The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #26
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: B's 70 2wd Blazer

Oh yeah...I did have to ditch the flow controls due to no longer having the room for them. The nice thing is that I had them wide open and liked the speed. The port off my tank is actually 3/8" rather than 1/2" like my lines and valves. I've read that the system is as fast as the smallest opening, so my lift should be fine. If my dump it too fast since it's true 1/2", all the dump valves are mounted with easy access to be to put a cap with holes to slow it down. If anyone needs a set of 1/2" PTC flow controls, I have 4 of them...
Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #27
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I did the get the front bags fully plumbed as well. I drilled through the side of the stock crossmember's spring pocket towards the rear of the blazer for the air line. I wish I would have drilled the hole a little closer to the frame because the line goes behind the shock and actually makes pretty good contact as is. I used a rubber insulated clamp under the frame to pull the line away from the shock. I finally got to use my tap and dye set too!
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2012, 03:34 AM   #28
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I got everything buttoned up on my EDC as well. I think I said this before, but it's a York 210 off a Volvo from pick-n-pull and I got the bracket off a 4x4 guy. I really wish I had fab/welding skills because I spent a lot of dough making this darn thing work with all bolt in stuff. The only SBC bracket I found for the York is the one I'm running, so I had to do a lot to make it work in the blazer. 1st, the stock master was in the way...but only by 1/2". I found another bracket off another C10 on the board that actually raised the whole set up a little higher which allowed the bracket and York to fit. The bracket is set up to run off the PS pulley, so I also needed a double groove pulley. After getting that, I noticed that using the pump in the stock location wasn't going to work because the belt would hit the frame, so I needed a new bracket that moved the pump up higher. After getting that, I then needed a different PS pump because the return line off the back was hitting the block. Also, moving the pump required new PS lines, so I got a set of braided hoses. It turned out to be a lot of money for this darn thing, but oh well, I couldn't stand the 14 minute fill times that single 440 viair put out.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #29
tubbedII
needs more $$$

In order to run the York, I needed a stainless leader hose to handle the heat, so I used 2' of 3/8" line from vaiair...pretty cheap from Summit at about 40 bucks. From there it goes into an oil filter since you have to fill the York with about 4 oz of ATF to keep it lubed which will pass through rings and get into the valves if you don't run one. I mounted this to the firewall as you can see from the pic. The filter didn't come with a mounting bracket, but the MSD coil bracket worked perfectly! After the filter it goes to a 1 way check valve and then a square d pressure switch with a purge (not the right word, but I can't remember what it's really called) that relieves the pressure from the check valve to the York so it doesn't wear out the rings. From there it just goes to tank which will still be behind the seat since there's no room under the tub.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2012, 03:52 AM   #30
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I also got the Jeep Cherokee fan all buttoned up and final wired with a temp switch kit from Summit. I put the temp sending unit at the head since the one on to the gauge is already routed at the intake next to the t-stat housing. I know this isn't ideal, but I didn't want to re-route the wire for the gauge since I wrapped it in place with electrical tape.

I don't know how well this fan performs just yet, but I love how it looks installed! Really looks like it was made for it.

The other pic just shows the new positive battery connector that I used in order to feed power to the starter, amps and relays I used for the headlights and electric fan.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #31
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Hopefully during the week I can get the tank mounted and plumbed so I can start on re-wiring the switches. Once that's done, I can actually put the wheels back on and get the blazer off the jack stands!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
VA72C10
VA72C10

Great progress!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #33
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Tonight I routed the lines from the valves into the tub and to the tank. Nothing really to brag about, but I am a little excited about figuring out how to plumb a drain for the tank. There was a hole next to my rear licence plate that I enlarged and fit a shredder valve in. I'm going to run some 1/4" line to it from the bottom fitting on the tank and use it as a drain but also to fill the tank in case something ever happens to the compressor. Sorry again for the crappy pic, but my only digital camera is my phone...
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #34
jimmydean

Nice work!

my '69 had a York in it for aftermarket AC and like a jackass, I tossed it before I knew better.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #35
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Thanks, Dave! The worst part about it is one day the pullies and brackets are probably going to be all redone anyways because I do want a/c-heat in the Blazer...but I'll tackle that hurdle when I get to it.

I picked up a vacuum bleeder from a friend today at lunch. It hooks up to an air compressor to build vacuum, so if this doesn't get the fluid flowing, I'll at least know there's a bigger problem.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #36
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Not a whole lot done last night. I had an extra set of hands helping me out, so we worked on mounting the tank and getting all the fittings right. I got the line from the compressor into the tub and all the holes in the carpet cut and cleaned. Hit a bump trying to get the fittings from the drain through the floor board...I'm going to have to drop the gas tank to get it done, so we called it quits and moved to beer curls instead...
Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #37
jstplyn331

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
I also got the Jeep Cherokee fan all buttoned up and final wired with a temp switch kit from Summit. I put the temp sending unit at the head since the one on to the gauge is already routed at the intake next to the t-stat housing. I know this isn't ideal, but I didn't want to re-route the wire for the gauge since I wrapped it in place with electrical tape.

I don't know how well this fan performs just yet, but I love how it looks installed! Really looks like it was made for it.

The other pic just shows the new positive battery connector that I used in order to feed power to the starter, amps and relays I used for the headlights and electric fan.
What year Cherokee is that from?

Thanks and nice job on the build
Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #38
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Thanks, jstplyn331!

I got the fan idea from this thread: another cheap electric fan build!

It's P/N: CBG4F250
I don't know all the years this fan came on, but the thread said 2000 and 2002 grand cherokees. I got mine online for $40, but I guess going to the chrysler dealership is just as cheap. They were recalled so I would stick with getting a new one, not a used one.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #39
jstplyn331

Quote:
Thanks, jstplyn331!

I got the fan idea from this thread: another cheap electric fan build!

It's P/N: CBG4F250
I don't know all the years this fan came on, but the thread said 2000 and 2002 grand cherokees. I got mine online for $40, but I guess going to the chrysler dealership is just as cheap. They were recalled so I would stick with getting a new one, not a used one.
Nice, I appreciate it. I was curious about your gas tank also, as I have been looking at them from Boyds, Do you have a picture of it from behind just curious on how far it hangs down and or is exposed?

Thanks again
Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #40
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I took one from the side this morning, but couldn't from the rear. The one from the rear is from a while ago right after I bagged it. The lowest part of the tank is 6.5" below the frame. I know that sounds like a lot, but the bottom of the TA's u-bolt is a little over 9" lower than the same part of the frame with it all the way in the notch and a 2" block

You can't see it normally below the body or rear bumper unless you bend down, but you can see it through the rear wheel wells...or maybe it's just cuz of the big windows in my wheels.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #41
Bennett68C10

Subscribed, sweet looking Blazer
Posted via Mobile Device

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #42
tubbedII
needs more $$$

The tank is now mounted and all the switches are wired. With that, it was time to focus on the front of the tub. My plans are to have a decent stereo system, so I layed down some RAAMMat. I didn't do a full cover on my floor because of budget for one, but the other is that I don't plan on having the top on very often. I used RAAMMat BXT II, after A LOT of reading about different types of sound deadener. This stuff is supposed to be very good and is actually the best priced stuff on the market that I found. My only other experience with this stuff is a roll of Dynomat that I used on my brother's Tahoe, and this stuff is MUCH easier to work with. I didn't cut my hands at all and it stuck to everything VERY well.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #43
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Based on the recommendation of RAAMmat's website, I also installed the Ensolite IUO. Since this stuff was in one huge mat (not squares like the previous layer), it was a serious PITA to install. I should have cut it up in pieces instead of trying to install it as one, but that's a learning lesson I guess.

I did a little pounding on the metal before and after, and the difference is amazing! I'm going to also put some of this on the inside of the door panels, but I'm going to wait until I build the kick panels for the speakers to get into that.

In the 1st pic, the black lines are for my air gauges. I ran them through the ledge in the floor and then along the tranny hump and up the firewall...you see why a little later.

The black duct tape in the 2nd pic is holding down the rca cables for my amp which is mounted underneath the rear bench. I ran the rcas down the middle, the speaker wires down the driver side and the power wire down the passenger so they are all separated.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #44
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Well, I've been waiting for this moment for a very long time, and I'm really excited that they are finally in! It's 2 things, 1st being the radio bezel that I bought off the board from 71rustpile. I know there were a couple versions out there, but this thing is perfect! The radio's plastic trim fit it exactly, as well as it's cage. It's extremely solid even without the rear braced. The radio is a Kenwood Excelon 994 and is bluetooth enabled. I mounted the mic right under the dash.

The 2nd part are the gauges. Since I don't have heat/air, I took out the controls and used the mounting bracket. I had a piece of metal bent holes cut in it so the 2 air ride gauges are mounted in the center. I used the light wire for the heater controls to light up the gauges which also have cool white LEDs like the rest of my gauges.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #45
tubbedII
needs more $$$

So now I could get the carpet back in as well wire up the courtesy lights. Luckily the door jamb buttons worked and all I needed was a new set of sockets since mine were broken. I bought a new set from Truck and Car shop which made it really easy to run some wires to the rear of the cab for some additional lighting when I get the rear panels built.

I got the console off a board member Hotrodhomi for an awesome deal since it had almost everything and stainless steel hardware, plus no cracks! It cleaned up real good and painted it black. I didn't like how it sat level with the seats, so I built a box that was 4" high for it to sit on...this way I could rest my arm on it while driving.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #46
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I didn't like how close I sat to the steering wheel, and I don't know if all blazers are like this, but there were threaded holes a little over 2" behind the rear mounts on mine. Almost as if there are 2 sizes of brackets. I mounted the rear of the driver seat to these holes, and cut up a 4x4 angle bracket so the fronts could mount. Here's a pic of the pieces I used for the front mounts and how close the back of the seat is now to the floor ledge.

The other 2 pics show the console and the seats all in place. It's a little weird how nothing really lines up, but I'd much rather be comfortable behind the wheel.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #47
tubbedII
needs more $$$

It's getting close to getting back on the road!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #48
jmedero

Good work man it's looking really good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #49
jstplyn331

Quote:
The tank wasn't attached in the stock location...it was actually sitting in the tub behind the bench, so I called up Boyd's and had a nice aluminum tank sent out...after installing it and wiring, the gas gauge finally worked too!

The actual plumbing of the filler neck was a chore though...it was over a year ago, but I remember running a T off the vent for a motorcyle check valve to allow the pressure to release as well as a one going back up to the neck for filling. Also, the filler neck off the truck and to the tank were different sizes, so I had to use reducers to get it all to work. It all seems to be ok because I can fill up the tank at the pump without any overflow issues!

Sorry...never took any pics of the tank installed...
Hey I don't know if you have compared, but I have a 2wd also, and it has a very big tank in it right now. Do you know or have you ever checked to see it the 2wd tank is the same as a 4wd? just curious as I am going all out on my 4wd, and will be throwing the 2wd to drive around for the summer to get my fix. I tried to sale it, but decided against it. I have wanted an original for way to long to let it go.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #50
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I don't believe there's a difference between the 2 and 4 in tank size. But there is an oversized tank for Blazers out there that I think was issued by the military. So are you saying you're looking to toss the tank from the 4 into the 2wd just to get it rolling around?

If that's the case, and the tank hangs about 5" below the frame, it should be fine. If it hangs more than that, you probably have the oversized tank and depending on how low the 2wd is, it may not work...

BTW..just checked out your build...that thing is going to be super nice!