The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Wallee

Cheap performance mods thread!

Post your cheap hp gain performance mods, can be anything as long as its cheap! So we have a figure of cheap I would say anything 200 dollars and under could be considered cheap when you think of what could be spent on a engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Cheap performance mods thread!

Quite simply in the number one spot should be the black 4 HOLE phenolic 1" carb spacer.

Number two could be long tube headers.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Wallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
Quite simply in the number one spot should be the black 4 HOLE phenolic 1" carb spacer.

Number two could be long tube headers.
Carb spacer, any info on how it works? Excuse my ignorance on spacers but how do they work and how much power increase are we talkin?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

In a nutshell....they isolate the carb from heat and extend the throttle bores in the base plate by 1". This gives the fuel a little more time to atomize before it is whirled into the intake runners. They can be great for our trucks in helping the low end torque. On general street applications, you should run a 4 hole on both dual plane and open plenum intakes. Must be careful when using on spread bore intakes. Usually will require a thin steel plate for proper mating. It's not that they provide a tone of HP, it's that the HP gains to cost of item is really good. Could be in the 3-8 HP range or more. What I seem to notice is a pickup in throttle response.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Wallee

Quote:
In a nutshell....they isolate the carb from heat and extend the throttle bores in the base plate by 1". This gives the fuel a little more time to atomize before it is whirled into the intake runners. They can be great for our trucks in helping the low end torque. On general street applications, you should run a 4 hole on both dual plane and open plenum intakes. Must be careful when using on spread bore intakes. Usually will require a thin steel plate for proper mating. It's not that they provide a tone of HP, it's that the HP gains to cost of item is really good. Could be in the 3-8 HP range or more. What I seem to notice is a pickup in throttle response.

Nice! Love the detailed information, I might have to look into doing that on my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Actually....I'm going to change the number one spot. I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle. Nice parts that are not properly tuned/setup do not provide performance gains! You can gain/lose tons of hp just by having a carb and timing all messed up!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Wallee

Your right about that for sure!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Coley

Smile Re: Cheap performance mods thread!

Definitely 'ditto' on the tune-up comments posted by Pro-Street. The other mods (under $200) that come to mind would be either an aluminum intake (dual plane) manifold and/or a set of reasonable exhaust headers. These would/could be economical if bought as quality used....and I'm a big fan of that!!!
Now, back to the carb spacer...that is really interesting. I thought that they were best for high rpm advantage, not lower rpm torque? I'm not sure where I got that 'high rpm advantage' info, it isn't from experience either way.
If that is the case.....hmmmm, I'm going to look into that mod a little further.
Question: what about the aluminum carb spacers? (note: it seems to me that the aluminum ones...which there are a lot of....would transfer heat just like the cast or aluminum intakes....so I'm not sure why the alum. ones would be much good). The phenolic ones (non-metal) sure make a lot more sense for heat isolation to me.
Good thread guys...keep the ideas and feedback comin'.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
geezer#99

You're right Coley about the heat transfer part. You know they make them out of wood too!!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

i agree with the tuneup----get the ignition dialed in precise for the engine.

Also, i think theres transmission modulator thing that can either be adjusted (free) or replaced ($12) to provide higher rpm shift points.

Also, if quadrajet then different metering rods and jets. Cheap.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
dmw319

Quote:
I have one I just put on my intake (which I think is a spread bore) but I dont have a thin steel plate (there was one but it seemed redundant so I took it out). Truck seems to run fine though? Hmmm

dmw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
BMERDOC

C-10 Simplex is right about the ignition. Timing, not just initial, but how it advances and how far it advances really makes an improvement. More reseach and tinkering involved and the parts don't cost a lot.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
Wallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
i agree with the tuneup----get the ignition dialed in precise for the engine.

Also, i think theres transmission modulator thing that can either be adjusted (free) or replaced ($12) to provide higher rpm shift points.

Also, if quadrajet then different metering rods and jets. Cheap.

On that quadrajet thing, new metering rods and jets? Any certain kind of jets? Hard to do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
On that quadrajet thing, new metering rods and jets? Any certain kind of jets? Hard to do?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, not hard to do..but you have to figure out if you actually need to to begin with and what your particular engine needs.
Usually just a carb rebuild restores a lot of power through the better tuning. After that you have to find out which carb you have....then check to see what rods and jets you have in it. From there you can start with just changing the rods....this leaves your idle, low speed alone and changes your mid throttle.
You can bring on the secondaries sooner by adjusting the 'opening point' on the left (passenger side) of the carb....but be careful. Too much adjustment here will create bog.
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Wallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
No, not hard to do..but you have to figure out if you actually need to to begin with and what your particular engine needs.
Usually just a carb rebuild restores a lot of power through the better tuning. After that you have to find out which carb you have....then check to see what rods and jets you have in it. From there you can start with just changing the rods....this leaves your idle, low speed alone and changes your mid throttle.
You can bring on the secondaries sooner by adjusting the 'opening point' on the left (passenger side) of the carb....but be careful. Too much adjustment here will create bog.
Coley
Thanks! I might check into that, anyone else liking all these ideas!?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
Gumby

a higher stall torque convertor, best seat of the pants mod ever. I don't come around corners and have to open all 4 for a laugh, just flash to TC to stall speed
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
cdowns

REMOVE WEIGHT a noticable amount of weight reduced give a noticable measureable differance in performance FREE
SYNTHETICS rear and tranny spin easier wheel bearings roll easier

less airflow under a vehicle cause less drag// i've built front air dams for less than a hundred
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

RE: the metering rods/jets etc. Yes, find out what you have for a baseline and then you may only have to go bigger one size and that may have a noticeable effect.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #19
cableguy0

The absolute cheapest power you can get is setting the timing and ignition curve properly. A weight and spring kit for an hei is 9 bucks. In most cases between setting the curve and timing properly its worth 25+ horsepower for under 10 bucks and an hours work.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
kikkegek

I would suggest loosing the ugly flex-fan or fan-clutch and installing a electrical fan.

engine will rev easier, because you loose the heavy fan and you will gain a couple of HP.

the mod is easy and will cost you under $100,-

engine bay will also look much cleaner.

and then make a fanshroud using:
http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54...FanShroud.html
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
Gumby

Ive done em all, inake, carb, ign mods, exhaust

Only mod that was ever an instant "oh my" giggle like a school girl every time, was my TC upgrade. And its only a 2200 stall 12" from ACC accperformance.com

would like a 2800 10" now
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
REMOVE WEIGHT a noticable amount of weight reduced give a noticable measureable differance in performance FREE
SYNTHETICS rear and tranny spin easier wheel bearings roll easier

less airflow under a vehicle cause less drag// i've built front air dams for less than a hundred
What sucks is sometimes removing weight can be very expensive because some things must be replaced with a lighter part. Lighter part = racing part (sometimes) = $$$.

I know what you meant though. I reduced friction by going with this thing they call a rolling.....or roller cam. Not cheap either!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
terry b

steal a car with a great motor and put it in your truck.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
Coley

Another inexpensive one is to switch from the stock 1.5:1 ratio rockers to the 1.6:1.
This adds lift to the valves which gives the same results as a mild cam changeout...without changing the cam. You would see a noticeable improvement in your low end torque and response straight away.
Ideally the rockers would be roller or equivalent...and you might get a good deal locally (used) or thereabouts.
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 09-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Just be careful because that can add .030 of lift or more (or less). Don't want to take springs that might be at there limit and send them into coil bind or something else. Granted...there is a lot to take into consideration in this area.