The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
woodb

Thumbs up Newbie from the land down under

G'day all, I acquired a '48 Chevy 4 door Fleetmaster, a little over a year ago. Its in original and working condition. Has been registered continually with full licence except for about 5 years when it was on a concessional club licence.
My intention is to upgrade it's mechanicals for safety & improved ride & handling. Currently I have a Jag IFS waiting to go in with a LATER model Chevy I6.
Which brings me to the reason for joining this forum. The engine is out of a small shuttle style bus from our local airport. I have been unable to trace the casting block number anywhere. Can anyone here help?
The casting # is 93403846. with GM 3 below. Which I know is the mould number.Just above the (rear positioned) dipstick is OE.12.77
Engine number (on Dizzy plate) isE 80810.
Head cast number is: 93400104, made in Mexico. Which, according to Leo Santuccis'book, is a 292 head,era '67-90.
It still has the original intake manifold (made in Mexico) # 3428872 with Rochester Mono-Jet carby.
I need as much info as possible on this engine so I can order parts as and when required. The motor runs ok as it was bench tested this week. Good oil pressure & good even cylinder pressure but in need of gaskets.
If I can find out how to post pictures, they will be forthcoming.Some general info now. As we (down under) drive on the OTHER? side of the road to the cars' land of origon, I am going to refer to the engine sides as left & right, as seen from standing facing the front of the car. This engine is a standard low deck type. The rocker cover has 4 bolts on the manifold side & 3 on the dizzy side,with 2 filler caps, one at front, one at rear & 2 breathers. One to intake manifold & one to the air cleaner.It has the narrow side cover plates. From the front Left (spark plug) side, in order, is the large right angle cartridge type oil filter, dizzy, fuel pump with bowl (towards rear), triangular engine mount hole pattern, then the usual 2 dip stick locations with mine in the rear most one.
Hope this is not too much superflueous info & someone can be of much needed assistance. Cheers!
woodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
woodb

Re: Newbie from the land down under

Well, I finally realize I don't have a 292 block. Seeing some pictures of the different blocks made me understand I had misunderstood what I had read. As has been said "ITS HARD TO FIX STUPID", but I am working on it.
Now all I need to do, is find out how to tell what size it is. Without tearing it down.
Can anyone help with that?
Old 10-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
kcsa75

Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

You might post on the Engines and Drivetrain board -- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=24. Some pretty sharp guys hang out there.

Good luck.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
woodb

Thanks kcsa75 for your input. Will talk to the guys you mentioned and see where it leads. Cheers!