The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2022, 11:31 AM   #26
_Ogre

Re: Rear fender mounted turn/tail lights. What fits good?

i've always wished that i had fabricated a 3rd brake light behind the dome light
it'd be easy to wire back there
i still may make one out of long fiber filler or fiberglass

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 02:08 PM   #27
mr48chev

I bought one of those 3rd brake lights that goes in a pickups back window but will probably not use it.

A cargo light for a 67/72 (or other later truck) might convert to 3rd brake light pretty easily with a red led bulb in place of the stock bulb. That could pretty well hide in plain sight. The one problem with those though is that they take a pretty big hole for the bulb. Ok or my 71 but maybe not on a finished customm truck.
I followed a truck with one of those led strips that goes under the tailgate that has brake and turn lights yesterday and that really gets your attention. I bought one for my 71 a while back and think that will be a big help on it. They don't show much when they are off unless you actually look for them and might be easy to hide even more on an AD or TF. To the only person sees them is the guy in the car behind you when you hit the brakes or signal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11500821564...iABEgLF2PD_BwE

I think I am going to order this one for the 48. https://www.ebay.com/itm/39409757568...Bk9SR-bfys-EYQ I'll just put in a couple of switches for when I want to play "traditional hot rod" at certain shows.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 10-29-2022 at 03:14 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 01:24 AM   #28
leegreen

I like the look of original AD tail lights, but wanted more light out back to go with them.
3rd brake light is a 12" long LED strip mounted to a flange inside rear window at bottom. Reverse is old school rubber tractor lights under bumper and I am just in the midst of wiring in these 7" stop/turn/tail LEDs under tailgate. They are quite bright but I am still a couple wire connections away from being able to get a picture of them lit up in place.
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  30.6 KB
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:09 PM   #29
BBPanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
....I think I am going to order this one for the 48. https://www.ebay.com/itm/39409757568..._redirect=true
Have you seen a strip LED like this that has the wiring exiting out the back of the ribbon so its hidden once the ribbon is laid down?
BBPanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:49 AM   #30
leegreen

All the ones I have seen exit inline with the strip. I considered using a half cone sliced off a small piece of tubing welded over a hole for the wires to pass through with the strip butted into the cone.
I settled for just some cable cover and tucked neatly between bumper apron and box. Mostly just taking easy route, but I also worry about these cheap overseas accessories needing to be replaced. I see a lot of LED tail lights with flickering LEDs.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 02:29 AM   #31
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPanel View Post
Have you seen a strip LED like this that has the wiring exiting out the back of the ribbon so its hidden once the ribbon is laid down?
Honestly no I have never seen one with the wires anywhere but the end but I haven't paid a lot of attention to them until lately. When I followed that Ford pickup to town the other day and he hit the brakes there was a bright strip across under the tailgate that caught my attention and then when he hit the signals it got my attention a lot more than his regular turn signal did.

I've got a 49 Plymouth Suburban ribbed rear bumper for the 48 that has a dip in the middle for the license plate, That is going to take a special rear pan/splash apron and I plan to add a couple of extra bends for a recess for the strip. You hopefully won't see the strip standing five or six feet behind the truck. Hopfully someone in a car 25 ft behind me clearly sees the strip along with my taillights of choice. Now that you brought it up I'll just design a cover for each end to hide the wires and then match on the other side.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote