The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
eat1sleep8blink2

blown head gasket

so i blew my head gasket for daily driving and i love driving my burb but do i do a motor swap and put a bigger motor in or should i rebuild the original 327 sb if i do a swap im gonna try and go bb and what all to i have to change to go to a big block i have a t-400 tranny and no power steering and no power brakes. all it is to do is new motor mounts and a bigger radiotor right and thanks for any help and opinions.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

Re: blown head gasket

wat?
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

that is a rough read...
Have you considered just replacing the head gaskets?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
1956cameo

You will definately at the very least need all of the parts you described. Also I would highly suggest that you also upgrade to power brakes, and power steering. Now if you are trying to convert it over to be factory complete and original as a Big Block, than you will need numerous parts beyond what is mentioned.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

Personally I'd just fix what needs fixing.

Or, if you have the cash. I'd rebuild the 327 a little better than stock, that way you can reuse all the brackets and everything else.

BBC brackets are suprisingly expensive.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
eat1sleep8blink2

sorry for the confusing typing up top i was really tired but here is what im asking

1. should i keep the number matching 327 in the burb because it will be worth more one day then rebuild it later and try and get more power out oh it.

2. go big block for more power but then it wont be number matching

3. if i go BB what all do i have to change brackets, radiotior, and bigger shocks up front

basicly why im asking this is are these worth more with origianal motor and would all of you get pissed off if i just ruined a number matching burb
Old 10-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

is it a truck that is worth keeping the matching numbers?

are you planning on making the matching number count for something like a concourse show or museum piece?
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
1956cameo

I am a numbers matching type of guy. I will always pay a little more for an all original, numbers matching truck. However unlike muscle cars where #'s matching is a huge deal and can greatly alter a vehicles value I don't think it is nearly as big a deal with the trucks.

The original engine may add some to the value of the burb, but propably not as much as a non numbers matching burb with a big block in it. If you are doing a show quality restoration keep the 327. If you are just trying to build a nice driver go with what you want. Remember no matter what you put into the burb you can always keep the original components stored in the garage if you decide to go back to original or sell.

Also I think that 90% of the guys on here are customizers and wouldn't care what you do. Even I would only get upset if you took an original burb that still looked like new and started customizing.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry

Last edited by 1956cameo; 10-15-2009 at 10:15 AM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
vectorit
What?

Personally I prefer to hear the seller say to me that it is the original motor from the factory, and I have gone through great lengths on my burb to keep the original running gear. Not that I plan to sell it or anything, it's just me being anal about having an original 1968 K20 burb.

If you want to go BBC instead of the original SBC, then more power to you. It is after all your truck, and you can do anything you want to it.

I had a 68 elCamino with a 327, the original died and I didn't have the resources to rebuild it. I stuck in another better motor, and when I sold it I wanted to keep the engine in it. The buyer was relieved that I kept the original engine, to which I sold with the car and he planned to rebuild it.

If you have the money and resources to go BBC, then go for it since there is plenty of room in the bay for a rat. But I'd keep the original mill tucked away.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

a bbc burb will 9 times out of ten, be worth more than a sbc burb.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Average Joe

If all thats wrong with your motor is a blown head gasket why not just replace them? You can purchase a no name gasket set from Summit for 30 bucks. This includes all the gaskets you will need to do the job. You will also need a tube of RTV, 2-3 gallons of antifreeze, gasket scraper and basic hand tools which you probably already own. Borrow a torque wrench from a friend or rent one if you dont already own one. You might also consider buying a overhaul manual for a SBC. David Vizard's "How to rebuild your small block Chevy" is invaluable. This option will get your 'Burb back on the road much quicker and allow you to save up money for doing the Big Block swap right. As for keeping it original do what you want. Its your rig. Like Vectorit said hang on to the original motor and all is good. When you do swap in the big block consider purchasing a "donor" truck. This way you get all the brackets and other items you may otherwise have to search a junkyard for. Plus you can test drive the vehicle if its in running condition. When you are done with your donor truck part it out or sell it to the junkyard. The brackets may not be period correct for your Suburban but they will function just fine. The factory SB springs will work but will sit 1-2" lower with the big block in place. Consider replacing your driveline with a beefier unit if any mods are required there.You will need at least a 3 core brass radiator or a modern aluminum radiator for cooling. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #12
eat1sleep8blink2

so i replaced my head gasket it went smooth. i broke a torque wrench, 3 trips to the auto store, found burnt valves, had to cut the headers they were welded on.

it started fine but i need to get new flanges before i can drive it around. it took us about 6 hours and cant wait to test it out.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
Average Joe

Glad to hear ya got it running. Its always a good feeling getting a rig back on the road.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
eat1sleep8blink2

ya it is running better then ever it needed a tune up bad witch we did while replacing the head gasket and i have to relash some of the valves i here a slight tick from them