The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
MD2020

Bucket seats

I need bucket seats because of my 4 speed shifter. And I want new seats or some used modern seat out of some kind of production car.

There was a bench seat in this truck that came out of something else (mystery seat) and I need a little room for for my legs (a seat that will go back as far as possible, one with a low back should help)

I looked at some at TMI

What seats fit good for these 55-59 trucks?
MD2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Bucket seats

any seat no matter what type will only go back to the window and no further. stock bench goes to the window. removing the tank gives you no more leg room. i made extra leg room by raising the seat 2". i have 07 ford fusion seats, electric on the side that counts
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 03:43 PM   #3
Kevin_C

I went with TMI sports. If your a bigger guy the TMI sport classics have less bolster. Prices were pretty good through summit
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
mr48chev

I have to agree with Ogre, 99% of the time changing seats isn't going to get you any extra leg room

The only thing that will get you more leg room is a seat with a very thin lean back that has the same angle as the original seat. The backs on car seats normally angle back more and eat up leg room.

Kevin snuck one in on me. If you look at the seat backs on the seats they are very thin and that gets your back closer to the back of the cab. That is what you are looking for in a seat.

I'd be looking at mini van front seats rather than car seats. some of them have pretty upright lean backs and not a lot of padding on the back.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 10-18-2022 at 04:54 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:28 PM   #5
Chopped53

I used Tea's Seats. They have a "skinny back" seat that is designed to maximize room in tight spaces. I went with the skinny bench in my '53, but they have buckets too.

Here's the link to their catalog:

https://teasdesign.com/wp-content/up...AS-CATALOG.pdf
Attached Images

Chopped53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:40 PM   #6
MD2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped53 View Post
I used Tea's Seats. They have a "skinny back" seat that is designed to maximize room in tight spaces. I went with the skinny bench in my '53, but they have buckets too.

Here's the link to their catalog:

https://teasdesign.com/wp-content/up...AS-CATALOG.pdf

I like it thank you
Old 10-18-2022, 11:24 PM   #7
mr48chev

Back years ago I Test sat a Tea's design seat at the Pleasanton Goodguys and If I had had the money I would have bought it on the spot. That was probably the most comfortable seat I had ever sat on at that time. I got some dude in a bit of a huff as his lady was test sitting it with me when he found her.

One of my reasons for building the stretch cab was/is that I have a pair of bucket seats stashed back that are seriously comfortable but won't work in a standard cab.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:21 PM   #8
mrbuck

I’m using bmw seats. From I believe a mid 2010 3 series sedan
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2022, 10:48 PM   #9
MD2020

This is the seat that was in the truck when I got it, about 14" from the back wall to my back, wasn't enough room for me.
I remembered I had these pictures so I posting them now. I'm a ding bat

Stuck out past the floor

They look like they are to far forward to me
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2022, 11:18 PM   #10
mr48chev

Right there on MrBucks truck is a prime example of putting sporty bucket seats out of a car in a truck.

Beautiful and omg comfortable seat but the angle of the lean back shoves out into short leg guy territory.

I've got seats out of a Volvo that I'd really like to use if the mice haven't destoyed them in the trailer but they have that same angle on the lean back.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2022, 07:57 AM   #11
mrbuck

I’m 6’2 and fit in there almost comfortably, of course I’d love a couple more inches of leg room. But I think that’s the case all the time with these old trucks.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:27 AM   #12
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_C View Post
I went with TMI sports. If your a bigger guy the TMI sport classics have less bolster. Prices were pretty good through summit
nice seats kev, the only thing i'd do to get leg room is raise them
imo, highback seats just don't look right in out trucks.
the 07 ford fusion seats got chopped 6" and then raise 2".
the first i sat in them i cracked my noggin on the top of the window frame,
thus the headrest addition above the window
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #13
mr48chev

I'm going to have to say that legroom and total comfort are pretty well subjective to the individuals involved.

It's 436 miles door to door to my son and daughter in laws house in Wendell Idaho taking 6-1/2 hours plus a food and gas stop somewhere and maybe a quick stop and check on MartinSr and stretch the legs for a few minutes around Boise. In truth comfort is paramont when it comes to seat, leg space and pedal placement and gas pedal angle. Gas pedal angle being more important than legroom.

I'm always amazed that guys say that the stock seats don't have any leg room but my 6-4 uncle drove one for years along with driving a lot of small cab trucks over the years. This is the guy the local clothing store kept two pair of special length levi's in the back room for because he wore a longer length than anyone else in town at the time.

The lower the seat cushion the less leg room you have no matter what seat you have.

Old 10-29-2022, 05:15 PM   #14
MD2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'm going to have to say that legroom and total comfort are pretty well subjective to the individuals involved.

It's 436 miles door to door to my son and daughter in laws house in Wendell Idaho taking 6-1/2 hours plus a food and gas stop somewhere and maybe a quick stop and check on MartinSr and stretch the legs for a few minutes around Boise. In truth comfort is paramont when it comes to seat, leg space and pedal placement and gas pedal angle. Gas pedal angle being more important than legroom.

I'm always amazed that guys say that the stock seats don't have any leg room but my 6-4 uncle drove one for years along with driving a lot of small cab trucks over the years. This is the guy the local clothing store kept two pair of special length levi's in the back room for because he wore a longer length than anyone else in town at the time.

The lower the seat cushion the less leg room you have no matter what seat you have.
I agree, I wish I had some kind of seat to check out in the truck, A guy that rents a building from me does body work for used car lots, maybe I could get one from there and I would know more than I do now.

Thanks for the info guy's
Old 10-29-2022, 07:06 PM   #15
mr48chev

Between 1981 and 2004 I lost track of how many different seats I had in my 48 A couple to replace what was a nice seat when I put it in but had the foam go bad in a year or so.

The most comfortable of the lot was the 66 Olds Toronado seat that I wish I had stuck in the shed and saved. That fit the truck good, had an arm rest and the seat back was more like a bucket seat back than a bench seat back. I think I used 2 inch square tubing to raise it up but it still sat lower than the stock seat. They are non existant now and if you did find one it would have a collector car parts price on it.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:15 PM   #16
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post

I'm always amazed that guys say that the stock seats don't have any leg room but my 6-4 uncle drove one for years along with driving a lot of small cab trucks over the years.
i've driven tf trucks since 1972; coast to coast, border to boarder, probably a couple times. i've always wanted a little more leg room, always. at 6'4" i'm the shortest male in my family. my legs don't work all that well anymore either

Old 10-31-2022, 01:44 PM   #17
leegreen

It is interesting to note how many dimensions in the seat/wheel/floor relationship are the same from the 50s to the 90s. I spent some time with these two pictures and measuring my various DD before I put a Sierra seat into my AD.
I also did a full size profile of firewall, dash and floor in cardboard to mock up my firewall mounted pedals, putting the pedals at a height that fit somewhere in the envelope of 1952, 1999, 2005 GM trucks. I moved the tilt column mount point up into the dash, welding in a piece of tubing to make a larger recess in the bottom of dash to move column further away from seat for more arm room

modern trucks have about 6" of seat travel and adjustable back angle, the AD only had 3" travel and fixed back. I'm 5'11" with 32 inseam and the Sierra seat in AD cab goes back a little further than my clutch leg needs if you bring the seat back up to that 8degree angle to match AD specs. With the seat forward a bit to where my clutch leg is flexed comfortably I can recline the back a bit more for arm room. I have not driven it past the end of the driveway yet, time will tell if I got everything right.
The TF trucks have a somewhat larger cab, but I have not seem sililar dimensions for them
Name:  AD.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  26.7 KB
Name:  CK.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  23.3 KB
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:03 AM   #18
MD2020

I test fit 2008 Silverado seat, not good.
2010 ? EDIT 2005 Tundra seat felt pretty good.
leegreen's drawings will be helpful , I'm 5'11" also.
I had the seat in the truck with the end of the seat (under your knees) 13" off the floor and the back of the seat (where the back and cushion meet) 10" from the back of the cab.
I will raise it up 1" more and check it out.
If I could one more inch back I should be good. With the head rest gone and the back shorten some it should be good.
leegreen there are 2 measurements at the bottom, 20-5/8" and can't read 16 or 18-1/2"?
Attached Images

Last edited by MD2020; 11-04-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #19
leegreen

my original is not very good, here it is larger. maybe 18?
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  42.0 KB
looks like the first number is a 26
I found it online somewhere, maybe the old car manual archive. It was about 3 year ago
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote