The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
richeilers

71 Blazer 2WD project

Hey guys (and girls?)
Just joined the forums a couple weeks ago when I knew I was getting a 71 Blazer (from fellow board member BabyBlue). When I say "PO", it won't necessarily mean him, he didn't have it too long himself and I suspect that a lot of what I find will be the owners before him doing it, so please don't take offense Nick. Slim stats: original 2WD, now has a 72-78 454...was a 350/350, CST, single wall top, 19 year old paint, TH 400 trans with Lokar shifter - used to be a column shift so I'll be looking to replace that column with a smooth tilt model. No A/C...ugh, lowering coils and C notched in back. Picked it up on the 25th and drove it 730 miles home. Quite the "shakedown" cruise. Realized I have some suspension fixes to figure out - on bumps it like to rock/sway from corner to corner......thinking maybe a bad shock on one corner? However, I did see last night that it looks like the left front coil is cock-eyed between the control arms. I don't have a spring compressor so will take it to somebody that does and hope they can get it in place. But, made it home (Northern KY) all in one piece.
First few fixes, momma said there MUST be seat belts all around, only had female buckles in the back, NO driver belts at all and the passenger one is somewhat broken. Got cheapy lap belts at Advance Auto for the back - bolted easily right to the 4 floor mount bolts for the seat - btw, how is the front supposed to be held down? Mine has nothing right now, moved the buckle up to the front passenger and now looking for a single male clip side for the driver. Carpet was not put in very well, way too short under the dash. Not sure if they used the wrong set or what but it seems too short. My short-term fix is to move the back edge of it to the floor and paint the vertical "wall" flat black. Figure with the seats and console in, it won't be too noticeable. And finally, have no radiator shroud (yet, have a line on an OEM one to go look at tomorrow) but it doesn't look like there's a lot of room for it. In the event it doesn't I've ordered an electric pusher cooling fan for the front side of the radiator. Probably should put it in now matter what. But to do so, I have to relocate the tranny cooler - not too big of task if the hoses will reach. Next up? I don't know.....I'm easily distracted "oh look a squirrel!!" so it could be about anything. Which reminds me, need to build a hoist for the garage for lifting off the top. I've seen only one thread with good pics but would be happy to see/hear anyone else's hoist stories. Though, while writing this novel, I got a text for a thing called "hoist a top" for Jeep hardtops. Pretty sure they're a ton lighter than a Blazer top, but I'll look into it. Much more later, I'm sure.
Attached Images

1971 Blazer 2wd CST 454 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=641414
richeilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
richeilers

Re: 71 Blazer 2WD project

to continue.....pics of rear seatbelt mounting. It'll do until I move on to some Tahoe/Escalade 3rd row seats with the shoulder harness. Holes in the hatch where the bracket/sliders used to be. Planning to use gas shocks/struts but have only seen rumors about anyone else doing it. If anyone's seen it/done it, let me know what I need to get. And a pic with what's left of the handle guts......not even sure what all else I need to make this complete and operable. Any help here is appreciated.

And just so y'all know, I didn't buy this to "jump into the hobby", as a kid then teenager I've had a 55 Chevy swb stepside, 66 SS Nova, 65 Impala SS Convertible and a 69 Hugger Orange, white stripes, white interior Camaro (kept for 17 yrs). All were projects on one level or another. I completed Auto Mechanics tech school in 1981 before heading off to the Army for almost 21 years. This is now my opportunity to pick up where I left off about 32 yrs ago....and just have fun doing it. Oh yeah, my dad was into Model A's and 1940 F**ds and then Stangs so I helped him A LOT on those restorations. But, I don't weld and hate wiring and not a fan of body work (my twin brother took the Auto Body course while I was in Mechanics class, he got all of the fun work!.....love the wrenching parts.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
richeilers

hmmm, maybe this time with pics.......and added a pic of the male end of the seatbelt I still need if anyone's got one laying around.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
richeilers

Ok, before I wear out my welcome...lol. Last for the day....maybe. Pic of my carpet situation. Hope I can move it far enough forward and not have to buy new. This is already pretty new I think. Update on the top hoist. Pic two is a rendering of a "made for a Blazer" frame that Lange Originals makes. I don't see how those rear hooks can work without lengthening them a couple feet to reach the lower corner of the top. I'm checking on it with them. They don't stock them, have to build them so it's 3-4 weeks. Manual lift but can be upgraded to an electric winch of some sort. Manual is $351. Probably need to get one and find out if it's worth it........will let y'all know.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
notsolo

Very Nice I like it. Not sure but I think some of the Suburban guys may have used gas struts on the rear hatch. What kind of mileage do you get.? More photo's too please ( under the hood )...Ed
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
richeilers

Thanks......haven't started under the hood yet. That'll wait. But I'm guessing the chrome that's there is 20 yrs old and you can see there's a bunch of leaks. Mileage on the way home varied between about 12.5 and 14.6......probably amount normal for a 454. No tach in it yet so not sure what I was revving and I don't know yet what's in the 12 bolt.....prob 3:73s.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
richeilers

Ok, found this on the vertical "wall" behind the drivers seat. What is it? Looks like a thumb thread type thing on there.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
notsolo

Looks like a window crank, maybe someone else will chime in. .. gas mileage is more likely due to th400. if your looking for parts, member teeitup ( randy ) might have fan shroud. that's where I got mine ....here is a thread about strut replacement..67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=220511
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
jaros44sr

Looks like a fuel switch to me......what s it look like on the backside of the wall

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
richeilers

Here's the backside. The two red arrow lines point to the center of the vehicle, the blue line points toward the left rear wheel area. All three lines are rubber and are all cut off. The "nut/knobby, window crank" thing on the inside appears to be hollow. There is not another of these on the passenger side.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
jaros44sr

Yep, fuel transfer valve. Just missing the knob, screw on the front side

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 08-31-2014, 12:49 AM   #12
richeilers

Transfer fuel from where to where? There's only one tank, never been room for two. How'd that work? Do all Blazers have them?

Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #13
notsolo

I would never have guessed a 2nd fuel tank in a 2wd Blazer. But saddle tanks were available like these.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeilers View Post
Transfer fuel from where to where? There's only one tank, never been room for two. How'd that work? Do all Blazers have them?
If you ever want to get rid of it, let me know.....

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #15
richeilers

Thanks for that pic, makes sense to me now.
As for selling it, Jaro......think I'll hang on to it for a bit.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
richeilers

Another "whatizit"......this strip with 4 screws, it used to hold something in place.....what?

Think I've figured out the gas strut/hatch fix. Lift Supports Depot has some 18 1/2 inch extended, 11 1/4 inch compressed struts. Each with 45 lbs force (support). I can use the existing bracket mount hole (top one) that I'll screw the ball stud in to for the bottom mount and they sell a "L" bracket stud support that will bolt in close to where the top slider bracket was in the hatch. Biggest question: are the 45 lb supports big enough? I could go up to a 67 lb but don't want to make closing the hatch any tougher. Thoughts??
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #17
notsolo

1 piece weather strip goes down the side under the chrome carpet strip and up the other side, Seals tailgate from exhaust fumes etc. I bought 1 from Classic Parts. Tailgate to body seal http://www.classicparts.com/Misc-Bed...65/.......post some photos when you get the struts on the hatch figured out. also 2wd fan shroud is smaller than 4x4.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeilers View Post
Thanks for that pic, makes sense to me now.
As for selling it, Jaro......think I'll hang on to it for a bit.
No problem....

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
richeilers

Seems I need about 100 of the 5/16th bolts used throughout this Blazer, especially now I need the seat hold down bolts. I've search a few old parts suppliers online without success. Who/where is the best place to find these things? I need different lengths too. Thanks!!

Old 09-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #20
notsolo

( Mcmaster carr ) has everything from nuts and bolts to fuel hose...Also I bought a a bunch of stainless washers, nuts, and bolts from ( Bolt Depot ).
Old 09-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #21
richeilers

thanks notsolo....may need them later on......want to get some OEM ones for now.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #22
richeilers

Couple of updates: carpet got pulled up to where it belongs and removed a block of wood they had the shifter boot screwed to and mounted it right to the floor.
Installed a 13" Flex-a-lite pusher fan with a knob controlled thermostat. Easy. Haven't road-tripped it yet to see if it keeps it cooler.
Hatch shocks - Had planned to put the bottom ball stud into the existing hatch bracket threaded hole. But that is a 1/4 in course nut back there. Only ball studs I can find are 5/16s or M6 which is basically a 1/4 in. but it's Fine threaded.......search continues.
Had wondered where my seatbelts were going to mount. Found 1 of 4 bolts under the carpet. Turns out when they put in the saddle tanks and fuel transfer valve they had to have used the driver's door side seatbelt hole for the valve because I then found a threaded hole on the floorpan part which doesn't exist on the other side.
Next up - get someone to get my left front coil spring in where it belongs so it doesn't sit so dang crooked. Then on to figuring out the fuel gauge.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #23
richeilers

Shocks for the hatch arriving this week. If/when it works I'll document with pics and info on getting your own.
Shroud painted and installed. Not a lot of clearance, half inch maybe, between the blade and shroud. It didn't rub in the garage but sure enough, got on the long skinny pedal a little bit on the street and the engine torqued enough for the blade to hit the shroud......time for a smaller fan. Not sure if I only want to downsize by 1 inch or if I should go 2 inches.....it's an 18 inch now.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #24
richeilers

Hatch shocks are on! Works great. Didn't go all as planned but made it work. Lift Supports Depot was great helping me get what I needed. Lou himself even emailed me a time or two to make sure I got what I needed. Once I figured out that I couldn't get a ball stud to work on the bottom, they offered to put a different end on it so I could use a bolt. I used the following shock. http://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/lif...pot-4185e32-w/ I based that selection on measurements I had done on the old hatch support slider I had. I get the correct height on the hatch but the shock doesn't compress all the way, which actually works since I noticed the shock barrel dips down a little on the rod as I open the hatch, so some space is needed. I also wasn't able to bolt in the top ball stud brackets as planned so I used rivets instead. If I were to do it over I'd get a different bracket than shown, that slot is not as big as I thought it would be and I'd feel better using a larger rivet. Seems to be holding well now though. Hope the pictures add in the correct order.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #25
richeilers

Hatch pics continued......
Attached Images