. plate – every GM truck had one attached at the factory. Basically it states the vehicle’s gross weight limit (weight of truck plus its maximum allowed load) plus stamped digits that give the assembly plant year, size of truck, month built, and sequential numbers as it came off the production line. These plates are necessary for positive vehicle identification.

A unique characteristic of the 1950 and older GM truck is that the I.D. plate was not riveted at the factory but rather held in place by two small clutch head screws with a hexagon perimeter. Thus a wrench or a clutch driver can tighten or remove them.

Over the years if the two screws begin to loosen, the owner would either retighten them from time to time or often remove the plate for safe keeping. Usually this plate stayed in the glove box or at home and just never got reattached. Thus we find some of these pre-1951 GM trucks with no I.D. plates. In the early years this was often of little concern as most trucks were titled on the engine number.

After 1950 these I.D. Plates were riveted to the door post. Probably not so much to prevent vehicle theft (we lived in a different era) but just to keep them from being lost.

In today’s world this can cause big problems in registering particularly if the transfer is to another state and an I.D. number verification is necessary. Even if the I.D. plate remains secure with screws as it left the factory, a problem may still exist. Unfortunately most inspectors today weren’t even born when these trucks were built. Sometimes an officer refuses to OK the truck, saying that I.D. plates do not come with attaching screws and it is not legal. You now have an uphill battle with an inspector that really believes he is correct.

Yes, you can attach this original scratched and painted-over I.D. plate with rivets. However, what is this inspector going to say when he sees this worn and painted on I.D. plate attached with two new shiny pop rivets? Have you ever been accused of car theft? It is then you wish the truck was titled to the engine!

Remember, on a left hand drive truck (1947-55) the I.D. plate attached to the left door post. It is attached to the opposite side on the right hand drive truck. The two holes for the plate screws or rivets are punched at the factory in both door posts.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 04-18-2019 at 05:52 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
nvrdone

thanks guys for all the info. just to clarify, the problem was with WA inspection, not CA.
I just looked at my vin plate again and it is held on with clutch head screws, not rivets, so that may help. Hopefully the inspector I have been told to call will be easy to deal with. I should know more next week
Old 04-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #10
MARTINSR

The bummer with me is I don't even have an original ID tag! So my truck, that I let the registration lapse years ago has ZERO id on it! I drove it for years with out any id, and before that it had the wrong plate with a different id on it. Is that wild or what!

Yep, I have two reproduction tags and the letter stamps to put the VIN which is what I will be doing, along with my original Pink slip and registration slip from 1973, we will see. I have thought about doing one of the vin tags and then aging it with some "patina" so it looks original. But I don't want to push it. I will just have to deal with it like it's a "home built" I guess.

Brian

Old 04-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
mr48chev

It sounds like a sacrilege but I'd stamp the numbers in one. put it on the truck with the right clutch head screws and if you haven't already done the door posts primer and paint right over the top of it. To the point you or the inspector has to take a knife and scrape the paint off the tag where the number is stamped. That's the way mine was when I had it inspected here. Then you can put the pretty new one on later when you finish the truck.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It sounds like a sacrilege but I'd stamp the numbers in one. put it on the truck with the right clutch head screws and if you haven't already done the door posts primer and paint right over the top of it. To the point you or the inspector has to take a knife and scrape the paint off the tag where the number is stamped. That's the way mine was when I had it inspected here. Then you can put the pretty new one on later when you finish the truck.
Not a bad idea. I have never seen one held with screws though, mine was original and it was rivets. As I remember it was an odd rivet with little lumps around it.

Brian

Old 04-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The bummer with me is I don't even have an original ID tag! So my truck, that I let the registration lapse years ago has ZERO id on it! I drove it for years with out any id, and before that it had the wrong plate with a different id on it. Is that wild or what!

Yep, I have two reproduction tags and the letter stamps to put the VIN which is what I will be doing, along with my original Pink slip and registration slip from 1973, we will see. I have thought about doing one of the vin tags and then aging it with some "patina" so it looks original. But I don't want to push it. I will just have to deal with it like it's a "home built" I guess.

Brian
Federal regulations allow the owner or authorized entity to remove and replace the VIN tag when reasonably necessary for restoration. Knowing that, you may proceed without bothering to inform the tyrannical drones at the DMV, who would be completely flummoxed and handle it with an automatic rejection:

18 U.S. Code § 511. Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers:

(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).

(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
MARTINSR

Thanks! The only trick to dealing with the DMV is "Tell them what they need to hear" and NOTHING more. LOL

Brian

Old 04-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #15
mr48chev

The simple fact that you have had that truck in your name forever + 3 days probably helps a lot.

It doesn't hurt to have "historical" photos that show how long you have had it either if the subject comes up.

My door post tag has been in my tool box for 20 something years. Maybe since 1981 when I did the suicide doors.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #16
GreasyLikeaBurger

You can get the specific rivets for the id plates from a few vendors. I have heard just use body sealer to hold the plate on and same on the rivets so it looks original. Trying to find the tool for the odd ball rivets is hard to get.
https://www.classicparts.com/1947-59...ctinfo/33-106/
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:10 AM   #17
mr48chev

47/48 and early 49 had the clutch head screws. Many states used the engine serial number as the vin then.

It's still going to depend on the knowledge and attitude of the person in Idaho that inspects it and that may be a deputy who is part of the local car community. The title being in Brian's name for longer than some guys are old helps some. His build book with photos dating to way way back when show that it's the truck he has owned for a seriously long time. It isn't quite like the guy who ran to Cali and bought a truck off Craigslist over the weekend and that truck may be a bit suspect or assembled from parts of 25 different trucks.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #18
nvrdone

I hope that because ive owned the truck since 1973 ( maybe longer than Brian - and its drive able !!) may help. Ive also got the original bill of sale and registration for every year since I bought it.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #19
vintovka

When we moved from CA to OR they looked at the plate on our 54 for less than a millsecond and boom we were titled in OR. CA makes folks paranoid about everything and thats how they control the honest folks. Now if your a crook or an immigrant you don't even need to worry about laws, money, health insurance or getting arrested.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:26 AM   #20
Matt_50

Does Idaho go off the body serial number or engine serial number?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #21
nvrdone

not sure where ID looks for a vin #. Hopefully on our AD's its the door tag. I hope to know more tomorrow after calling that inspector I was told to call.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #22
Matt_50

Here in Texas I had to have a anti theft detective come by the house. He didn't even open the door. Opened the hood, called in engine number, checked it out, gave me a paper and I took it downtown. Hopefully Idaho is that easy.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #23
nvrdone

so today I called the ID DOL inspector I was told to call & we had a great talk. I told him what I went thru registering the truck in WA & asked if I would have any problems in ID.
He said the magic question is " does the vin # on the tag match the vin # on the title?"
I said it does. He said then there is no problem. Their inspectors have access to a data base that details vin info on just about any vehicle made. He said the inspection takes about 10 min to verify the vin # and do the paper work.
Im likeing ID more and more !!!!
Old 04-28-2019, 12:44 AM   #24
beanyard

I am from Idaho. What part of Idaho are you moving to? Any police officer can also perform a vin inspection. This is what I did for my 51 which did not run.
Posted via Mobile Device
beanyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:14 AM   #25
lok-dawg

Don't worry about it, we're full anyway... Idaho is not accepting new residents at this time or in the near future.
'14 Subaru Impreza- Limited/2.0/Sedan/AWD
lok-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote