The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #101
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Thanks swampy... feels great too!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #102
Bomp

Nice talking to you on the phone.
Skimmed through your build. Great work.
You'll have it back on the road in no time.
Sub'd
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #103
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Good talking with you too! Best part about working on these trucks is the people I have met!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #104
NASTY-LSX

Wow, that's sucks. Glad you walked away. Glad to see you keeping the truck alive.
NASTY-LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #105
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Pulled the doors off today and will tear them down tomorrow. One needs a new lower door skin and they could probably both use lower sheet metal on the inside.

Got my Holley back from my carb guy today. Fresh R&R and decided to try something a little different this time. I've always built my SBC's for top end performance... but in this truck, I need some grunt down a little lower. So I changed out the 750cfm main body for a 600cfm main body. We'll see how this experiment goes. I can switch back to the 750 main body if I really don't like it all that much.

I think the smaller CFM will make a lot snappier and I'll still get the revs out of it I want.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #106
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Door day.

Taking the drivers side door apart. Looks like the inside door bottom needs to be cut out and replaced. I'm hoping that the original outer door skin can be reused. There are 2 small rust spots where it's bubbling a tad in each lower corner of the outer skin. So keeping fingers crossed that just a couple small patches and the rest can be reused.

The upper hinge pocket is toast. Don't know how I'm going to repair that. Will have to get creative I guess.

A shot trough the PO cut speaker hole shows A THICK undercoating from the factory.

Now I gotta get the wing assembly out and the regulator and latch mechanism.

Baby steps...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #107
swamp rat

Yea i had that grittie worthless insulation crap sprayed inside my doors too.

Just a fyi, if you can get away with it try and just replace patches on the outer skin and treat the folds with a rust mort of some kind that is liquid and seaps into cracks ect.

I cut about 2" below the body line and took my lower skin off, what i didn't know is that the door skin has a contour front to back and sticks out about 3/8"further in the middle than the ends, when i cut it off the door skin the built in stress relieved inward and whamo no more contour front to back, it went straight across. Welding a replacement skin on and even being super carful to not let it get hot it still wants to go further inward so i cut and removed that skin and started a second time. I followed the advice of another forum member and bought a length of 3/4" angle which was lighter duty than i wanted, i shrunk one edge to put a contour into it, clamped into place and then drilled 1/8" holes, then i took the angle off and drilled the skin up to 1/4" and reclamped the angle then spot welded the angle in place, then i spot welded the skin in place, it still shrunk inward enough that i want to start over again and plan to soon. The point of this is that replacing the lower skin is a pain in the A** so avoid it at all cost..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #108
69chevytrucker

i dont know if it would work or be worth it i have a 1969 c10 long box frame sitting in my back yard im in canada about a 11 hour drive from you and to help a guy out i would give it to you no charge
i went a diff way with my truck and i hate to throw away a good frame so if you need it and can come get it i would give it up no prob
Name:  IMG_20150801_194352.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20150801_194322.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20150801_194401.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20150801_194344.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  60.7 KB
it has disc brakes off a 84 silverado
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #109
69chevytrucker

oops guess i should have read further before i offered up the frame didnt see that you fixed it lol
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #110
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Yea i had that grittie worthless insulation crap sprayed inside my doors too.

Just a fyi, if you can get away with it try and just replace patches on the outer skin and treat the folds with a rust mort of some kind that is liquid and seaps into cracks ect.

I cut about 2" below the body line and took my lower skin off, what i didn't know is that the door skin has a contour front to back and sticks out about 3/8"further in the middle than the ends, when i cut it off the door skin the built in stress relieved inward and whamo no more contour front to back, it went straight across. Welding a replacement skin on and even being super carful to not let it get hot it still wants to go further inward so i cut and removed that skin and started a second time. I followed the advice of another forum member and bought a length of 3/4" angle which was lighter duty than i wanted, i shrunk one edge to put a contour into it, clamped into place and then drilled 1/8" holes, then i took the angle off and drilled the skin up to 1/4" and reclamped the angle then spot welded the angle in place, then i spot welded the skin in place, it still shrunk inward enough that i want to start over again and plan to soon. The point of this is that replacing the lower skin is a pain in the A** so avoid it at all cost..
That's exactly what I was wanting to hear. Too bad you had to go through all that swampy. But I intend to just do the small pitted areas and replace the lower inner of the door. Luckily that sprayed in mess doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the door so it shouldn't interfere with what I have to cut out.

Appreciate the heads up on the door skin. I really wasn't looking forward to replacing it. Still, I will have to be careful in bending back the lip around the lower part of the door to get the inner part out.

I've heard and read good things on using Rust Mort. So I'll be using that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevytrucker View Post
oops guess i should have read further before i offered up the frame didnt see that you fixed it lol
No worries my friend! Thank you for your generous offer. But like you read, I have had a '69 C10 frame for over a year awaiting the cab and bed from my '72. Trust me... there will be someone from this forum that will want that frame. Especially with the disc brake swap up front already done!

Thanks!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #111
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Getting that wing window out was a BEEOTCH!

Glass and regulator wasn't much fun either.

I'm sure it will be even more fun going back in!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #112
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Jumped over a big hurdle on Monday.

Finally amassed 6 of my buds to help life the 1972 cab onto the 1969 frame. Then we stuffed it into the garage.

Creeping Death will roll again!

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #113
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Cool, progress being made. I always liked the color combo on your truck

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #114
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Cannibalizing parts off of the '72 frame to use on the '69 frame.

The sway bar is still straight and I needed the sway bar frame mounts from the '72 frame. Of course they are riveted on. I forgot what a PITA these frame rivets are to grind away and punch out. lol:

Now I need to remove 2 rivets on the '69 frame to bolt the sway bar frame mounts to.

Started removing the spindles and upper and lower control arms from the '72. I will probably use these on the '69 frame, plus all the steering components from the '72. New bushings and new ball joints as well. I am going to upgrade the steering box to a late 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. It is the exact same box as the ones on our trucks but has a quicker steering ratio. My buddy did it to his '72 Monte Carlo and it is a super simple upgrade for a dirt cheap price. I'm going to put a new column in the truck as well.

Something I forgot about that I thought was kinda cool. There is tag on the drivers side rotor that reads "CD" not sure, but these could be the original rotors from '72.

Just plugging away... not to beat a dead horse, but is feels awesome to make progress.

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by GASoline71; 09-24-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #115
Xeen

Great story and I really like your determination, I'm going along for the rest of the ride.
You should flag your own post and get this moved to the projects and builds section because there are probably a lot of guys that are missing out that would like to follow along.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #116
jaros44sr

glad you're making progress, mine is sitting in limbo awaiting kitchen rebuild for the wife
Always liked that color, good work

Glad it was moved to the projects and builds

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #117
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

jaros... I couldn't have wrecked this truck at a worse time. We were dumping money into our old house getting ready to sell it so we could move. Time and money were at a premium and the poor truck was torn apart and back burnered.

Fast forward 1.5 years and we've sold our old home, bought a new home and moved into it back in May. FINALLY able to clock in and do work. Hard to believe it has taken this long to get back into it.

I get more nice compliments on this truck with the Medium Green and black top color scheme. So I will be repainting it the exact same colors when I get to that point.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #118
kehstr

lots of work, but worth it in the end!
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #119
slikside

I would say that rotor is more than likely original. That groove corresponds to the minimum thickness required, which is stamped onto the hub there somewhere. These rotors may have been available as NOS or something for a while, but long ago they went to a flat surface with no groove. All my recollection, anyway...could be wrong.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #120
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Sweet! Thanks for the info on the rotor. I recall the groove in the early disc brake rigs. I had a 1971 El Camino that had the same groove in the front discs.

Kinda cool to see some OEM stuff still on this truck after all these years. But alas, as I upgrade stuff... it will all be gone.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #121
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Update...

With the silly season over and some free time coming up... I was able to secure a parts truck a couple weeks ago. Bought it from a board member and drove it the 2 hours from his place to mine.

It's a 1972 GMC C2500. The grille is in way better shape than mine and a lot of parts are going to be scavenged off of it for my build. Once I'm done pilfering parts from it I will part it out.

When I was driving it home I stopped for gas, and a young boy in the back seat of the car next to me rolls down the window and asks me... "Is that The Farmtruck?" I got a good chuckle out of that.

Can't wait to get some stuff done...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #122
flashed

If you do away with those side steps and want to sell whatever they are mounted with let me know ,I want to mount some on my 1 ton .I have the steps just dont know how they mount.That is a very nice parts truck ,hope you get yours back between the ditches soon.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #123
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Awesome parts truck Gary, especially when you can drive it home!!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #124
Bomp

Score!!!
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #125
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

It has finally stopped friggin' raining around here long enough to get some stuff done!

So the 1972 cab has been sitting on the 1969 frame for quite some time. I needed to swap out the Eaton posi-traction unit and 3.73's in the '72 housing and put it in the '69 housing. I bought Moser axles to fit the stock length of the '69 but it has 5 lugs instead of 6. I will be swapping over the 5 lug stuff up front too.

So I pull the pan off of the rear end and what do I spy? A stock posi-traction unit in there! Schwiiing! So I rotate the ring gear and it is stamped 11:41. Hmm... divide 11 into 41 and it equals... 3.72777777777. 3.73's! I counted the teeth just to be shore and I'm delighted as hell! I only read about cats getting that lucky with this kind of stuff. What were the odds of that rear end in the frame I bought having a posi-unit and the same gear ratio I have?

So I'm going to change the pinion seal, put new axle bearings in it and axle seals, and slide the Moser axles in it and call it a day. If it ever craps out on me I will always have my Eaton carrier and Richmond gears as a back up.

So saved me some serious time and money.

I pulled the drum brake backing plates (with all brake harware still attached) off of the '72 and bolted them with new grade 8 bolts to the '69 tubes. I had just put an entire new drum brake setup on the '72 only a couple months before I wrecked it. The parking brake cables appear to go directly into the stock holding brackets in the trailing arms of the '69. My '72 was leaf sprung so I'm hoping all that parking brake stuff will just swap over.

I'm also reusing all of the Inline Tube SS brake lines from the '72. I will have to fabricate up a new rear bracket to mount it from the frame of the '69, since I'm going to install either a Camaro or a Chevelle gas tank back there.

For now it's sitting back on the BFG's and ET slots bolted up. I have new axle bearings and seals on order so will have to pull the axles back out later on.

Anyways... heres a few pics of from the weekend. Don't mind the crack of my buddy's butt hanging out in the one pic...

Gary
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: