The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
wolffcub

Gas Tank Crack

Just thought i would post a heads up for people who might be running the same style of tank under the bed of a 47-early 54 truck. I did like the style of the tank and such but found out yesterday that where they welded on on the mounting tabs to the tank has caused a rip in the tank.

It was the furthest forward tab on the left side. Looks like this style of mounting tabs is not the best because it appears to not allow flexing at the tabs if the chassis twists or flexes.

Need to find a different tank now with either a single tab per side or possible a unit that uses a strap style hanger system.

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
mr twuk dwiver

Re: Gas Tank Crack

Thanks for the heads up on the under mounted tank. I just had one installed on my 58 Apache this year.I see on mine it is mounted on side rails with 3 bolts per side. I had a new tank replaced behind the seat to get away from that gas smell in the cab. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device
mr twuk dwiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
wolffcub

I think the issue with this is the poor design of the front tabs. They are welded at a angle to supposedly match the angle of the chassis wheel hump. Problem is that the wheel hump is a curve and the tabs are flat so when you tighten up the bolts as instructed is causes the tab to flex and follow the curve of the chassis. This would then in turn put stress on the welds where the tabs is attached to the tank sides, and with any possible chassis twisting over time rip out the weld as it did on mine.

Im looking into this unit now. It only has 2 flat tabs on the sides that bolt to the level part of the chassis. No more angled tabs attached to the arch area.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1947-5...ank,43665.html

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
Gippetto

The info from there forums continues to amaze me. I was searching all your posts to find the info on which tank you used. I recalled your post saying how well the tank installation went without any cross member issues when I came across your crack heads-up.
I might still consider this tank but would weld in a mount matching the angle of the tank's front tabs.

I will also keep posted to see how you make out with Speedways' tank.
Gippetto is offline   Reply With Quote