The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
tsnow678

1972 Hybrid 2wd-4wd

I recently purchased a 1972 Chevy ssswb and knew immediately the body didn't come from the factory sitting on the 4wd frame. However the deal was too good to pass up as I am not into the originality of this truck. I have a few questions for you experienced guys/gals. I know for a fact the cab is a 1972 2wd, what I dont know is how to tell what year the frame and drivetrain is. The engine and trans are not original but my main concern is the front and rear axles, transfer case, frame etc. How can I tell what year rears I have? Do I use 2wd body bushiings or 4wd body bushings? The reason I ask about the body bushings is this, the bed is resting against the cab. I looked under the truck and it seems as if the bed is located on the frame correctly and the body bushings on the cab are tolerable for now. Are there points on the frame that I can measure from that would indicate whether the cab is too far rearwards or the bed is too far forward or both? If you cant answer all of my questions, I will take what I can get! I am a few weeks away from starting on this truck and will definately start a build thread on this site. I just want to start gathering the right pieces now. Any help with this project would be greatly appreciated. Link to my Camaro build is in my sig.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
litew8

Re: 1972 Hybrid 2wd-4wd

First, we need some pictures. Second, I'd guess and say that the 4x4 frame is the same as a C20 frame.
The front cab mounts are different. Check my pages for pictures.
I have the C20 frame, which require larger cab bushings. Try asking member Dieselwrencher for other differences.

My build also references where to find the frame VIN.
You'll be able to date it (the frame). The axles have some numbers too, not sure how to decode.

Last edited by litew8; 02-06-2012 at 10:53 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote