The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
bundeber

Former Glory

Well, bit the bullet and bought my blazer. Now before I start I have to get rid of an old clunker that I bought for the newly rebuilt engine. Before I scrap it, I want to know if the 3/4 ton axles and springs will mount from a 77 chevy onto a K5 blazer? I want the 8 bolt wheel pattern because I hate light duty axles. Am I going to have to swap out spring perches too? I would like the heavier springs from the 3/4 ton too, so I'm thinking that may be an issue with the 1/2 ton perches.

Here are a couple of picts of the new toy.
Attached Images

bundeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: Former Glory

don't know the answer, but it seems to me that you can measure across the leaf springs at the diff. and see if they match up to your '77

nice patina, I'm subscribed

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
bundeber

Thanks, if it wouldn't rust away I'd be tempted to leave it! I did call a custom spring shop and they told me the width and length of the springs are the same, so assuming my width on the axle is the same, the springs should bolt right in.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundeber View Post
Thanks, if it wouldn't rust away I'd be tempted to leave it! I did call a custom spring shop and they told me the width and length of the springs are the same, so assuming my width on the axle is the same, the springs should bolt right in.
wonder if they make a flat clearcoat

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
70 beast
Certified Hobbiest

Front axle is a bolt in. Rear axle usually is not and requires the perches to be moved. Ive rread that later model 1 ton trucks are a bolt in but dont quote me on that hahah.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
bundeber

Talking Re: Former Glory

Quote:
wonder if they make a flat clearcoat
Yes they do, but I don't think it would stick well without a primer.

Quote:
Front axle is a bolt in. Rear axle usually is not and requires the perches to be moved. Ive rread that later model 1 ton trucks are a bolt in but dont quote me on that hahah.
That's good to know. Not looking forward to moving the perches, but what are you gonna do. Gotta start somewhere, and it's a PITA to not have a rolling chassis.

A little update on what this project is all about... For my sake, and the happiness of my wife... which I guess is still my sake, this is gonna be a budget build! Thankfully the thing is pretty solid so that shouldn't be too hard. Lets just say she wasn't too thrilled with the purchase as I just sold a 68 camaro I got finished with and needless to say... the idea of another project doesn't thrill her.

This may turn into a long term build, but I'm hoping to have the metal work, epoxy primer and maybe even some color shot on this thing by the end of June. I already have solid running gear for it, so the basics like brakes, seals, u joints should make this thing move on it's own power. My only issue will be making sure I can get the local parts boys the correct ujoint numbers. For some reason when you ask them to look those up for NON stock components they get this blank look on their face. I think it has something to do with the fact that they only get paid about 9 bucks an hour.

Basically the wife will be happier if she sees it all in one color and put together. I think she freaked out a bit the other day when she saw my old truck with the front clip off if it. She had no idea what they looked like apart. I'm sure most of us have seen that reaction before, but when that look of terror is on your wife's face you can almost hear the argument starting! Mental note.... lock garage from now on and tell her it's a surprise, she can see it when it's done.

Somewhere down the road, I'll tear the body back off the frame and get it sand blasted and painted, with these wyoming frames it's just surface scale and I don't see any reason to get too carried away. At least until after the crap gets cleaned up from it previously hitting the fan....
Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
BOHICA

I'm curious, why do you want to put 3/4 ton springs under the Blazer? Is it to help prevent sagging or what?
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
bundeber

A couple of reasons actually. I hate 6 bolt wheels, they're really hard to find out here, unless you want NEW, and quite frankly what good does 1 extra lugnut do? However, I have 2 3/4 ton trucks with 8 bolt wheels. I also have 3 extra sets of nice 8 bolt rims, because out here, everyone has 3/4 ton trucks for pulling in the mtns. So take off wheels are a dime a dozen. Plus, the backroads out here, are kind of brutal, I want something with a little more beef, and lastly, I just scrapped out a 3/4 ton with disc brakes that had new brake pads, new brake hoses, etc. They were free.... What more can I really say.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
BOHICA

Right, I get using stouter axles. I was just curious why you want to go with the stiffer 3/4 springs as well.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
bundeber

I actually called a spring maker and he told me the springs are identical for the blazers and a 3/4 ton truck. Apparently because of the fiberglass top they used a stiffer spring in the rear than the 1/2 ton trucks. I believe they used a couple less springs, but those are easy enough to remove. While it will ride like a lumber wagon with more springs, I'll eventually go to new custom springs so the ride will improve. This is probably going to be one of those builds that goes in stages, as I can afford it. But when I am using this thing, it's going to be packed with camping gear, coolers, and hunting gear. So the extra spring may not be a bad thing for my purposes.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
BOHICA

Gotcha, thanks. Had no idea that Blazers used a heavier spring.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
bundeber

Update, At least I know NOT to call that spring place for new springs! They were way off on lengths for the blazers. Long story short, I'll be re-using the springs from the blazer with the new 3/4 ton axles. Front perches are in the identical position, and like was stated by 70 Beast. The rears are only off by 1 inch, this is based on my preliminary measurements, I'll be more precise when I actually install new perches. I'll be using a fab method described by someone else on this forum, just don't know exactly where that thread was, luckily, I took notes!

Patch panels are all here as of 10:00 am, so hopefully I'll have a full day of rust repair under my belt tomorrow night. I ordered a new set of body mounts as that was recommended by pretty much everyone on this site. I'll install those before doing anything else. And I'll be leaving the top on too for added support.

And before I get the This thread is worthless without pictures..... I'll update with photos tomorrow evening as there is no new progress yet.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
BOHICA

I thought that didn't sound right that a Blazer would use 3/4-ton springs when it'll probably never see the loads a pickup would. I was like, nah, surely a spring shop would know what they're talking about. lol

And yeah, let's see some more pics.

Last edited by BOHICA; 05-20-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
bundeber

Finally some progress, actually a lot of progress. However my camera is not cooperating with my computer and is telling me that all my photo files are corrupt and unreadable... gotta love technology. Tried it on two different computers, and same results. Gonna try taking them to a photo store to see if they can get them onto a disk for me, funny that the camera can use the file to view them, but not my computers.

SO, I don't have any in progress work, just finished rust repair. Lets just say that two long nights and a zillion spot welds, and rockers, floor extensions, front section of the rear wheel wells, and a pillars are all repaired. Still have some final grinding to do on some of the welds, but my back wouldn't take anymore. I think some advil is in order tonight. Floors look a bit rusty yet, but I gave them the old screwdriver test to reveal weak spots and really the only ugly spot was on the drivers side. I used a good piece of the patch for the rear wheel well to make a floor piece. Gotta love recycling!

Cab supports were in excellent shape, in fact I found clean rust free metal under the rockers in most spots and in the rocker boxes too. I have pictures to prove it, but the above sob story covers that. SO today I went and took some crummy cell phone pictures. Better than nothing I guess!

Next step is to figure out my color scheme, pound out two small dents, the only two on the whole truck are minor, and get it painted. Anyone, know how to get at the back side of the bolts that hold the factory spare tire carrier on? Someone used the fire wrench on them, and I'd like to use the factory carrier if I can, so welding over them is not really an option.
Attached Images